ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Reapplying after unsuccessful interview?
-
jb7445
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 17:46
- Gender: Female
Reapplying after unsuccessful interview?
Hi, I recently applied for a position as a delivery postman and attended interview - just heard I was unsuccessful. The email stated that I am only eligible to apply to RMG again in 6 months - however, I already have a couple of applications pending (I applied to three in the same city, albeit with different offices). Does anyone know what will happen with these? I.e. is there still a chance I could get an interview, or will they be withdrawn? And if they aren't withdrawn and I do get an interview, would there be any consequences for not letting them know about this interview? Cheers!
-
Midnight+13
- Posts: 118
- Joined: 28 Oct 2009, 17:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Reapplying after unsuccessful interview?
Hmmmm, you had a lucky escape! Why an earth would you want to apply again?

-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Reapplying after unsuccessful interview?
Normally RM's left hand doesn't even know it has a right hand so i would keep quiet.
What harm can it do?....they won't give you the job because you shouldn't have applied in the first place?
You have to be in it...to win it.
What harm can it do?....they won't give you the job because you shouldn't have applied in the first place?
You have to be in it...to win it.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Reapplying after unsuccessful interview?
Do you have any idea why you failed ? How were you dressed etc, perhaps too smart ?
As Fish said it cant really hurt to try can it
Have a look over some of these threads (ignore the moaning) and try to pick up and learn about some postal terms such as calling leaflets "door to door" and things like "high capacity trolley".
Then when you go for your interview you can ask some Royal Mail questions like; "On an average week how many door to door items would i be expected to complete ?" or "Would i be using a high capacity trolley, bike or have you introduced the park and loop system yet ?"If you can ask these type of questions you may get a better response
Best of luck
As Fish said it cant really hurt to try can it
Then when you go for your interview you can ask some Royal Mail questions like; "On an average week how many door to door items would i be expected to complete ?" or "Would i be using a high capacity trolley, bike or have you introduced the park and loop system yet ?"If you can ask these type of questions you may get a better response
Best of luck
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Reapplying after unsuccessful interview?
-
jack
- Posts: 299
- Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 14:32
Re: Reapplying after unsuccessful interview?
Or if you have any friends who work in any offices to which your applying, do a bit of name dropping and tell the person whos interviewing you that they told you what a wonderful and rewarding job it is 
'Royal Mail leaders could not lead a worm, they'll never take our pride cos that's what we earn'
-
wiganpostie
- Posts: 670
- Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
- Gender: Male
Re: Reapplying after unsuccessful interview?
If it was me, I would ask job-specific questions, but I would steer clear of questions about D2D's or Park and Loop - they are too contentious and might lead them to think you are a plant looking to do another exposé for Panorama or the like.krussel wrote:Do you have any idea why you failed ? How were you dressed etc, perhaps too smart ?
As Fish said it cant really hurt to try can itHave a look over some of these threads (ignore the moaning) and try to pick up and learn about some postal terms such as calling leaflets "door to door" and things like "high capacity trolley".
Then when you go for your interview you can ask some Royal Mail questions like; "On an average week how many door to door items would i be expected to complete ?" or "Would i be using a high capacity trolley, bike or have you introduced the park and loop system yet ?"If you can ask these type of questions you may get a better response![]()
Best of luck
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Reapplying after unsuccessful interview?
wiganpostie wrote:If it was me, I would ask job-specific questions, but I would steer clear of questions about D2D's or Park and Loop - they are too contentious and might lead them to think you are a plant looking to do another exposé for Panorama or the like.krussel wrote:Do you have any idea why you failed ? How were you dressed etc, perhaps too smart ?
As Fish said it cant really hurt to try can itHave a look over some of these threads (ignore the moaning) and try to pick up and learn about some postal terms such as calling leaflets "door to door" and things like "high capacity trolley".
Then when you go for your interview you can ask some Royal Mail questions like; "On an average week how many door to door items would i be expected to complete ?" or "Would i be using a high capacity trolley, bike or have you introduced the park and loop system yet ?"If you can ask these type of questions you may get a better response![]()
Best of luck
Except undercover investigators do not apply directly to Royal Mail they approach the business from an employment agency.
Don’t scare the poor sod.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
George door to dawes
- Posts: 378
- Joined: 19 Feb 2011, 17:48
- Gender: Female
Re: Reapplying after unsuccessful interview?
If they are turning people away from work maybe we are all lucky to have a job here?
If only these poor souls knew what they were applying for!
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Reapplying after unsuccessful interview?
