not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

LTB 345/20 - Annual Leave : Joint statement between Royal Mail and the Communication Workers Union (CWU) on Annual Leave for the 2020/2021 leave year.

01 Jul 2020, 16:54

LTB 345/20 – Annual Leave
No. 345/2020

1st July 2020

TO: ALL BRANCHES WITH MEMBERS IN ROYAL MAIL LETTERS

Dear Colleagues

RE: Annual Leave

Branches will be aware due to the Coronavirus Covid-19 pandemic a lot of members will have been/are on sick leave, furlough or shielding. This has led to an accumulation of annual leave. Also, at the start of the pandemic, members were moving their annual leave until later in the year.

Due to the accumulation of leave, plus some members moving leave and not having leave booked, Royal Mail informed us they were going to be writing to all members within Royal Mail Letters stating they wanted all members to have 75% of their annual leave booked into PSP by 31st July.

During the discussion, it was clear Royal Mail believed they could do this without adding any extra leave slots into units and without allowing members to carry over any more than the current 5 days into next year. We advised Royal Mail this will lead to chaos in the workplace, as it would be a national directive and therefore a one size fits all scenario would not work as units would be in different situations with regard to sick leave, furlough etc.

We offered to work with Royal Mail to see if we could agree a process for the annual leave backlog, however stated the issues will need to be agreed and managed locally and not via a national directive.

Over the last few weeks we have been discussing this issue and have agreed a draft joint statement, attached at Appendix A.

The draft joint statement commits to:-

• Discussions to be held at local level with 75% of leave to be booked into PSP by end of July 2020. Each unit will have the opportunity to maximise choice to accommodate the leave.

• Once all leave applications have been received a joint exercise taking place where leave will be allocated by 10th August 2020, release will be provided to CWU reps to ensure this can take place.

• Accommodating members who may have received vouchers for holidays next year in place of a refund.

• Looking at next year’s annual leave to ensure carry-over of leave is accommodated.

The process will be reviewed at the weekly resourcing meeting and adjustments made where appropriate. To ensure the process remains within the parameters, spirit and intent of this joint statement it will be overseen by the Service Delivery Leader and nominated CWU Divisional Representative or equivalent Representative and Manager for other I.R. Structures. This will also be supported with national reviews of the process.

It is clearly much better for our reps and members to be able to discuss local arrangements rather than have a national directive and a ‘one size fits all’ scenario. This joint statement should allow this to happen.

This LTB applies to members in Royal Mail Letters, not Royal Mail Group.

All enquiries regarding the content of this LTB should be addressed to the PTCS Department, quoting reference 404. Email address: khay@cwu.org

Yours Sincerely,

Carl Maden
Assistant Secretary (Acting)

Joint statement between Royal Mail and the Communication Workers Union (CWU) on Annual Leave
for the 2020/2021 leave year. PDF

LTB 345/20 - Annual Leave : Joint statement between Royal Mail and the Communication Workers Union (CWU) on Annual Leave for the 2020/2021 leave year.

01 Jul 2020, 20:17

for me personally the bit about accommodating vouchers for next year....

ive had to cancel holiday this year and rebooked next year...
ive asked my d.o.m if they can help with with a weeks hol slot next summer....

i got the it should be ok but our gaff is a nightmare each summer to get time off so who knows...
willing to go unpaid if i have to

01 Jul 2020, 20:43

I wonder how this will work out in our office as the cwu rep does all the leave. Sheets showing the confirmed leave for the year 2020/21 were finally handed out in May 2020, around five weeks after the leave year started.

Anyone asking the DOM where the sheets were before they were handed out were told to speak to the rep. Anyone then asking the rep about it were essentially told to eff off (except his mates of course).

02 Jul 2020, 06:40

In our office normally all of November & December & parts January are blanked off and not available to book. Some of us have as many as 15 days still to book this year with no slots.

08 Jul 2020, 19:37

No spaces at all on our annual leave board. Hasn’t been for months.

I know they only allow us to carry 5 days ... but didn’t the government say everyone should be allowed to carry two weeks over because of covid?

08 Jul 2020, 23:30

I am currently in discussions with an employment lawyer, with a view to challenging Royal Mail’s stance that we can only carry-over 5 days’ leave.
The Working Time (Coronavirus) (Amendment) Regulations 2020 state:
“Where in any leave year it was not reasonably practicable for a worker to take some or all of the leave to which the worker was entitled under this regulation as a result of the effects of coronavirus (including on the worker, the employer or the wider economy or society), the worker shall be entitled to carry forward such untaken leave as provided for in paragraph (11)”

(Note, this applies only to the 4 weeks statutory leave that EU regulations guarantee as a minimum under the Working Time Directive)

A lot hangs on the phrase ‘not reasonably practicable’, but I would say having to quarantine for 14 days on your return (from many countries, even now) on a pre-booked holiday makes taking that leave not reasonably practicable, as you may not have enough leave to cover the 14 days, and/or cannot afford to take two weeks unpaid leave

28 Jul 2020, 19:09

I thought the government stated that any leave could be carried over for 2 years

29 Jul 2020, 07:09

wandle wrote: as you may not have enough leave to cover the 14 days, and/or cannot afford to take two weeks unpaid leave

If you don't have enough leave to cover the 14 days you won't have any leave to carry over either.

05 Aug 2020, 16:23

Kev dell wrote:I thought the government stated that any leave could be carried over for 2 years

An employee in my office wants to cancel their holiday and take it another time what should I do?

The expectation is that employee’s will still take the time off for their holiday. Having a rest is important for everyone especially at this time.

Employee’s should only carry forward 5 days holiday at the end of the year.

If due to operational reasons the local manager needs the employee to attend work then in exceptional circumstances they can agree for employee to return to work earlier and take their holiday at another time.

2nd post PDF in the Global Announcement...
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 71&t=94715

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1