ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Help - injured in RM van accident
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Help - injured in RM van accident
I was taken to hospital the other day as the van driver drove into a stationary lorry at over 30 mph. He had a lapse in concentration and I shouted to him to brake and turned away from the impact which was severe my side took the hit while the driver was unscathed. The paramedics couldn't believe I had got out and was taken to hospital with chest injuries, leg injuries and I now have a sore neck and can't sit down as it hurts getting up my sternum and chest have internal and external bruising and am in severe pain. After picking me up from hospital the DOM insisted I sit in the office despite my pain and shock and help him fill ERICA out. Another manager asked 'when I could return for light duties' the van was written off, my knees split the plastic fascia etc. I am off but have to ring up each day and injuries that were covered up by adrenaline and administered painkillers are apparent this morning after a night of no sleep.
I can't bend my left leg as the knee is damaged inside, movement is agony and I have a bad neck which I didn't notice yesterday. The hospital told me injuries are mainly soft tissue and won't be permanent usually and all I can do is rest and take tablets.
I now will effectively face days or weeks of pain and Christmas will be ruined. I'll probably lose my OT this week I did prior to the collision. What is the procedure for redress here? Is there any scheme to protect me? Is it a condition of being a manager to have Asperger's? I am lucky to be alive and no doubt the airbags and seatbelt saved me, and it wouldn't surprise me if the photos of the van are used in WTL eventually to reinforce seatbelt wearing. What do I do now? I am on a recurring 6-month contract so will being off affect that in any way or if I claim for mental shock, pain and injuries? I get the feeling the managers want it all tidied up and I am not their concern. I know I'm lucky to be alive after seeing those metal bars racing towards my head the stopping 18 inches short. I am still shaking and don't know what's going to happen.
Thanks for any advice ...
I can't bend my left leg as the knee is damaged inside, movement is agony and I have a bad neck which I didn't notice yesterday. The hospital told me injuries are mainly soft tissue and won't be permanent usually and all I can do is rest and take tablets.
I now will effectively face days or weeks of pain and Christmas will be ruined. I'll probably lose my OT this week I did prior to the collision. What is the procedure for redress here? Is there any scheme to protect me? Is it a condition of being a manager to have Asperger's? I am lucky to be alive and no doubt the airbags and seatbelt saved me, and it wouldn't surprise me if the photos of the van are used in WTL eventually to reinforce seatbelt wearing. What do I do now? I am on a recurring 6-month contract so will being off affect that in any way or if I claim for mental shock, pain and injuries? I get the feeling the managers want it all tidied up and I am not their concern. I know I'm lucky to be alive after seeing those metal bars racing towards my head the stopping 18 inches short. I am still shaking and don't know what's going to happen.
Thanks for any advice ...
-
Nondescript
- Posts: 232
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
Sorry to hear about your injuries. Someone with more informed advice will be along in a minute, but in the meantime, may I suggest that you withdraw any savings you may have and hire a hitman to 'off' the scumbag who asked you when you'd be fit for light duties.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
If you are in The Union contact them straight away - they will claim against RM. If not in the Union then a No win no fee solicitor should help.
As to the daily contact, I would suggest that's excessive and may cause some stress, perhaps as you won't be back for a few weeks then an agreement of contact once a week would be more beneficial.
As to the daily contact, I would suggest that's excessive and may cause some stress, perhaps as you won't be back for a few weeks then an agreement of contact once a week would be more beneficial.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:If you are in The Union contact them straight away - they will claim against RM. If not in the Union then a No win no fee solicitor should help.
As to the daily contact, I would suggest that's excessive and may cause some stress, perhaps as you won't be back for a few weeks then an agreement of contact once a week would be more beneficial.