The main reason for failing is likely to be living some distance from the delivery office, not so much local jobs for local people as that the shorter the journey to and from work the more likelyhood of a good attendance record. So probably best to be patient and just apply for vacancies in your own town. Good luck.jb7445 wrote:Hi, I recently applied for a position as a delivery postman and attended interview - just heard I was unsuccessful. The email stated that I am only eligible to apply to RMG again in 6 months - however, I already have a couple of applications pending (I applied to three in the same city, albeit with different offices). Does anyone know what will happen with these? I.e. is there still a chance I could get an interview, or will they be withdrawn? And if they aren't withdrawn and I do get an interview, would there be any consequences for not letting them know about this interview? Cheers!
-
Cedar
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 15 Jan 2011, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Reapplying after unsuccessful interview?
Don't think that's strictly true.The last five people to start in our DO,including myself,all live out of town and some distance away.Lounge Lizard wrote:The main reason for failing is likely to be living some distance from the delivery office, not so much local jobs for local people as that the shorter the journey to and from work the more likelyhood of a good attendance record. So probably best to be patient and just apply for vacancies in your own town. Good luck.jb7445 wrote:Hi, I recently applied for a position as a delivery postman and attended interview - just heard I was unsuccessful. The email stated that I am only eligible to apply to RMG again in 6 months - however, I already have a couple of applications pending (I applied to three in the same city, albeit with different offices). Does anyone know what will happen with these? I.e. is there still a chance I could get an interview, or will they be withdrawn? And if they aren't withdrawn and I do get an interview, would there be any consequences for not letting them know about this interview? Cheers!
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Reapplying after unsuccessful interview?
But were there any applicants actually living in the town ?Cedar wrote:Don't think that's strictly true.The last five people to start in our DO,including myself,all live out of town and some distance away.Lounge Lizard wrote:The main reason for failing is likely to be living some distance from the delivery office, not so much local jobs for local people as that the shorter the journey to and from work the more likelyhood of a good attendance record. So probably best to be patient and just apply for vacancies in your own town. Good luck.jb7445 wrote:Hi, I recently applied for a position as a delivery postman and attended interview - just heard I was unsuccessful. The email stated that I am only eligible to apply to RMG again in 6 months - however, I already have a couple of applications pending (I applied to three in the same city, albeit with different offices). Does anyone know what will happen with these? I.e. is there still a chance I could get an interview, or will they be withdrawn? And if they aren't withdrawn and I do get an interview, would there be any consequences for not letting them know about this interview? Cheers!
-
Cedar
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 15 Jan 2011, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Reapplying after unsuccessful interview?
Can't say for sure.It's a decent sized town and the way the job market is,I would guess that there were applicants from that area.
-
jb7445
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 17:46
- Gender: Female
Re: Reapplying after unsuccessful interview?
Cheers to everyone who replied - I guess I'll just leave the pending applications as they are and see what happens!
As for what went wrong with the interview, honestly, I don't know. I was pretty well prepared for all the 'competency' questions and the 'why Royal Mail' stuff and felt like it went fine - obviously not! The main things I thought might have been an issue were the fact I'm not from the area (I'm currently living on the other side of the country, but need to move to the city where this job was located as my partner has a new job there) so don't have any local geographical knowledge (which was 'preferred' on the person spec). I've also been in a fairly different job for the past few years (warehouse manager) so don't have any directly relevant experience - I thought lack of van driving experience in particular may have been an issue. I was also pretty smartly dressed so maybe that was a problem too, as one of you said
Oh well, if it is any of these things there really isn't anything I can do to change them (bar the clothes - maybe I'll lose the tie next time!) so I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed for the other applications and start looking elsewhere in the meantime... Thanks again everyone, and cheers for the advice re things to ask should I get another interview, I'll bear them in mind 
As for what went wrong with the interview, honestly, I don't know. I was pretty well prepared for all the 'competency' questions and the 'why Royal Mail' stuff and felt like it went fine - obviously not! The main things I thought might have been an issue were the fact I'm not from the area (I'm currently living on the other side of the country, but need to move to the city where this job was located as my partner has a new job there) so don't have any local geographical knowledge (which was 'preferred' on the person spec). I've also been in a fairly different job for the past few years (warehouse manager) so don't have any directly relevant experience - I thought lack of van driving experience in particular may have been an issue. I was also pretty smartly dressed so maybe that was a problem too, as one of you said
-
hotxbun
- Posts: 67
- Joined: 30 Dec 2010, 12:24
- Gender: Female
Re: Reapplying after unsuccessful interview?
Not being successful at interview doesn't necessarily mean that's it. I was too initially, but got a phone call out of the blue a couple of weeks later asking if I was still interested. Seems a few they did take on either didn't show or lasted less than a week !
I would definitely think twice though, if they do come back to you. You come across as having a bit of "nouse" - they don't like that, don't like being "challenged" when they manipulate the rules, as I found out to my cost. And yes, I am bitter.
I would definitely think twice though, if they do come back to you. You come across as having a bit of "nouse" - they don't like that, don't like being "challenged" when they manipulate the rules, as I found out to my cost. And yes, I am bitter.