not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Overtime ban despite crisis!

20 Mar 2020, 21:37

After completing my walk this afternoon I was greeted with an announcement that despite being in a time of crisis and currently 11 staff self-isolating, we were informed that on no account were we to work our days off, no overtime was to be paid in the foreseeable future and to revert to our contracted hours from tomorrow (21/03/2012). Now to me this seems to defy all logic as walks are failing and at a time like this surely the opposite would be implemented ie. lots of overtime as on 17/03/2012 we all were texted to ask if we could work our days off! Any thoughts?

20 Mar 2020, 21:53

Yeah start at your proper time finish at Your proper time and take Your breaks...easy! :thumbup

21 Mar 2020, 06:44

Perhaps it's something RM have got to do in order to be entitled to the govt 'wage support' money on offer to employers?

Although I've already been asked to work my day off for the next 2 weeks.

21 Mar 2020, 13:57

We've got 22 staff off. They've told us if we cover any other walks on OT they will pay us. We've basically got carte blanche to work as much as we like and they will pay us for it.

21 Mar 2020, 18:35

normal overtime is being paid (within reason) , what they arent doing is offering overtime for any failed walks. Failed walks will be going out the next day with 2 days post even if that means failing another walk in the office.

22 Mar 2020, 21:26

olilew wrote:We've got 22 staff off. They've told us if we cover any other walks on OT they will pay us. We've basically got carte blanche to work as much as we like and they will pay us for it.

Well that's kind of them to pay you to work over your time :Applause , but couldn't you do it for free and for the good of the company and the love of the job :thumbup

23 Mar 2020, 16:07

worktotime wrote:
olilew wrote:We've got 22 staff off. They've told us if we cover any other walks on OT they will pay us. We've basically got carte blanche to work as much as we like and they will pay us for it.

Well that's kind of them to pay you to work over your time :Applause , but couldn't you do it for free and for the good of the company and the love of the job
You know sadly there was a time when I would have.

23 Mar 2020, 16:46

Looks like Royal Fail are going to use Coronavirus as an excuse for the quality figures going through the floor so why spend money getting the walks out. Profits are far more important :evil/mad :evil/mad

23 Mar 2020, 17:12

They have to stop people working their days off in order to minimise our contact individuals with others...even though we are "key workers" in this , we are not actual frontline like the NHS , so there needs to be a degree of corporate responsibility (for a change!!).

If you work 6 days and do lots of OT then you are more likely (statistically) to come into contact with more people...enforcing days off helps to control this (a bit).

Duties are going to fail all over the place , get used to it...the focus will be important mail...parcels , NHS communications , government (local & national) communications etc.

Good DO managers (there are some) should be able to work out the best plan in order to not fail duties on consecutive days...also , stopping van sharing will have to mean one side of a park & loop duty not going out in full anyway.

The rule book is being ripped up here...who is gonna give a f**k if their credit card bill is delayed by a few days?!..as long as the important stuff gets through that's all that matters.

The company MUST sort our H&S situation out asap though or the absentee numbers will just keep going up...

23 Mar 2020, 17:56

We've been told the same. No overtime whatsoever from today onwards. Just over a third of the staff in our office are off sick. A lot of walks never went out on Saturday, and the same again today. Most walk holders have been moved off their walks to cover duties that didn't go out on Saturday - and because most of those walks had two days worth of mail, they were not completed and loops brought back.

I honestly think that the business, despite being considered a service that is going to keep the country going, we are heading for a temporary shutdown. If more keep going off sick, mail isn't going out, how are we supposed to keep up with the mail and packets that don't stop coming in. On top of all this, the union wants assurances from RM that social distancing advice is being adhered, and rightly so!

I might be wrong, but time will tell.

23 Mar 2020, 18:28

Still overtime available at our place and plenty of people working rest weeks/days

23 Mar 2020, 19:44

We have a big white board up logging how many people can work their days off and pressured more than ever to work over.

23 Mar 2020, 19:56

There’s blokes at ours still out delivering now.

23 Mar 2020, 20:09

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:There’s blokes at ours still out delivering now.

thats just stupid

23 Mar 2020, 21:57

How come there is such a big variation in different offices regarding overtime, days off etc. I would have thought that a decision like this would have come from the top (even Rico himself!) but it seems to be an individual DO decision. Just a thought, if we are struggling with short staff in the DO, how come there seems to be more mail and parcels than ever coming from the sorting offices, are they superhuman down there with no one off sick?

23 Mar 2020, 23:08

onejontwo wrote:How come there is such a big variation in different offices regarding overtime, days off etc. ................. but it seems to be an individual DO decision. Just a thought, if we are struggling with short staff in the DO,

But don't individual resourcing areas have their own OT budget? If your manager has been a right tightwad over the year making people work for free,
not giving WTLL, lapsing, delivering failed rounds him/herself, he/she may have loads of bucks to spend just before the end of the financial year. It might hurt his/her bonus short term but at least he/she will be able to say 'Look boss, I got all the rounds delivered during the crisis, aren't I good and deserve a bonus.....'

24 Mar 2020, 16:25

A2B wrote:Still overtime available at our place and plenty of people working rest weeks/days

I was thinking the same but today I was told off. They explained that sick pay has gone through the roof recently and there is no money to pay excess. Of course with one man per van rule our office failed like never before and it will continue to fail especially with next to nothing overtime being paid.

27 Mar 2020, 18:50

I’m off next week & asked today if I want to work it?

27 Mar 2020, 18:59

twoloops wrote:I’m off next week & asked today if I want to work it?

For double pay?

27 Mar 2020, 19:45

We are at the end of the financial year, some offices will have money left in the budget, others will not.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2