I was actually in the process of joining just got the form done for the rep, he says it doesn't matter if the accident took place before my form was handed in, although I'm doubtful. I can't sleep as when I move in the night the pain wakes me and then I still have to set my alarm for normal time to ring up my head is cloudy and I feel dreadful combined with the physical side. I had to sit in the office for an hour and be grilled and give details for an ERICA? after being picked up from hospital when all I wanted to do was go home and lie down. Two days ago I had a job I liked now I feel pressured and that any absence will be seen as me milking it - it's years since I missed a day at work in any job and I'd swap a pain-free days P&L anytime for sitting here it even hurts typing.. Don't forget if I take any action I will be out of a job as I'm on the 6-month contract and I am convinced it will be used against me.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
You are a member of the Union as soon as you sign the form so welcome Comrade
They can't use an AOD that wasn't you fault as an excuse to get rid of you, and if they did the publicity would be very bad for them. I won't lie they may try it on if they are really stupid, but I think the chances are very small. Keep your reps informed and explain your concerns they should be able to help or at least put your mind at rest.
They can't use an AOD that wasn't you fault as an excuse to get rid of you, and if they did the publicity would be very bad for them. I won't lie they may try it on if they are really stupid, but I think the chances are very small. Keep your reps informed and explain your concerns they should be able to help or at least put your mind at rest.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
gluteus maximus
- Posts: 241
- Joined: 12 Oct 2013, 15:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
How long has the doctor given you off as to your fit note, Have you requested an appointment with your family doctor i am lost for words a manager asking about light duties just after the accident
-
Pokermon
- Posts: 106
- Joined: 03 Nov 2011, 19:34
- Gender: Male
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
You don't have to go through the union, you can use any solicitor you want. It is 100% up to you.
The union will help you if they want to discipline you etc but all they will do with regards your claim...will refer you to a solicitors (and probably get a referral fee for doing so).
On the info provided, the driver at fault will be your partner and as such a claim will be against royal mail. Do not feel that as they are your employer you shouldn't claim against them, Royal Mail's insurer (or themselves if self insured) will already be paying for the lorry, the lorry driver/passenger injuries and the van etc. You have been injured and are entitled to claim.
Regarding loss of earnings, you will be paid a minimum of your contracted ours but your solicitor should argue that due to the nature of business at this time of year (and evidence of last week or longer overtime) you should be entitled to a reasonable amount of overtime also.
Regardinng work, do not feel under pressure to return to work early on light duties, get yourself fit. I suggest you agree with your manager to contact once per week given the seriousness of your injuries.
I understand you are upset about being quizzed for Erica, but they are under a legal duty to fill out this. Also, the information provided will assist your claim.
The injuries, make sure you see your GP or return to the A+E if it worsens. Take your painkillers and rest. The solicitor may send you for private treatment if recommended by their doctor (who will asses your injuries and provide a report to use in support of the injury aspect of your claim).
Any questions, please ask I hate the way these bastards at Royal Mail treat their staff and can imagine the way the managers acted given that this is Christmas and one of their staff is going to be absent.
The union will help you if they want to discipline you etc but all they will do with regards your claim...will refer you to a solicitors (and probably get a referral fee for doing so).
On the info provided, the driver at fault will be your partner and as such a claim will be against royal mail. Do not feel that as they are your employer you shouldn't claim against them, Royal Mail's insurer (or themselves if self insured) will already be paying for the lorry, the lorry driver/passenger injuries and the van etc. You have been injured and are entitled to claim.
Regarding loss of earnings, you will be paid a minimum of your contracted ours but your solicitor should argue that due to the nature of business at this time of year (and evidence of last week or longer overtime) you should be entitled to a reasonable amount of overtime also.
Regardinng work, do not feel under pressure to return to work early on light duties, get yourself fit. I suggest you agree with your manager to contact once per week given the seriousness of your injuries.
I understand you are upset about being quizzed for Erica, but they are under a legal duty to fill out this. Also, the information provided will assist your claim.
The injuries, make sure you see your GP or return to the A+E if it worsens. Take your painkillers and rest. The solicitor may send you for private treatment if recommended by their doctor (who will asses your injuries and provide a report to use in support of the injury aspect of your claim).
Any questions, please ask I hate the way these bastards at Royal Mail treat their staff and can imagine the way the managers acted given that this is Christmas and one of their staff is going to be absent.
