not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Balanced Week

14 Jul 2020, 15:25

Am interested to know if any offices work with this concept. For example you finish 1 hour early on a Tuesday say then go over with extended delivery by an hour on a busy Thursday. You work to your time on the other 3 days so theoretically you have worked your scheduled hours. Or is it a case of I'm cutting off on Thursday and working to my time unless I get paid overtime? It's not my fault that there wasn't enough mail on Tuesday. Can anyone tell me the official CWU line on what should happen plz ?

Balanced Week

14 Jul 2020, 15:32

There is no agreement to bank hours.
(Not yet anyway.)
It is a managers job to resource to workload. If people are finishing an hour early then they haven't properly resourced to workload.
They can't claim it back further on in the week.

Balanced Week

14 Jul 2020, 15:38

So you are saying that I should be paid overtime for going over on the Thursday despite being under on Tuesday and that the " Balanced Week " that the DOM talks about is completely irrelevant?

Balanced Week

14 Jul 2020, 15:48

RICARD020191962 wrote:So you are saying that I should be paid overtime for going over on the Thursday despite being under on Tuesday and that the " Balanced Week " that the DOM talks about is completely irrelevant?

ive never heard that one before balanced week :crazy: ? , like has been said theres no banking of hours , if you go over you claim and if you finish early then its there job to find you work till your finish time , i think your manager is trying it .

Balanced Week

14 Jul 2020, 16:07

RICARD020191962 wrote:So you are saying that I should be paid overtime for going over on the Thursday despite being under on Tuesday and that the " Balanced Week " that the DOM talks about is completely irrelevant?

Look at it this way.
If two guys are an hour under on Tuesday and only one goes over an hour on Thursday how many hours do each of them get paid?

Balanced Week

14 Jul 2020, 16:12

I work in a relatively small delivery office and since the explosion of packets and the decline in letters due to the pandemic it has become blatantly apparent that the start/finish times are not fit for purpose. Many here finish way early on Monday and Tuesday then have to claim extended to complete on Thursday and Friday. However it doesn't quite feel right claiming overtime at the end of the week when I have probably haven't met my scheduled hours over the course of the week. Can't imagine any other business/company where this would be allowed to happen.

Balanced Week

14 Jul 2020, 16:19

As has been pointed out it is management's job to resource to workload. They have all the fancy tools available to them to do this.
It is not your fault they are blatantly incapable of doing one of the main things they are paid to do.

Balanced Week

14 Jul 2020, 16:23

We also have full timers who now start later to help with social distancing but consequently do absolutely zero sorting or prepping which was part of the duty pre Covid and probably work about 30 hours a week at a push. It's all a bit of a shambles and there's no sign of anything changing anytime soon.

Balanced Week

14 Jul 2020, 16:31

RICARD020191962 wrote:... there's no sign of anything changing anytime soon.

It has to change and very soon.
They can't claim to be losing a million pounds a day and do nothing.
The terms for revision activity are supposed to be agreed within the next week. Then we shall see.

One thing is certain - we are going to pay for it. So while I understand your reluctance to claim an hour overtime on Thursday if you finish an hour early on Tuesday, it might not be an option much longer (some offices are not paying any extended overtime as it is) so make hay while the sun shines and don't let your manager make up national agreements.

Balanced Week

14 Jul 2020, 17:21

No overtime in ours for past month, if you can't finish you bring it back.

Balanced Week

14 Jul 2020, 18:43

RICARD020191962 wrote:We also have full timers who now start later to help with social distancing but consequently do absolutely zero sorting or prepping which was part of the duty pre Covid and probably work about 30 hours a week at a push. It's all a bit of a shambles and there's no sign of anything changing anytime soon.

That’s up to management. Do as others have said claim your hour on Thursday and when you get back on a Monday/Tuesday ask them what they would like you to do until your finish time, that’s if you can find any of them as their finish times seem to have got earlier as well.

Balanced Week

15 Jul 2020, 15:45

RICARD020191962 wrote:We also have full timers who now start later to help with social distancing but consequently do absolutely zero sorting or prepping which was part of the duty pre Covid and probably work about 30 hours a week at a push. It's all a bit of a shambles and there's no sign of anything changing anytime soon.

I am in a link of 5 & 3 fully timers are supposed to start at 9am but 1 comes in 8.15am & other 2 come in 8.30. Me & full timer do all the sorting we start at 7.12am & they just come in & prep there own deliveries & get no extra work it’s driving me crazy!

Balanced Week

15 Jul 2020, 17:59

That's what I mean, no sign of DOM demanding a return to scheduled start times for those who are coming in later so we are every day 4/5 sorters light and then even when we have to lapse everyone follows the pre ordained lapsing plan and does 10/15 minutes. Have tried to argue that the late starters/non sorters should do more but falls on deaf ears every time as they are perceived as "helping out" by coming in later. Ridiculous state of affairs!

Balanced Week

17 Jul 2020, 17:30

RICARD020191962 wrote:That's what I mean, no sign of DOM demanding a return to scheduled start times for those who are coming in later so we are every day 4/5 sorters light and then even when we have to lapse everyone follows the pre ordained lapsing plan and does 10/15 minutes. Have tried to argue that the late starters/non sorters should do more but falls on deaf ears every time as they are perceived as "helping out" by coming in later. Ridiculous state of affairs!

Lapsing taking ten to 15 minutes? It can take ten minutes just to drive to your lapsing in my office

Balanced Week

18 Jul 2020, 06:28

RICARD020191962 wrote:That's what I mean, no sign of DOM demanding a return to scheduled start times for those who are coming in later so we are every day 4/5 sorters light and then even when we have to lapse everyone follows the pre ordained lapsing plan and does 10/15 minutes. Have tried to argue that the late starters/non sorters should do more but falls on deaf ears every time as they are perceived as "helping out" by coming in later. Ridiculous state of affairs!

I bet its really difficult getting on the late shift then, as it sounds great. Once again I bet the dreaded 'seniority' means all the old timers get first dibs, and the poor newbies have to stick to starting early in the morning, so unfair........

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1