ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Driving Allowance
-
Postie558
- Posts: 113
- Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 22:00
- Gender: Male
- Location: East Midlands
Driving Allowance
Evening all.
Can anyone enlighten me as to the rules for driving allowance?
I signed for a driving duty in our recent resign. I was hoping that I would get driving allowance to replace my D2D payments (the duty incorporates about 1 hour of foot delivery, but obviously I deliver to a fraction of the properties I did on foot).
My van is the small Maxus. According to my DOM, Driving Allowance is only payable on the 'big' Maxus. So, I'm now doing an an arguably more responsible job, but am coming out with around £15 to £20 less than when I was on a walk!
I still get the £6 / week that I've had for years (spent over 10 years as a reserve driver), but was hoping for more!
I don't know if there is any truth in it, but the DOM also reckons that the bigger vans will be downsized as they come up for replacement, which in the fullness of time, presumably means everyone will lose their allowance - assuming what he says is correct, of course.
Any ideas?
Can anyone enlighten me as to the rules for driving allowance?
I signed for a driving duty in our recent resign. I was hoping that I would get driving allowance to replace my D2D payments (the duty incorporates about 1 hour of foot delivery, but obviously I deliver to a fraction of the properties I did on foot).
My van is the small Maxus. According to my DOM, Driving Allowance is only payable on the 'big' Maxus. So, I'm now doing an an arguably more responsible job, but am coming out with around £15 to £20 less than when I was on a walk!
I still get the £6 / week that I've had for years (spent over 10 years as a reserve driver), but was hoping for more!
I don't know if there is any truth in it, but the DOM also reckons that the bigger vans will be downsized as they come up for replacement, which in the fullness of time, presumably means everyone will lose their allowance - assuming what he says is correct, of course.
Any ideas?
-
mandelsons_toenail
- Posts: 1294
- Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 18:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: Outer Hebrides
Re: Driving Allowance
afaik
we have the big 600 LDV vans for taking out bikes / bags
£27.08 a week for this?

we have the big 600 LDV vans for taking out bikes / bags
£27.08 a week for this?

Last edited by mandelsons_toenail on 03 Nov 2009, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Driving Allowance
I thought the £6 per week driving allowence was simply a grandad right thing and not dependent on van size and would not increase.
I ve been on a driving for 7 years and dont get a bean
I ve been on a driving for 7 years and dont get a bean
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
iceman2
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 17 Sep 2009, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Driving Allowance
hi i do driving duty most weeks and drop bags and people off on a ldv but dont get any driving allowance shy i get driving allowance?
-
mandelsons_toenail
- Posts: 1294
- Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 18:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: Outer Hebrides
Re: Driving Allowance
yep you should i only do it occasionally, but when you do maake sure usee ur dom, HE MUST pay you it else refuse the duty. Its £5 odd a day. Even if i do 2 days i make sure he puts me in for it.iceman2 wrote:hi i do driving duty most weeks and drop bags and people off on a ldv but dont get any driving allowance shy i get driving allowance?
Make sure they backdate you too
-
mandelsons_toenail
- Posts: 1294
- Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 18:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: Outer Hebrides
Re: Driving Allowance
that is, and its for the normal rurals etc, who used to drive back in the daykrussel wrote:I thought the £6 per week driving allowence was simply a grandad right thing and not dependent on van size and would not increase.![]()
I ve been on a driving for 7 years and dont get a bean
this money im on about is for the bigger ldv vans maxus etc, for bags etal
checked pay slip its £27.08 A WEEK for 5 days
-
fed_up_postie
- Posts: 154
- Joined: 05 Aug 2007, 12:37
- Gender: Male
- Location: lost in space
Re: Driving Allowance
I have recently been told i should have been paid this, so my dom sorted it out for me plus my £6.50 early morning shift allowance (which i lost when i moved offices but i should not have lost it) so if i get it this week as my dom said i should i am owed 39 weeks (39x£27.08=£1056.12 before tax) that should cover any more money lost due to IA

-
j.ohalloran
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 24 May 2009, 11:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Driving Allowance
I have been driving for over 20 yrs and dont get abean, they said i lost my driving money because when we had a resign yrs ago i done awalking job but went back driving .Arangment between the union and royal mail,but some lucky ones still get paid.mandelsons_toenail wrote:that is, and its for the normal rurals etc, who used to drive back in the daykrussel wrote:I thought the £6 per week driving allowence was simply a grandad right thing and not dependent on van size and would not increase.![]()
I ve been on a driving for 7 years and dont get a bean
this money im on about is for the bigger ldv vans maxus etc, for bags etal
checked pay slip its £27.08 A WEEK for 5 days
-
mrlovepantsuk
- Posts: 333
- Joined: 22 Jun 2007, 23:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Driving Allowance
thought driving allowance had stopped for new drivers, only people who used to drive before this was stopped get to keep their allowance.
Unity Is Strength
-
Postie558
- Posts: 113
- Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 22:00
- Gender: Male
- Location: East Midlands
Re: Driving Allowance
That was always my understanding, back when we all became 'unigrade' years ago. I've had the £6 / week since then, but some drivers in our office - who started driving AFTER the above came in, have been getting the full £27.50 allowance.mrlovepantsuk wrote:thought driving allowance had stopped for new drivers, only people who used to drive before this was stopped get to keep their allowance.
Have I opened a can of worms?
-
CuttingOffTodayBoss
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 12:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Driving Allowance
You get around £6 a day for driving a high-top in my office
its doesnt matter if you drive every day. or once every 6 months, we still get it for the days we drive high-top
its doesnt matter if you drive every day. or once every 6 months, we still get it for the days we drive high-top
-
iceman2
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 17 Sep 2009, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Driving Allowance
i have not been getting any driving allowance for driving the maxi ldv van where would i find out about this my manger does not want to know?
-
j.ohalloran
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 24 May 2009, 11:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Driving Allowance
I have had sciatica for many years bad at times,so after returning to work after 3wks sick with it our manager and rep suggested it may be helpful to drive the high top van as you can stand up inside easier for shifting mail bags etc, Ithought what agreat idea not only will it be better on my back, but i will get paid driving allowance at last because its alarger van.so iput in for the money. oh did the sh..t hit the fan,the manager said i cant pay 2 peoples allowance and you got cheek claiming bug offbearing in mind i have not claimed before 21 yrs driving for royal mail so i should be greatful.iceman2 wrote:i have not been getting any driving allowance for driving the maxi ldv van where would i find out about this my manger does not want to know?
-
justin time
- Posts: 71
- Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 14:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Driving Allowance
ive also been driving for the last six years and dont get a penny extra thought it was something to do with the last revision!..can anybody clear this up?
-
davidwalsh1969
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 17 Mar 2015, 14:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Driving Allowance
Hi alot of drivers who get above the £6 a week allowance have had it stopped. They were even asked to back pay it dating back many years. That was ruled out. If you drive a van smaller than a 7.5 tonne. Im pretty sure you dont get anything more.