-
Jamesethefirst
- Posts: 146
- Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 17:48
- Gender: Male
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
Is the DOM now a qualified medical practitioner,with experience in trauma injuries. No? Thought not,what a pillock. In any case he should be seeking your agreement to get ATOS to speak to you,it is their view,not his as to whether you can do light duties. This should have happened straight away. Unbelievable, it really is, the way this organisation treats people.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
I just can't believe the insensitivity, unless it was a bit of black humour- it wasn't. I didn't get signed off by the hospital as it's a case of when I feel better to tell the manager. The truck drivers were fine, it hardly rocked. I have a photo here the paramedic took. No I don't as you can upload your own image on here it's a url.
-
gluteus maximus
- Posts: 241
- Joined: 12 Oct 2013, 15:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
You can self certificate absence for a period of 7 days without a fit note. Call your surgery and ask for an appointment. You will probably need an analgesic on perscription as well. You will need a referal from your Occupational health adviser before you are able to come back to work. You need to phone up your manager and ask for this referal and that you will be unable to return until you have had this referal. The employer has a duty of care and an adaquate risk assessment will need to be carried out before you return to work . The Ocupational health provider will provide that risk assessment
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
gluteus maximus wrote:You can self certificate absence for a period of 7 days without a fit note. Call your surgery and ask for an appointment. You will probably need an analgesic on perscription as well. You will need a referal from your Occupational health adviser before you are able to come back to work. You need to phone up your manager and ask for this referal and that you will be unable to return until you have had this referal. The employer has a duty of care and an adaquate risk assessment will need to be carried out before you return to work . The Ocupational health provider will provide that risk assessment
Thanks. I don't have a doctor, not registered haven't been for 26 years! Can I ask to see the Occupational Health Advisor now before 7 days is up? I can't drive safely at the moment because of pain. PS how do I upload a photo on here? It would help people o this topic if they could see one.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
Be aware that any settlement you receive will be split into two parts,general damages and special damages.Pokermon wrote:Regarding loss of earnings, you will be paid a minimum of your contracted ours but your solicitor should argue that due to the nature of business at this time of year (and evidence of last week or longer overtime) you should be entitled to a reasonable amount of overtime also.
Loss of earnings comes under special damages along with any out of pocket expenses like hospital visits and prescription costs but if you are receiving any sick pay over and above SSP Royal Mail have the right to claw that back from any award you receive.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
gluteus maximus
- Posts: 241
- Joined: 12 Oct 2013, 15:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
You can phone up your local surgery and ask to register. You can be treated as a temporary patient
You can upload to a URL
Google photobucket, they will provide an image code to upload. Ignore all the adds though
You can upload to a URL
Google photobucket, they will provide an image code to upload. Ignore all the adds though
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
if the picture is on your computer then all you need to do is start a new post.
Just beneath the "Submit Button" are 2 tabs Options and Upload Attachment - its the Upload attachment one you need.
Click on it and you'll see a choose file - click on it and it will open a window on your desktop.
Use that as you normally would to select the picture you want. When you have the window will close..
Then choose the add file. Depending on the size of the file it could take a little while to upload.
Preview your post to make sure you are ok and then press submit as normal.
Just beneath the "Submit Button" are 2 tabs Options and Upload Attachment - its the Upload attachment one you need.
Click on it and you'll see a choose file - click on it and it will open a window on your desktop.
Use that as you normally would to select the picture you want. When you have the window will close..
Then choose the add file. Depending on the size of the file it could take a little while to upload.
Preview your post to make sure you are ok and then press submit as normal.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
fishtank wrote:Be aware that any settlement you receive will be split into two parts,general damages and special damages.Pokermon wrote:Regarding loss of earnings, you will be paid a minimum of your contracted ours but your solicitor should argue that due to the nature of business at this time of year (and evidence of last week or longer overtime) you should be entitled to a reasonable amount of overtime also.
Loss of earnings comes under special damages along with any out of pocket expenses like hospital visits and prescription costs but if you are receiving any sick pay over and above SSP Royal Mail have the right to claw that back from any award you receive.
I'm not worried about wages too much as I will presumably be paid at least basic.
It's the pain, ruination of Christmas, not being able to do things even sitting on the bog is an ordeal plus I keep thinking of the final sight of that metal rushing to me before the airbag popped. Just hurting mentally and physically.