ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Do you enjoy your work?
-
PostiewithaPorsche
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 22 Apr 2011, 21:46
- Gender: Male
Do you enjoy your work?
Does anyone else enjoy being a postman. lot of the comments ive read seem to say that its a s**t job, but since the time ive been there ive really enjoyed it.
my DOM is pretty good as far as managers go, you can actually have a proper conversation without feeling like an underling. everyone in the office has been nothing but friendy. and walking tbh is not that hard if you just get on with it and dont moan every 2 mins, finished before 2 most days and before 1 on a saturday
just wondering if anyone else enjoys their job.
my DOM is pretty good as far as managers go, you can actually have a proper conversation without feeling like an underling. everyone in the office has been nothing but friendy. and walking tbh is not that hard if you just get on with it and dont moan every 2 mins, finished before 2 most days and before 1 on a saturday
just wondering if anyone else enjoys their job.
-
Cut Off King
- Posts: 1078
- Joined: 23 Jun 2009, 21:18
- Gender: Female
Re: Do you enjoy your work?
I think the problem is that most people used to enjoy the job, a few years back, we had 2 deliverys a day, 1 lot of D2D's per fortnight, time to have a cup of tea & time to do the job properly - - - and the company STILL made a good profit.
But since the DSA directive came into being , the jobs just gone down hill
But since the DSA directive came into being , the jobs just gone down hill
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Do you enjoy your work?
Yes - I still think its the best job, but it could be better.
I work hard and I do the best I can for RM. But they do not trust me enough to recognise that. Which leads me to my main point there is a complete lack of trust in RM Management from the posties, and Management see us as a resource to be used rather than an asset to be supported. Get the polotics out of the job and change the culture of them and us and RM could be one of the best business to work for.
Although I am a little encouraged by Moya's statement that she wants to improve the culture, I am not convinced anything will change although I do live in hope.
I work hard and I do the best I can for RM. But they do not trust me enough to recognise that. Which leads me to my main point there is a complete lack of trust in RM Management from the posties, and Management see us as a resource to be used rather than an asset to be supported. Get the polotics out of the job and change the culture of them and us and RM could be one of the best business to work for.
Although I am a little encouraged by Moya's statement that she wants to improve the culture, I am not convinced anything will change although I do live in hope.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
mrlovepantsuk
- Posts: 333
- Joined: 22 Jun 2007, 23:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Do you enjoy your work?
agree with TBT, there is too much emphasis on money and savings. yes RM are in it to make money but our delivery office is continually being told to make unreasonable savings even though we are very understaffed which puts pressure on the rest of us.
otherwise love the job.
otherwise love the job.
Unity Is Strength
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Do you enjoy your work?
Surprisingly enough I do still enjoy the job.
Nothing better than walking around in the fresh air with the sun on your face!
I don't enjoy the previously mentioned (in many posts) mucking about with duties, not knowing what your on from day to day, having to literally fight to get some overtime, etc etc.
Agree with TBT that if we started to fight together, instead of against each other, we could really have a good company. While you've got thick lower and middle management just trying to manage their budget, so they can get their bonus, we're not really going to get much progress.
I don't enjoy the previously mentioned (in many posts) mucking about with duties, not knowing what your on from day to day, having to literally fight to get some overtime, etc etc.
Agree with TBT that if we started to fight together, instead of against each other, we could really have a good company. While you've got thick lower and middle management just trying to manage their budget, so they can get their bonus, we're not really going to get much progress.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Do you enjoy your work?
I still enjoy the freedom of being out on the round and chatting to customers but the job has become so much harder. My delivery takes anything from 4hr 15min to 4hr 45min but iam finding that after 3hr 30min iam feeling fatigued.
I still think the money iam paid is very good for the responsibility involved for which I feel is only semi skilled. Trouble is iam twice as old from when I started and the deliveries are pretty much exactly twice as long.
I still think the money iam paid is very good for the responsibility involved for which I feel is only semi skilled. Trouble is iam twice as old from when I started and the deliveries are pretty much exactly twice as long.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Do you enjoy your work?
this could only come from moya . whos finished before most days before 2 pm. ? what a joke
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Do you enjoy your work?
Yes, one of the best jobs I've ever had.
The Civil service was known as 'better than working for a living' but I get more job satisfaction now.
The Civil service was known as 'better than working for a living' but I get more job satisfaction now.
-
dre33dd
- Posts: 96
- Joined: 04 Mar 2010, 19:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Do you enjoy your work?
personally love the outdoor part of the job.sadly after 22 years plus of working with mostly the same people...they tend to grate on me!!!
the daily use of headphones helps..
indeed there are worse jobs,FAMILIARITY BREEDS CONTEMPT??
the daily use of headphones helps..
indeed there are worse jobs,FAMILIARITY BREEDS CONTEMPT??
-
spen
- Posts: 531
- Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Do you enjoy your work?
like the outside part dislike the indoor part, soon as i walk out the office doors just feel the stress dissapear
-
NEmallard
- Posts: 103
- Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:56
- Gender: Male
- Location: North East
Re: Do you enjoy your work?
Love the job
Just take each day as it comes. No matter how much s**t they throw my way, I know within two hours , I will be outside and away from it all
Just take each day as it comes. No matter how much s**t they throw my way, I know within two hours , I will be outside and away from it all
working for Royal Mail, is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.......
-
gb93
- Posts: 1462
- Joined: 29 Oct 2009, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Do you enjoy your work?
Yes. Beats working for a living 
This ain't no baseball game, you get only one chance and you blew it.
-
George door to dawes
- Posts: 378
- Joined: 19 Feb 2011, 17:48
- Gender: Female
Re: Do you enjoy your work?
I wonder how long its been since you guys had a real job?!
Ive had the pleasure of working in a range of jobs the last 10 years from burger flipping to managing on a building site and i think RM rates pretty low to be honest!
-
enzio
- Posts: 379
- Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 16:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Do you enjoy your work?
i have been in 23 years now and i still like it. i think some times it harder if you been in the job more then 10 years as it was a great job so you look back and compare now its just a job there are still worse jobs to do 
-
johnnyp
- Posts: 5239
- Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 16:00
- Gender: Male
- Location: SE ENGLAND
Re: Do you enjoy your work?
Still like and enjoy the job even after 25 years,dont enjoy or like some of the colleagues i work with
but then they more then likely feel the same about me 