ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

An old git's thoughts.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
zurdo
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 8
Joined: 12 Dec 2010, 17:15
Gender: Male

An old git's thoughts.

Post by zurdo »

I've been retired over 3 years now, after working for over 20 years. I worked in a rural office and we were mainly left alone to get on with the job. We had complaints but if we did extra duties we claimed and were paid overtime etc. The office was closed and the posties now work from a larger delivery office over 10 miles away.
Reading the posts on here and chatting to my ex-colleagues it's plain that morale and job satisfaction are at an all time low.
I sympathise with today's postmen and the crap they now have to put up with. I appreciate that changes have to happen but the way Royal Mail is implementing these changes with bullying, harassment etc. is a disgrace.
I may have missed out on free shares and wage increases but I thank my lucky stars I'm out of it now. I only hope things improve for you all.
teddybear1948
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 13
Joined: 23 Mar 2011, 19:01
Gender: Male

Re: An old git's thoughts.

Post by teddybear1948 »

Couldnt agree more.I was fortunate enough to retire in January after 11 years and can barely believe what people have to put up with on a daily basis in some offices to get overtime pay or uniform or days off or whatever.Right up until the day I left I hardly had any problems at all ,certainly no bullying and such like.My shares have been sold and the old bones are being rested .I wish all those still working the very best of luck for what at best looks an uncertain future
jw1234
Posts: 76
Joined: 08 Dec 2011, 20:07
Gender: Male

Re: An old git's thoughts.

Post by jw1234 »

Before Royal Mail provided a service. Now RMs aim is to make a profit.
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Re: An old git's thoughts.

Post by maisymoo04 »

teddybear1948 wrote:Couldnt agree more.I was fortunate enough to retire in January after 11 years and can barely believe what people have to put up with on a daily basis in some offices to get overtime pay or uniform or days off or whatever.Right up until the day I left I hardly had any problems at all ,certainly no bullying and such like.My shares have been sold and the old bones are being rested .I wish all those still working the very best of luck for what at best looks an uncertain future
Thanks for that teddy bear love u too :shock: :shock:
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
Chelseablue
Posts: 2222
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Re: An old git's thoughts.

Post by Chelseablue »

It's hard for the older guys like us who've bin in this job for a good few years, the thought of dragging your body round you're delivery till you're 68 is indeed a nightmare. This job does wreck you're body .
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: An old git's thoughts.

Post by dvbuk55 »

Am I the only person who doesn't want to retire? I know I'll have to but I haven't given that much thought about it. I don't feel old, I think 65 is the new 50!
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: An old git's thoughts.

Post by daveyeff »

dvbuk55 wrote:Am I the only person who doesn't want to retire? I know I'll have to but I haven't given that much thought about it. I don't feel old, I think 65 is the new 50!
all depends on what you're duty is like dv.....mines shyte. i think 55 is the new 70. i cant wait to get out.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: An old git's thoughts.

Post by dvbuk55 »

daveyeff wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:Am I the only person who doesn't want to retire? I know I'll have to but I haven't given that much thought about it. I don't feel old, I think 65 is the new 50!
all depends on what you're duty is like dv.....mines shyte. i think 55 is the new 70. i cant wait to get out.
Well I have to say I'm fortunate to work indoors now, only work part time over 4 days for 20 hours. I think the business should allow you to work part time as you get older, when work is more important than money.
beezet
Posts: 93
Joined: 06 Dec 2013, 18:56
Gender: Male

Re: An old git's thoughts.

Post by beezet »

daveyeff wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:Am I the only person who doesn't want to retire? I know I'll have to but I haven't given that much thought about it. I don't feel old, I think 65 is the new 50!
all depends on what you're duty is like dv.....mines shyte. i think 55 is the new 70. i cant wait to get out.
cant agree more, if i could afford to go part time i would as ive only been in for 15 years and no other pension ill have to drag myself round my walk for another two and a half years, no chance of a rural all the young guys have taken them, just have to carry on as long as i can manage :cry
PHARRY
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 327
Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
Gender: Male

Re: An old git's thoughts.

Post by PHARRY »

beezet wrote:
daveyeff wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:Am I the only person who doesn't want to retire? I know I'll have to but I haven't given that much thought about it. I don't feel old, I think 65 is the new 50!
all depends on what you're duty is like dv.....mines shyte. i think 55 is the new 70. i cant wait to get out.
cant agree more, if i could afford to go part time i would as ive only been in for 15 years and no other pension ill have to drag myself round my walk for another two and a half years, no chance of a rural all the young guys have taken them, just have to carry on as long as i can manage :cry
I think 56 is the new 80 I'm knackerd and worn out I'm only 56
BoltonPostie
Posts: 328
Joined: 09 Jul 2007, 17:20
Gender: Male
Location: Up s**t creek.

Re: An old git's thoughts.

Post by BoltonPostie »

dvbuk55 wrote:
daveyeff wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:Am I the only person who doesn't want to retire? I know I'll have to but I haven't given that much thought about it. I don't feel old, I think 65 is the new 50!
all depends on what you're duty is like dv.....mines shyte. i think 55 is the new 70. i cant wait to get out.
Well I have to say I'm fortunate to work indoors now, only work part time over 4 days for 20 hours. I think the business should allow you to work part time as you get older, when work is more important than money.
Well there you go then.
It's easy to like a job when your doing feck all,and I don't call reading the paper and wanking over the racing post and brewing up as work.
Still I bet you was put out scanning in all those bar codes. :wave :cuppa
When work is more important :left: ,you've been indoors with the cretins(managers) to long. :whistle
The grabbing hands
Grab all they can
All for themselves
After all
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: An old git's thoughts.

Post by dvbuk55 »

Some years ago there was a job share scheme whereby 2 people would sort a weeks work between them and thereby allowing people to work shorter weeks and/or hours. I understand there may be fiscal considerations but earning less over a longer period may be better than earning a lot over a shorter period but burning out in the process.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: An old git's thoughts.

Post by daveyeff »

well, a light that burns twice as bright only burns half as long, and we are working twice as hard now on delivery,,,,,so we are burning out in half the time. most of us old school are crippled/gammy/decrepid/totally fecked. the job is for athletes now.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: An old git's thoughts.

Post by dvbuk55 »

BoltonPostie wrote:When work is more important :left: ,you've been indoors with the cretins(managers) to long. :whistle
:hmmmm Perhaps that was an injudicious description but I did say more important than money. Now to put indoor work in perspective: I've been indoors in the locker for years - more than 10 and it was at a time when nobody wanted to do it because you had to work the hours not like delivery when people swannied off home 2/3 hours early or worked 2 hours ghost and still got home early. I originally started in the locker to replace a union rep who then became a full time release guy and then moved on.

Has my job become harder?, yes it has, do I have to take on more work?, yes I do, do I get the delivery supplement :nana yay :chuckle
dave7634
Posts: 289
Joined: 08 Jun 2007, 08:54

Re: An old git's thoughts.

Post by dave7634 »

dvbuk55 wrote:Some years ago there was a job share scheme whereby 2 people would sort a weeks work between them and thereby allowing people to work shorter weeks and/or hours. I understand there may be fiscal considerations but earning less over a longer period may be better than earning a lot over a shorter period but burning out in the process.
2 people in our office indeed do that and share a full-time driving duty. Each person comes in every other week (one on and one off). DOM has to agree with it and if (a) or (b) retires then, unless you can find a replacement member of staff then you're back to full-time hours afaik