not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

the potential strikes

16 Mar 2020, 20:26

wonder if the during the current climate the CWU may delay calling strikes?
for 1 communications may become vital to the country, i can cope with disruption of xmas and elections but this is a more serious situation where its a matter of life or death
and 2, with potentially 1000s of people temporary or permanently out of work due to no fault of their own, public support would be very low
the workload is already dwindling with the Asian market and pretty soon the UK market will follow and us actually striking may be better for RM to save money without too much disruption

the potential strikes

16 Mar 2020, 20:31

lets see if they stop executive action first :left:

the potential strikes

16 Mar 2020, 20:43

hans solo wrote:lets see if they stop executive action first :left:

i don't think they'll even try this time even if they found another loophole, and my thinking is that as now, they're hoping for strikes knowing the public will probably side with them, their PR is better at putting their side across
the facts on why we're in dispute only seem visible to those with a keen eye on us on twitter, like in november, most of the joe public don't even know we are currently being balloted never mind we got blocked last year

the potential strikes

16 Mar 2020, 21:08

world class male wrote:wonder if the during the current climate the CWU may delay calling strikes?
for 1 communications may become vital to the country, i can cope with disruption of xmas and elections but this is a more serious situation where its a matter of life or death
and 2, with potentially 1000s of people temporary or permanently out of work due to no fault of their own, public support would be very low
the workload is already dwindling with the Asian market and pretty soon the UK market will follow and us actually striking may be better for RM to save money without too much disruption

Foreign mail might drop off a lot soon (from many countries) with a lot less flights running, that's a lot less flights that the mail can be loaded onto.

I do wonder if the government if they had to might bring an an emergency law to make any strikes by the CWU illegal. If over 70s are going to be in self-isolation for think it was four months then they're going to feel very isolated

the potential strikes

16 Mar 2020, 21:15

It'll be interesting to see if we do vote in favour and go on strike, the picket lines are gonna be massive with everyone having to stand 6 feet away from one another, If anyone gets a cough though, be sure to send them in to see management just incase ;)

the potential strikes

16 Mar 2020, 21:29

I can’t risk coughing.Dont have any toilet paper.

the potential strikes

16 Mar 2020, 22:10

Strike action when voted for should be deferred until the current crisis is over which should be around XMAS which will be perfect :nana

the potential strikes

17 Mar 2020, 08:20

Stammerking wrote:Strike action when voted for should be deferred until the current crisis is over which should be around XMAS which will be perfect :nana

Only thing is they will have bought everything in that they want by then by executive action.

the potential strikes

17 Mar 2020, 10:53

Does anyone think we would strike during the biggest crisis to hit our nation since WW2?
I bloody hope we wouldn't ,union should be getting together with management and agree a 'asyou are' strategy with no changes .

the potential strikes

17 Mar 2020, 11:01

What are the chances that the government would go to court to get an injunction to either declare the result null and void or to prevent any strikes until the Coronasvirus has been dealt with?

the potential strikes

17 Mar 2020, 11:54

SpacePhoenix wrote:What are the chances that the government would go to court to get an injunction to either declare the result null and void or to prevent any strikes until the Coronasvirus has been dealt with?

Honest answer none.

Government can't intervene in the strike or take any legal action as a government as they legislation in place at the moment doesn' allow it, and of course, the fact that we are now a private company has a bearing on it.

What they could do is declare a state of emergency or national crisis, and enact the Civil Contingencies Act 2004 (2004) then as long as they get the MPs to agree and for a fixed period (30 days or more if voted in) they can pass any legislation they want such as banning industrial action etc.

The second part of the Act provides that temporary emergency regulations are normally made through Order in Council or by a Minister of the Crown if arranging for an Order in Council would not be possible without serious delay. Such regulations are limited in duration to 30 days, unless Parliament votes to extend this period before it expires. The only primary legislation which may not be amended by emergency regulations is the Human Rights Act 1998 and Part 2 of the Civil Contingencies Act itself. There was an attempt by Conservative and Liberal Democrat peers to add a number of other key constitutional laws to the exemption list during the Bill stage, but this was unsuccessful.

the potential strikes

17 Mar 2020, 15:47

antcpfc wrote:Does anyone think we would strike during the biggest crisis to hit our nation since WW2?
I bloody hope we wouldn't ,union should be getting together with management and agree a 'asyou are' strategy with no changes .

Not far off retirement now and I have never crossed a picket line in my life, but I won't be striking while people may be relying on us in a time of crisis.

the potential strikes

17 Mar 2020, 15:48

Stammerking wrote:Strike action when voted for should be deferred until the current crisis is over which should be around XMAS which will be perfect :nana

A strike ballot is only valid for 6 months extended to 9 with agreement from the employer. :left:

the potential strikes

17 Mar 2020, 16:08

Schiff wrote:
antcpfc wrote:Does anyone think we would strike during the biggest crisis to hit our nation since WW2?

Not far off retirement now and I have never crossed a picket line in my life, but I won't be striking while people may be relying on us in a time of crisis.

Same here . Started 1985 and gone out every day we have been asked to. The public will think us a right bunch of ***** if we went out.

the potential strikes

17 Mar 2020, 16:42

antcpfc wrote:.....The public will think us a right bunch of ***** if we went out.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you - Carphone Warehouse staff losing their jobs, FlyBe gone, Laura Ashley going into
administration, how many hospitality/service industry staff/businesses are going to go to the wall.......I know we've
got a dispute with RM but there will be absolutely zero public support right now if we go on strike.

the potential strikes

17 Mar 2020, 16:57

Schiff wrote:Not far off retirement now and I have never crossed a picket line in my life, but I won't be striking while people may be relying on us in a time of crisis.

We're not the emergency services! Plenty of other operations going on to support the needs of the vulnerable. Anyway, if you're near retirement you probably don't care so much what happens to the job in the future.
antcpfc wrote:Same here . Started 1985 and gone out every day we have been asked to. The public will think us a right bunch of ***** if we went out.

Or maybe they would think "How bad must the management be if the poor posties are still going on strike?". Always more than one way of looking at something.
This is our last opportunity to salvage what is good with Royal Mail before it is transformed into 'Just another Courier'.
If RM are willing to call a truce, then so should the Union. Otherwise we need to carry on.
If RM are going to try to use the situation to their advantage, and our detriment, then the Union should use the situation to our advantage!

the potential strikes

17 Mar 2020, 16:58

The union have just said now is not the time to strike.

the potential strikes

17 Mar 2020, 17:14

A strike isn't happening.
We know it.
RM know it.
CWU should know it.
I would imagine they're at this moment looking for the 'right words'.
Wouldn't surprise me if there's a joint statement hand holding (elbow bumping) moment coming.

the potential strikes

17 Mar 2020, 17:18

Deadly wrote:The union have just said now is not the time to strike.

Today? Tomorrow? Sometime? Never?
Give the union the yes vote then we do nothing.Wow Terry why are people so lethargic when it comes to voting?

the potential strikes

17 Mar 2020, 17:35

Just watched the video on the ballot turnout. They're basically trying to call for a truce with RM, which is the best move. It just depends on RM now. He did say IA is not off the cards if RM continue with EA.(I hate abbreviations sometimes). Let's hope RM see sense...

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2