ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

4 years on a temp contract

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
raikky
Posts: 212
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 01:09
Gender: Female

4 years on a temp contract

Post by raikky »

Well its been over 4 years since I was made up to full time. Im perm part time but temp full time since I applied for a duty over 4 years ago. Seems nobody in rm cares about the law and they want to keep me temp cause thsy need ths flexibilty to puf me back down one day. Anything I can do to get this made into perm ?
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: 4 years on a temp contract

Post by rehabron »

raikky wrote:Well its been over 4 years since I was made up to full time. Im perm part time but temp full time since I applied for a duty over 4 years ago. Seems nobody in rm cares about the law and they want to keep me temp cause thsy need ths flexibilty to puf me back down one day. Anything I can do to get this made into perm ?
On reading your posting you seem to be contradicting yourself as you started your posting having been made up to full time then went on to state your temporary full time. So I am a bit puzzled are you working the maximum hours on a temporary contract? You have stated the 4 tear period and I am assuming that you have already checked this out on the government web site on temporary contracts which state that having been on a temporary contract for over 4 years you " AUTOMATICALLY BECOME A PERMANENT CONTRACT"
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: 4 years on a temp contract

Post by chrisj »

Do you have paper work 'signed' as to being a temporary full time postie. If so, the you should write personally to the CWU HQ as your Rep and Area Rep should be aware of your situation as should already have made representation on your behalf.

I agree that the manager will probably not want to make you a Permanent Full Time staff as it reduces the flexibility of bringing you down and also manager has to then make people up accordingly or someone else Temp FT or increase hours for other on a Temporary basis.

We are not all equal and the rules or agreements are being applied equally. It just depends on the office/the Rep/The CWU area rep and hierarchy in your branch and then the manager and yourself (you should have been pursuing this after 2 years of being a Temp FT).
Ahebban
Posts: 695
Joined: 19 May 2009, 13:41
Gender: Male
Location: Left of ... Left

Re: 4 years on a temp contract

Post by Ahebban »

Quite possibly his contract might state that he may be permanent part-time with a temporary variation in hours to 39 from 'x' hours. Anyone working beyond 6 months can reasonably ask what is the definition of 'temporary' in such a contract. Personally, I would make enquiries to have your contract 'made-up' to permanent full-time 39 hours if you have been working those hours since the start of your current contract.
Ahebban - anglo-saxon in origin - meaning 'Wages War'

What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight, what counts is the size of the fight in the dog. - Mark Twain
raikky
Posts: 212
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 01:09
Gender: Female

Re: 4 years on a temp contract

Post by raikky »

Sorry I started rm on a perm 20 hr contract then applied for a duty and got a full time time contract. I asked abouf it after 2 years but my manager told me its a union issue. They did nothing. I rang hq who told me to speak to my manager.
Yes I have the paperworking stating the start date of my temp contract. Im just scared if I raise it higher they will cancel it and move me back down
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: 4 years on a temp contract

Post by rehabron »

You have the paperwork stating what? Has your hours been increased to 39 hours as you have already mentioned a full time contract. If you have been working on temporary contracts within the business for a period of 4 years then you automatically become a permanent employee unless your employer has to give a valid reason for not honouring your permanent contract and I think 4 years is a sufficient time for them to make you permanent. Have you contacted your local union rep to raise the matter with management?
Lazycarton
Posts: 193
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:52
Gender: Male

Re: 4 years on a temp contract

Post by Lazycarton »

I am permanently full-time part and have been some time before since. I am still not waiting for my fully part-time contract. What a mess.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: 4 years on a temp contract

Post by bustedflush »

Don't worry. Under the law you have done 4 years at those hours, therefore you are permanent employee at those hours and holidays/pay should be paid accordingly. Doesn't matter what RM/CWU/DOM says.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: 4 years on a temp contract

Post by chrisj »

This is sort of confusing...

You applied for a FT role and got it then you should be a permanent full time staff. Unless the role was advertised as a temporary full time post; even so, after 4 years of performing the same role then you are entitled to be made up.

Can we ask whether you are currently being paid FT delivery supplement and sis you receive the full Shares Allocation and FT bonuses?

And you said you have raised the issue with HQ but passed from pillar to post - what was the explanation for referring you back to the manager?
Last edited by chrisj on 10 Mar 2014, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
RetroJunkie
Posts: 165
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 16:06
Gender: Female

Re: 4 years on a temp contract

Post by RetroJunkie »

How do they get away with this stupid crap
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: 4 years on a temp contract

Post by OnAFlyer »

bustedflush wrote:Don't worry. Under the law you have done 4 years at those hours, therefore you are permanent employee at those hours and holidays/pay should be paid accordingly. Doesn't matter what RM/CWU/DOM says.
Yeah right.

Some in my office have 10yrs+ service, have been FT every week for years and still haven't got a FT contract.
raikky
Posts: 212
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 01:09
Gender: Female

Re: 4 years on a temp contract

Post by raikky »

Ok. I applied for a duty which was advertised as perm full time. When I got the contract through the post it stated it was only on a temp basis. For over the last four years I have been full time. So I get holidays etc at full time rate. I undrrstand it was temp cause of the mail centre closures.

Head office told me it was a managers decision as to whether they could make me perm.

Yes I get full supplement and shares.

Sorry reread some of my earlier posts. I started rm on a 20 hr part time perm basis. Then next went up to full time on a temp basis even though the duty was advertised as permanent.
Martin Walsh
Posts: 4276
Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 20:12
Location: neverland

Re: 4 years on a temp contract

Post by Martin Walsh »

My understanding of your postion is that you have permanent part time contract and you have been covering a full time contract for about 4 years.

Your question is should you recieve a permanent full time contract ? Well it will depend if there are other permanent part timers in your office who are more senior then you. Under the way forward the process for offering a permanent full time contract to a part timer is clearly set out. I suggest you contact your area rep to find out where you stand.
RetroJunkie
Posts: 165
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 16:06
Gender: Female

Re: 4 years on a temp contract

Post by RetroJunkie »

raikky wrote:Ok. I applied for a duty which was advertised as perm full time. When I got the contract through the post it stated it was only on a temp basis. For over the last four years I have been full time. So I get holidays etc at full time rate. I undrrstand it was temp cause of the mail centre closures.

Head office told me it was a managers decision as to whether they could make me perm.

Yes I get full supplement and shares.

Sorry reread some of my earlier posts. I started rm on a 20 hr part time perm basis. Then next went up to full time on a temp basis even though the duty was advertised as permanent.
They really need to sort things like this it's very important and they treat it like it doesn't matter, you won't something set in stone so these bastards can't go back on anything.
Glenno
Posts: 1491
Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 13:12

Re: 4 years on a temp contract

Post by Glenno »

raikky wrote:Ok. I applied for a duty which was advertised as perm full time. When I got the contract through the post it stated it was only on a temp basis. For over the last four years I have been full time. So I get holidays etc at full time rate. I undrrstand it was temp cause of the mail centre closures.

Head office told me it was a managers decision as to whether they could make me perm.

Yes I get full supplement and shares.

Sorry reread some of my earlier posts. I started rm on a 20 hr part time perm basis. Then next went up to full time on a temp basis even though the duty was advertised as permanent.
Job done, the Agreement with RM/CWU states 2yrs,the Law states 4yrs, so looking at this post he/ she can claim full time status happy days