ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Struggling to fit in
-
Lee Best
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 10 Mar 2013, 22:48
- Gender: Male
Struggling to fit in
Hi.
I started working for Royal mail as a postman about 7 months ago. The job is ok but im struggling to fit in with people at my office.
Ive found people not to be that friendly to new starters. Look down on them a bit
Also quite bitchy etc.
Anyone else had this problem? Did you when you started?
Normally i fit in quite well to new places but not really where i am.
I started working for Royal mail as a postman about 7 months ago. The job is ok but im struggling to fit in with people at my office.
Ive found people not to be that friendly to new starters. Look down on them a bit
Also quite bitchy etc.
Anyone else had this problem? Did you when you started?
Normally i fit in quite well to new places but not really where i am.
-
toofpick
- Posts: 26
- Joined: 20 Oct 2010, 14:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Struggling to fit in
Hang in there fella. I found the same thing when I joined. The business is going through a lot of changes at the moment and a lot of people are venting their anger at anything that moves. I've been here 16 years and still struggle with the pointless moaning. There will be a group in your office that feel the same. Its just a mix of very very bad management and a workforce who know more more than said management frustrated at their crap. It will get better as people get to know your face. Trust me!
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Struggling to fit in
I really wouldn't worry about it or take it personally, as I'm sure you've found out for yourself the job is so pressurised that there is simply no time for 'socialising' in work time.
As a new starter I'm guessing you're a part-timer who doesn't do IPS or prep which is really the only part of the working day where you get any chance at all to chat to colleagues.
As a new starter I'm guessing you're a part-timer who doesn't do IPS or prep which is really the only part of the working day where you get any chance at all to chat to colleagues.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Struggling to fit in
i wouldnt worry about it there only interested in their overtime or how much absorbing / lapsing they can do and under pressure to get their walks thrown in put door to doors together etcLee Best wrote:Hi.
I started working for Royal mail as a postman about 7 months ago. The job is ok but im struggling to fit in with people at my office.
Ive found people not to be that friendly to new starters. Look down on them a bit
Also quite bitchy etc.
Anyone else had this problem? Did you when you started?
Normally i fit in quite well to new places but not really where i am.
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Struggling to fit in
Matey don't stress
I love watching the craic in the morning
Focus on what your tasks are and once you're comfortable in your duty/duties
You'll realise it doesn't matter what else goes on
Once the bell rings its home time
And yes I had and am still having the Same situation as yourself
Realised recently that it doesn't matter
It really is only a job
One I enjoy but the office politics side is a minefield
I love watching the craic in the morning
Focus on what your tasks are and once you're comfortable in your duty/duties
You'll realise it doesn't matter what else goes on
Once the bell rings its home time
And yes I had and am still having the Same situation as yourself
Realised recently that it doesn't matter
It really is only a job
One I enjoy but the office politics side is a minefield
I won
-
trevjim
- Posts: 170
- Joined: 05 Dec 2012, 20:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Struggling to fit in
I felt the same, Ive been bought up with a strong hard working ethic, Im good at my job, im quick and efficient. There is a group that I know dont like me, I call them the moaners, for obvious reasons, these are the ones that think the job should be a stroll in the park and never break a sweat. I believe the job should be achievable, but we should still work hard. I couldn't care less, Ive got my mates from outside of work and made a good few buddies in the office.
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Struggling to fit in
I have been doing the job for about 5 months now. Yes there are the moaners in there but I just go in do my job and go home and it will always be the same.
-
48ricks
- Posts: 22
- Joined: 12 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Re: Struggling to fit in
i had this problem when I first started. Tends to be colleagues who use their seniority as excuse to belittle anyone and everyone else, regardless. Disregard their attitudes mate, they are not worth it. if you examine they're behaviour you,ll find out, that most of them are probably sad losers outside work and much of their bitter attitude towards their workmates is caused by jealousy. like most people I work for Royal Mail, to pay the mortgage , not for a career , or as a lifestyle choice. Many of the issues faced in this business today, are , I believe, as a result ,of the ignorance and stupidity of the cretins you have to work with - sorry to say.
-
ratchet
- Posts: 210
- Joined: 03 Dec 2012, 13:12
- Gender: Male
- Location: Buggered off to France
Re: Struggling to fit in
Hang in there and don't let it get to you.
I've worked for many different companies, but I have never experienced anywhere near the amount of back stabbing that goes on in my little part of the RM.
50% of the staff are great, 25% are ok, but the remaining 25% I wouldn't urinate on if they were on fire.
PS - If your log in name is your real name, I recommend you change it. It makes you far too easy to identify.
I've worked for many different companies, but I have never experienced anywhere near the amount of back stabbing that goes on in my little part of the RM.
50% of the staff are great, 25% are ok, but the remaining 25% I wouldn't urinate on if they were on fire.
PS - If your log in name is your real name, I recommend you change it. It makes you far too easy to identify.
I am no longer a number :-)
-
Straight4ward
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1621
- Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Struggling to fit in
It can take a while to form friendships at work and rather longer as a postie when you’re only spending a couple of hours a day with your colleagues as opposed to the 8 hours a day as in many other jobs.
Are you flying solo or are you part of a lark & poop team? If you’re part of a P&L pairing, then at least you’ve got someone to talk to (well, hopefully - unless you've been unlucky enough to paired with the most miserable, taciturn bugger in the office.)
Are you flying solo or are you part of a lark & poop team? If you’re part of a P&L pairing, then at least you’ve got someone to talk to (well, hopefully - unless you've been unlucky enough to paired with the most miserable, taciturn bugger in the office.)
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
-
Dumpys Rusty Nuts
- Posts: 180
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 21:50
- Gender: Male
Re: Struggling to fit in
Your quick and efficient. Well done, give yourself a pat on your trolley[ do you use a trolley?]trevjim wrote:I felt the same, Ive been bought up with a strong hard working ethic, Im good at my job, im quick and efficient. There is a group that I know dont like me, I call them the moaners, for obvious reasons, these are the ones that think the job should be a stroll in the park and never break a sweat. I believe the job should be achievable, but we should still work hard. I couldn't care less, Ive got my mates from outside of work and made a good few buddies in the office.
Im good at my job. Which manager told you that whilst asking you to do an extra portion of lapsing.
These are the ones that think the job should be a stroll in the park and never break sweat
Why should you break sweat , whats the rush.
I believe the job should be achievable. Most people on this site think the same, unfortunately we all don't live in Utopia.
-
Caniel
- Posts: 623
- Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
- Gender: Female
- Location: The Batcave
Re: Struggling to fit in
Was in the same boat when I swapped over from processing about 10 years ago, I got looked down on because there was a bit of "them and us" between processing and deliveries at the time and some numpties seemed to think that I got preferential treatment because I have a pair of tits. Being bounced around as a reserve doesn't help either, you don't get settled in a row and get to know people around you until you sign for a walk really.
Give it time and as people get to know you you'll fit in though.
Give it time and as people get to know you you'll fit in though.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Struggling to fit in
I can see that in your pictureCaniel wrote: I have a pair of tits. Being bounced around
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Struggling to fit in
Bloody thing gets me every time she posts, find my eyes keep getting drawn to it somehow.NewPostieUK wrote:I can see that in your pictureCaniel wrote: I have a pair of tits. Being bounced around
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp