ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Pedometer update
-
colintres
- Posts: 40
- Joined: 21 May 2007, 08:47
Pedometer update
Hi
Upgraded to a better pedometer i can plug into pc to monitor distances walked. Currently doing a 5 day float on p&l 2 ips, 3 non ips. Scores on the doors are ( average first to last letter distance).
IPS duty 1 9 miles
IPS Duty 2 10.5
Non IPS duty 1 11.5
Non IPS duty2 12.5
Non IPS duty 3 14 ( this duty has had two loops removed, and they argued it was doable!!)
So my question is how far are we actually allowed to walk? Surely the CWU must have some idea, it was the best plan we were ever going to get afterall.
Upgraded to a better pedometer i can plug into pc to monitor distances walked. Currently doing a 5 day float on p&l 2 ips, 3 non ips. Scores on the doors are ( average first to last letter distance).
IPS duty 1 9 miles
IPS Duty 2 10.5
Non IPS duty 1 11.5
Non IPS duty2 12.5
Non IPS duty 3 14 ( this duty has had two loops removed, and they argued it was doable!!)
So my question is how far are we actually allowed to walk? Surely the CWU must have some idea, it was the best plan we were ever going to get afterall.
-
bigcol
- Posts: 404
- Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 13:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: Officially the worst DO
Re: Pedometer update
Pedometers don't work.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Pedometer update
I agree.bigcol wrote:Pedometers don't work.
Anyone who thinks they have walked 14 miles on delivery, hasn't ever walked 14 miles.
At a brisk walking pace it would take you nearly 5 hours non-stop to walk that far.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
gand
- Posts: 253
- Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 17:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Pedometer update
No they don't work but gps does. I just use the android app "my tracks" to track me with gps as i go round my walkbigcol wrote:Pedometers don't work.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Pedometer update
Strolling speed is 3mph,brisk walking speed you should easily do 4mph without any difficulty at all.clashcityrocker wrote:I agree.bigcol wrote:Pedometers don't work.
Anyone who thinks they have walked 14 miles on delivery, hasn't ever walked 14 miles.
At a brisk walking pace it would take you nearly 5 hours non-stop to walk that far.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Pedometer update
gand wrote:No they don't work but gps does. I just use the android app "my tracks" to track me with gps as i go round my walkbigcol wrote:Pedometers don't work.
Ive got ths as well. Really impressed for free. My walk 11.1 miles tracked on google earth.
Welcome gand
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
TheCobra
- Posts: 249
- Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 09:58
- Gender: Male
Re: Pedometer update
Agreed, only way to accurately do it is with a map website/app. WalkJogRun is very good for it as you can draw on it any route you like.
-
colintres
- Posts: 40
- Joined: 21 May 2007, 08:47
Re: Pedometer update
mapped it using walkjogrun as well. figures are accurate. will look for a gps app as well, and the delivery span for the 14 mile walk is 5 hrs. I guess our p&l revision was a little bigger than some of yours.
-
colintres
- Posts: 40
- Joined: 21 May 2007, 08:47
Re: Pedometer update
Slight update. Should have mentioned that the longest walk actually has a planned delivery span of 5hrs 40 on our long days and 5 hours on the short days. So this equates to walking around 3 mph for 5 hrs. 14 miles seems accurate mathematically as well as measured.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Pedometer update
A planned delivery span of 5 hrs 40?
Why would anyone agree to that?
I'm all for saving full-time jobs but not ones that will kill you in the long term.
3mph is what you would walk at if you were out for a walk.
Don't you ever stop when you are out on delivery? At letterboxes? With packets? With signed-fors?
I think a postman who averaged 2mph out on delivery would be doing well.
Why would anyone agree to that?
I'm all for saving full-time jobs but not ones that will kill you in the long term.
3mph is what you would walk at if you were out for a walk.
Don't you ever stop when you are out on delivery? At letterboxes? With packets? With signed-fors?
I think a postman who averaged 2mph out on delivery would be doing well.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Pedometer update
My delivery speed ave out at 2.4 mph 
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
wabbithunta
- Posts: 872
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!
Re: Pedometer update
Don't forget the flats.. going up and down all those stairs.. that adds mileage too.
I do about 12miles a day.. from leaving for work to going home at the end of the day - the office is about 5min walk away.
So please don't say it's not possible to walk that far in a day.
I do about 12miles a day.. from leaving for work to going home at the end of the day - the office is about 5min walk away.
So please don't say it's not possible to walk that far in a day.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
Re: Pedometer update
I have walked 26 miles in lees than 8 hours.clashcityrocker wrote:I agree.bigcol wrote:Pedometers don't work.
Anyone who thinks they have walked 14 miles on delivery, hasn't ever walked 14 miles.
At a brisk walking pace it would take you nearly 5 hours non-stop to walk that far.
-
nickbsmooth
- Posts: 279
- Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
- Gender: Male
- Location: South East
Pedometer update
Pedometers thats work on steps taken are more accurate than GPS.
GPS still logs distance when driving between loops.
Using my pedometer with my average stride length my duty can be anywhere from 7.5-10miles depending on steps taken.
I'd be surprised if it was 10% out as stride length is fairly consistent
GPS still logs distance when driving between loops.
Using my pedometer with my average stride length my duty can be anywhere from 7.5-10miles depending on steps taken.
I'd be surprised if it was 10% out as stride length is fairly consistent
-
goldy
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 24 Mar 2009, 13:58
- Gender: Male
Pedometer update
People who say pedometers dont work are talking rubbish its so easy to walk 10 -14 miles a day If we are out at 9.30am until 2.45 thats 5.15
Hours my pedometer stops if I stop so I record an average speed of somewhere between 3.5 and 3.6 mph I notice on my days off my ave speed for just walking around town and in the house is About 2.8mph there might be a small variation +\-5% but thats it .This kind of walking daily will kill you eventually .
Hours my pedometer stops if I stop so I record an average speed of somewhere between 3.5 and 3.6 mph I notice on my days off my ave speed for just walking around town and in the house is About 2.8mph there might be a small variation +\-5% but thats it .This kind of walking daily will kill you eventually .