ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Suicide

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
alloria
Posts: 176
Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 22:48
Gender: Male

Suicide

Post by alloria »

Just a general question. Has anybody on here ever thought about suicide? Whether work related or not?
Vote no on the "Agreement"
BillS
Posts: 20
Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 05:26
Gender: Male

Re: Suicide

Post by BillS »

Well, what with Christmas coming along, revisions breaking everyone's back and managers acting like tyrants that has cheered us all up no end!
tigercat
Posts: 76
Joined: 23 Sep 2010, 15:01
Gender: Male

Re: Suicide

Post by tigercat »

Sadly, something which has happened in my DO in recent years. One guy attempted and another succeeded.
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Re: Suicide

Post by General Mannerheim »

alloria wrote:Just a general question. Has anybody on here ever thought about suicide? Whether work related or not?
Yep I am still considering it.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Suicide

Post by clashcityrocker »

No.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: Suicide

Post by NWpostie »

I know of two did in my workplace, I know of another Office that were sacked from their job two of them attempted suicide, the whole thing prompted walkout by the Office, the manager who sacked them is a nasty piece of work,
the atmosphere from what I understand is terrible especially as he is still there.

they don't realise sacking somebody with a House, Kids and debt to support can push some people over the edge.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: Suicide

Post by BingBong »

alloria wrote:Just a general question. Has anybody on here ever thought about suicide? Whether work related or not?
There is a guy in a our place who is very unwell. Looks like he has had some sort of breakdown. The guy needs professional help. Today he was seen loading parcels into his car quite openly, as if it was normal. Don't even think he was aware he was doing it. He has completly lost it. Doesn't speak, looks completly distant from life. I cant believe he is still allowed to work. He seems a danger to himself and others. Im quite scared being around him.
Toon Army!
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Suicide

Post by DB1100 »

BrokenFlowers wrote:
alloria wrote:Just a general question. Has anybody on here ever thought about suicide? Whether work related or not?
There is a guy in a our place who is very unwell. Looks like he has had some sort of breakdown. The guy needs professional help. Today he was seen loading parcels into his car quite openly, as if it was normal. Don't even think he was aware he was doing it. He has completly lost it. Doesn't speak, looks completly distant from life. I cant believe he is still allowed to work. He seems a danger to himself and others. Im quite scared being around him.
How about talking to him? instead of just watching him self destruct spare him a bit of time,there for the grace of god it could be any one of us,
For we were soldiers once,and young
WornOutPosty
Posts: 158
Joined: 01 Oct 2012, 20:07
Gender: Male

Re: Suicide

Post by WornOutPosty »

I tried it 5 years ago and (obviously) failed. I was 23 at the time. I'm quite open in saying that I will probably try it again at some point in the future - those on here who think it's selfish and take it as a joke should wind their necks in.

Why are you asking alloria? Hope everything is OK?
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: Suicide

Post by hampshireman »

DB1100 wrote:
BrokenFlowers wrote:
alloria wrote:Just a general question. Has anybody on here ever thought about suicide? Whether work related or not?
There is a guy in a our place who is very unwell. Looks like he has had some sort of breakdown. The guy needs professional help. Today he was seen loading parcels into his car quite openly, as if it was normal. Don't even think he was aware he was doing it. He has completly lost it. Doesn't speak, looks completly distant from life. I cant believe he is still allowed to work. He seems a danger to himself and others. Im quite scared being around him.
How about talking to him? instead of just watching him self destruct spare him a bit of time,there for the grace of god it could be any one of us,
Quite tough this. You should not be afraid of being around him. He does need help and support ; from you and others in the office. I know what this is like .. I still go through terrible days . Today is a bad day.. but of course I hide anything from the office. Only maybe one or two pick it up.. and they wont understand.

The nature of this 'beast' that we work in does not allow mental problems. Sorry to say that ; but it is true. Sadly I know if that I admitted to having a mental struggle it would be round the office like wildfire. And then you would get the 'banter' And then there would be a real problem with some of the lowlifes in the office.

I have spoken to the great people on the Helpline. ANd they arranged counselling for me.. I don't have the courage to call them back.

Bad day
Lazycarton
Posts: 193
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:52
Gender: Male

Re: Suicide

Post by Lazycarton »

I suffer with depression (not RM related by the way) which has been in remission for the last 11 months. However, it is likely to rear it's ugly head at some time in the future as it is of long standing. Depressives will isolate themselves from everyone around them and it is very hard to get to them, I know. I really feel for the chap mentioned above. Sadly the RM management will ignore it until he self-destructs - very sad.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Suicide

Post by krussel »

alloria wrote:Just a general question. Has anybody on here ever thought about suicide? Whether work related or not?

Suffered from a bout of depression / avoidant in my early 20’s and did seriously think that It may be less hassle for family if I was not around. Not a happy time. :sad:

As far of the job goes I hit a down patch trying to keep my first marriage going (failed) in my early 30’s and felt the job did not help much. However that was more to do with my expectations than anything else.

Certainly not thought about suicide for 25 years and would hope that I would never think about ever again.

There’s always help out there.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: Suicide

Post by Stormproof »

I had thought about it a few years back when I was working in the Callers office. Our callers office is'nt actually located in our DO and I was met with a constant barrage of abuse by the public and lack of support by managers who refused to pick up the phone if there was a problem. Luckily I did feel something was seriously wrong with me mentally and I took myself to see the GP. ATOS confirmed that I had reactive depression that was caused by the job and the DOM at the time said I would never work in that area again. Since then I have done a couple of stints in the Callers office which has made me feel ill, as soon as I walk in the Room of Doom my anxiety levels rise. I'm just glad I realised there was a problem and got help otherwise things could've been totally different.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
Ahebban
Posts: 695
Joined: 19 May 2009, 13:41
Gender: Male
Location: Left of ... Left

Re: Suicide

Post by Ahebban »

Indeed there is a lot of help to be had. Unfortunately, you can't always see that for yourself and do need leading in the right direction by someone else, be it a family member or work colleague who takes on that initial role - quite literally it can make the difference between life or death for someone.
Ahebban - anglo-saxon in origin - meaning 'Wages War'

What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight, what counts is the size of the fight in the dog. - Mark Twain
zac
Posts: 5
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 07:51

Re: Suicide

Post by zac »

Yes I have in the past. We've had berevements at home and trouble both here and where I was before. Things came to a head after I got held up at knife point on deliveries a few years ago. CBT has helped, but I now have IBS (on medication for it) and get panic attacks. Rarely, but they take a week to get out of my system.
Why are you asking that question? As someone said, there is help out there. Don't be afraid to ask for it! It takes a strong person to admit to something is wrong. If you can't talk to family or friends about something, try the samaritans.