ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Changeover Risk

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
cyorke1987
Posts: 11
Joined: 11 May 2012, 18:46
Gender: Male

Changeover Risk

Post by cyorke1987 »

I had my changeover assessment today with a guy from the AA, I thought it went okay (obviously I was a bit nervous being shoved in a huge van when I have only a bit of driving experience) but I got put on High Risk and only allowed to drive the smaller vans to transits.
I could tell my line manager wasn't over the moon that I ended up High risk, was just wondering would this effect my position as a postie? I am currently on a temporary 3 month contract and worried that they wont keep me on

Cheers
Patrick Clifton
Posts: 430
Joined: 16 May 2010, 12:37
Gender: Male
Location: Greendale

Re: Changeover Risk

Post by Patrick Clifton »

We have a guy that was deemed such a high risk that they told him he couldnt drive any kind of van. They even sent him away on some kind of day training course! He has had the assesment 3 times now and still has not achieved a suitable level to drive a RM vehicle.

How the f**k he passed his driving test is beyond me :shock:

He isnt on a temporary contract tho, so I cannot add anything to your question :neutral:
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32787
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Changeover Risk

Post by POSTMAN »

cyorke1987 wrote:I had my changeover assessment today with a guy from the AA, I thought it went okay (obviously I was a bit nervous being shoved in a huge van when I have only a bit of driving experience) but I got put on High Risk and only allowed to drive the smaller vans to transits.
I could tell my line manager wasn't over the moon that I ended up High risk, was just wondering would this effect my position as a postie? I am currently on a temporary 3 month contract and worried that they wont keep me on

Cheers
Don't panic too much.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
cyorke1987
Posts: 11
Joined: 11 May 2012, 18:46
Gender: Male

Re: Changeover Risk

Post by cyorke1987 »

Patrick Clifton wrote:We have a guy that was deemed such a high risk that they told him he couldnt drive any kind of van. They even sent him away on some kind of day training course! He has had the assesment 3 times now and still has not achieved a suitable level to drive a RM vehicle.
Haha I wasn't that bad, I'm just not allowed to drive the LDV maxus, They shoved me out in a little van that afternoon so it cant all be bad, I just don't want to feel like i'm being a burden as the line manager said he will have to make sure there is a smaller van available when I work
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Changeover Risk

Post by Lounge Lizard »

cyorke1987 wrote:
Patrick Clifton wrote:We have a guy that was deemed such a high risk that they told him he couldnt drive any kind of van. They even sent him away on some kind of day training course! He has had the assesment 3 times now and still has not achieved a suitable level to drive a RM vehicle.
Haha I wasn't that bad, I'm just not allowed to drive the LDV maxus, They shoved me out in a little van that afternoon so it cant all be bad, I just don't want to feel like i'm being a burden as the line manager said he will have to make sure there is a smaller van available when I work
Best not driving those big vans anyway. :Very Happy
gonneslinger
Posts: 13
Joined: 09 Apr 2013, 19:07
Gender: Male

Re: Changeover Risk

Post by gonneslinger »

Is it possible to do a retest, even if you've already passed [as Medium Risk], in order to get into the lower risk category and hence be able to drive the high top vans?
answer=42
Posts: 64
Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 07:44
Gender: Male

Re: Changeover Risk

Post by answer=42 »

gonneslinger wrote:Is it possible to do a retest, even if you've already passed [as Medium Risk], in order to get into the lower risk category and hence be able to drive the high top vans?
What are we talking about here? What has your risk category to do with driving a high top van?
Does anyone have reference to where this information is laid down? With reference to the LDV Maxus we have guys driving them that did the changeover on the cdti combo, is this legal and, if not, where is it in black and white? I can't help feeling people are being allowed to drive vehicles they shouldn't be driving and if anything goes wrong it'll be their fault.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Changeover Risk

Post by DB1100 »

Don't stress,we don't get paid for driving the things so it's not as if you get any more money for driving the big ones.
For we were soldiers once,and young
vanman90
Posts: 147
Joined: 01 Apr 2014, 21:12
Gender: Male

Re: Changeover Risk

Post by vanman90 »

I was on a 3 month contract when I was declared a DANGEROUS risk and I was just kept on the walks but I had to wait 6 months before the AA guy got over the shock of the first attempt and got back in the van with me and I got a medium risk.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Changeover Risk

Post by Darren Bent »

it doesn't help people when they have to jump a modern small car to a very old big van in a rush hour. You need to get used to driving the van. You can't judge people in first 30 minutes. But I am happy to be a walker anyway.