ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Moving to a different office.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ploppy
Posts: 39
Joined: 11 May 2013, 18:11
Gender: Male

Moving to a different office.

Post by ploppy »

Today we were told that there is a possibility that 3 or 4 of our rural deliveries could be moved to a different office.What I would like to know is.Do I as one of the duty holders have to move with it.If so how do I stand as to keeping that duty,could someone more senior in my new office decide that they would like it and take it off me? Has anyone else had any experience of this sort of thing and how did they fare?
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Moving to a different office.

Post by arnold cheshire »

ploppy wrote:Today we were told that there is a possibility that 3 or 4 of our rural deliveries could be moved to a different office.What I would like to know is.Do I as one of the duty holders have to move with it.If so how do I stand as to keeping that duty,could someone more senior in my new office decide that they would like it and take it off me? Has anyone else had any experience of this sort of thing and how did they fare?
take no notice it wont happen :thumbup
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Moving to a different office.

Post by arnold cheshire »

it sounds like a story like the postie who was going to be moved to a duty made up of scheduled attendance probably hearsay from a full of ideas dom
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Moving to a different office.

Post by bustedflush »

ploppy wrote:Today we were told that there is a possibility that 3 or 4 of our rural deliveries could be moved to a different office.What I would like to know is.Do I as one of the duty holders have to move with it.If so how do I stand as to keeping that duty,could someone more senior in my new office decide that they would like it and take it off me? Has anyone else had any experience of this sort of thing and how did they fare?
Depends. We had similar here. IF there is a swap going on (i.e. rounds are coming back the other way) the you usually have the choice of staying with the round at the new DO (travel if increased may be compensated for a while) or staying at your DO and taking on a reciprocated round.

If the move is just one way then you'd almost certainly be given the chance to stay with your round at the new DO irrespective of seniority. It's only fair and anyway people fear the unknown - the guys at the new DO would usually stay with what they know.

This is what happened here, and I've no reason to expect different in your case unless you have real bad DOMs.
ploppy
Posts: 39
Joined: 11 May 2013, 18:11
Gender: Male

Re: Moving to a different office.

Post by ploppy »

bustedflush wrote:
ploppy wrote:Today we were told that there is a possibility that 3 or 4 of our rural deliveries could be moved to a different office.What I would like to know is.Do I as one of the duty holders have to move with it.If so how do I stand as to keeping that duty,could someone more senior in my new office decide that they would like it and take it off me? Has anyone else had any experience of this sort of thing and how did they fare?
Depends. We had similar here. IF there is a swap going on (i.e. rounds are coming back the other way) the you usually have the choice of staying with the round at the new DO (travel if increased may be compensated for a while) or staying at your DO and taking on a reciprocated round.

If the move is just one way then you'd almost certainly be given the chance to stay with your round at the new DO irrespective of seniority. It's only fair and anyway people fear the unknown - the guys at the new DO would usually stay with what they know.

This is what happened here, and I've no reason to expect different in your case unless you have real bad DOMs.
It will be a one way move to free up space in our office and to be fair my DOM is a decent bloke not sure about the other office though.The distance to my new office will be a few miles less but will take longer to get to and with a greater possibility of me not making it in some winter days when the roads blocked with snow.I will have to give it serious thought when/if it happens.At the moment I keep the van at home so travelling in is no problem.If the new DOM doesn't allow this then it means having to buy another car which is an expense I could really do without plus the 60 quid a week it would cost in fuel.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Moving to a different office.

Post by bustedflush »

You'll be OK then. It's easier for both DOMs to maintain the status quo rather than swap staff and rounds about. The van issue is another thing though, I don't know about those sort of arrangements.