I look for a number for EVERY house when I'm delivering. I just like the secure feeling that I'm at the right house. When there is no number I look at the next doors and work out what number I'm at. And when there is someone standing at their gate with their hand out, I always look at the door for a number. When its not there I take great delight in saying "well, that one is number 5 so this one must be number 7, is that right?".
I deliver to an estate of 60 houses, all numbered 1 - 60, most have numbers on doors. One homeowner however, has decided he is too good to have a number, and has given the house a name. He hasn't even got the house name up on his house! I often get asked where it is by angry couriers.
I even explained to him once, that you can call your house anything you want, however the *Postal Address* must be used for post, in his case 12 The estate, and he's lucky to get any post at all. A year later still no change.
