ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Tax Rebate

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
new2me
Posts: 104
Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 06:36
Gender: Male

Tax Rebate

Post by new2me »

Taking into account how poor RM are at almost every imaginable administration task, can someone tell me if I can expect my tax rebate in my wages soon; only been working since Nov and am well under the tax allowance threshold? It SHOULD be a nice little lump in my pay packet soon, but knowing this lot, i'll be expected to dance around the DO with shorts on my head for it. it.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Tax Rebate

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

I went through the Tax Office when I got a rebate so it might be worth checking with them, if its just confirmation its going through okay.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
new2me
Posts: 104
Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 06:36
Gender: Male

Re: Tax Rebate

Post by new2me »

Cheers, i'll give it a couple of weeks
cobberwebb
Posts: 62
Joined: 25 Sep 2013, 15:49
Gender: Male

Re: Tax Rebate

Post by cobberwebb »

I was in the same boat a year ago. You have to claim it yourself if you want it sooner rather than later. Unfortunately it means contacting HM Revenue and you might have to provide them with some other information like: total claim from job seekers. You can't blame RM for this one.
new2me
Posts: 104
Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 06:36
Gender: Male

Re: Tax Rebate

Post by new2me »

According to the HMRC website, it should be dealt with by employers in the wages.
Dare I say, I worked for them for 12 months and I know how farcical HMRC have been, but all this should be done automatically now; a new system was put into place last year as far as I remember.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Tax Rebate

Post by bustedflush »

I was in that situation, and the IR sent me a cheque in May/June (I can't quite remember) after the calculations for the previous tax year ending April 6 were done. If RM had the correct information you would already have received it through your wages via having a high tax-free allowance thus taking more home until you 'caught up' with the weekly tax tables
This tends to happen when you sign on for short periods or have a few employers in a short space of time before RM.

Don't expect it through your wages - it won't happen now.

Basically RM have you on a 'week 1' tax basis (This means you get taxed each week as if it was the first week of the financial year, i.e. have neither owed nor been owed any tax thus far.)
This occurs when RM don't have the correct p45 information.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Re: Tax Rebate

Post by CPTNemoUK »

By the sounds of it I was a lucky one. I also started in November and I got a tax rebate around January. I weren't even expecting it which was a nice surprise.
new2me
Posts: 104
Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 06:36
Gender: Male

Re: Tax Rebate

Post by new2me »

bustedflush wrote:Basically RM have you on a 'week 1' tax basis (This means you get taxed each week as if it was the first week of the financial year, i.e. have neither owed nor been owed any tax thus far.) This occurs when RM don't have the correct p45 information.
This should be changed at the start of the tax year, if I remember rightly and the correct code applied. As we're on weekly pay, i'll give it until the second wage slip to see what's what (can't be bothered waiting on the phone, only to be told I have to contact someone else having worked for them previously).
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Tax Rebate

Post by bustedflush »

new2me wrote:
bustedflush wrote:Basically RM have you on a 'week 1' tax basis (This means you get taxed each week as if it was the first week of the financial year, i.e. have neither owed nor been owed any tax thus far.) This occurs when RM don't have the correct p45 information.
This should be changed at the start of the tax year, if I remember rightly and the correct code applied. As we're on weekly pay, i'll give it until the second wage slip to see what's what (can't be bothered waiting on the phone, only to be told I have to contact someone else having worked for them previously).
You are both right and wrong there mate. It WILL be changed as your 'week 1/month 1' status actually becomes totally correct at the start of the new financial year BUT not because RM have the necessary paperwork, simply because week 1/month 1 naturally starts then.

What will happen is that a P60 will be given to you and your local tax office in mid-April by RM. The local tax office will then collate your previous years' payments/allowances before November last from other employers/benefits agency with this P60 and calculate a refund of overpayment which they will issue via cheque. It is unlikely you'll get it through your wages in the new financial year but not impossible. I'd bet on the cheque... :neutral: