not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

National crisis

15 Mar 2020, 11:12

Can anybody else see the Government passing temporary legislation, either banning industrial action or allowing the business to recruit temporary workers during industrial action whilst the Coronavirus continues?
It would be hard for MPs to vote against it if they claim it could help save lives.

National crisis

15 Mar 2020, 11:44

I don't think they'll have to pass any legislation.
Calling for industrial action at the moment would be an act of crass stupidity on the part of the union.

I don't believe they're that stupid but I've been wrong before.

National crisis

15 Mar 2020, 11:59

Shouldn’t the union be pro-active now. Ask the government to intervene by ensuring RM halt their executive action in exchange for us postponing industrial action?

National crisis

15 Mar 2020, 12:02

More over shouldnt we be pressed into service helping tesco/asda etc with food and medicine drops and leave the letters alone for now?

National crisis

15 Mar 2020, 12:14

pinstripe wrote:Shouldn’t the union be pro-active now. Ask the government to intervene by ensuring RM halt their executive action in exchange for us postponing industrial action?

It would certainly make sense for the union to take the lead and stop being dragged along by events.

Apart from the obvious political fallout...

1. Are you really going to call a strike and ask people to gather in large groups outside their workplace.

2. How effective is a strike going to be when up to 25% of your members could be off ill anyway and RM will already be in crisis mode.

3. How can you ask members to lose money when they may already have a partner off ill and on SSP and extra childcare costs?

4. Even if you get a negotiating team together that isn't sick how are you going to get RM to sit in a room with them?

5. At the moment members are quite rightly focused on the health of their family, the job comes way down the list of priorities.

National crisis

15 Mar 2020, 12:28

I think we can all safely say that any industrial action will be postponed, it's ridiculous to think otherwise.

National crisis

15 Mar 2020, 12:57

If RM suspend deliveries and we all got sent home to self isolate for 2 weeks, they would still have to pay us. If we go on strike they won't have to pay us so I think RM will not challenge IA in the current climate I think they would say 'Knock yourselves out!'

National crisis

15 Mar 2020, 13:24

if we dont take ia this time were f****d
coronovirus nothing to do with our ballot or actions from it
we are still working after all

National crisis

15 Mar 2020, 14:04

I think the union can't ignore what is going on (especially when I've seen the home made video of Terry himself off work with a bad flu or this virus hopefully not the latter! ) He indeed said under the current climate of what's going on worldwide/national we most importantly need to be disciplined but I think it would be another open goal (unfortunately )if we just acted like a bull in a China shop and brashly called for industrial action :hmmmm but I'm pretty sure the union know that but I suppose time will tell on Tuesday? Very interesting but very depressing times (bring back the 90's cold war had just finished war on terror hadn't begun and nobody had their faces constantly in phones! And it was always sunny :chuckle )

National crisis

15 Mar 2020, 14:10

Post69 wrote:I think the union can't ignore what is going on (especially when I've seen the home made video of Terry himself off work with a bad flu or this virus hopefully not the latter! ) He indeed said under the current climate of what's going on worldwide/national we most importantly need to be disciplined but I think it would be another open goal (unfortunately )if we just acted like a bull in a China shop and brashly called for industrial action :hmmmm but I'm pretty sure the union know that but I suppose time will tell on Tuesday? Very interesting but very depressing times (bring back the 90's cold war had just finished war on terror hadn't begun and nobody had their faces constantly in phones! And it was always sunny :chuckle )

Eeee, and it were a pleasant stroll down t’hill on way to work, and downhill on t’way ‘ome an’all...

National crisis

15 Mar 2020, 14:28

If RM are pressing ahead with Executive Action, then we should press ahead with Industrial Action...
If the company cannot call a truce, then why should we be put at a disadvantage?

National crisis

15 Mar 2020, 14:37

What exactly are we going to be delivering if business shut down for a period of time?

National crisis

15 Mar 2020, 14:43

wandle wrote:
Post69 wrote:I think the union can't ignore what is going on (especially when I've seen the home made video of Terry himself off work with a bad flu or this virus hopefully not the latter! ) He indeed said under the current climate of what's going on worldwide/national we most importantly need to be disciplined but I think it would be another open goal (unfortunately )if we just acted like a bull in a China shop and brashly called for industrial action :hmmmm but I'm pretty sure the union know that but I suppose time will tell on Tuesday? Very interesting but very depressing times (bring back the 90's cold war had just finished war on terror hadn't begun and nobody had their faces constantly in phones! And it was always sunny :chuckle )

Eeee, and it were a pleasant stroll down t’hill on way to work, and downhill on t’way ‘ome an’all...

Yep :nana

National crisis

15 Mar 2020, 17:31

Deadly wrote:I think we can all safely say that any industrial action will be postponed, it's ridiculous to think otherwise.

Then it should be on the understanding Royal Mail stop all executive action.

National crisis

15 Mar 2020, 17:33

What's the betting everyone will just call in sick claiming they're self-isolating due to CV symptoms on any strike dates.

National crisis

15 Mar 2020, 17:39

scoobydo79 wrote:
Deadly wrote:I think we can all safely say that any industrial action will be postponed, it's ridiculous to think otherwise.

Then it should be on the understanding Royal Mail stop all executive action.

Totally agree, maybe a bit of government interference is what we need.

National crisis

16 Mar 2020, 09:03

pinstripe wrote:Shouldn’t the union be pro-active now. Ask the government to intervene by ensuring RM halt their executive action in exchange for us postponing industrial action?

I’m willing to bet Government won’t want to know.Thats why they sold us off for the quick cash and no more hassle.They will just say it’s in Royal Mails hands.How much interest have they shown over railways?

National crisis

16 Mar 2020, 11:40

wacko74 wrote:What's the betting everyone will just call in sick claiming they're self-isolating due to CV symptoms on any strike dates.

As I understand the policy when strike dates are actually advised all new leave requests for those dates are refused and all absence on the IA day is classed as IA unless a Doctors certificate confirms otherwise.

National crisis

17 Mar 2020, 09:33

freespeech wrote:
wacko74 wrote:What's the betting everyone will just call in sick claiming they're self-isolating due to CV symptoms on any strike dates.

As I understand the policy when strike dates are actually advised all new leave requests for those dates are refused and all absence on the IA day is classed as IA unless a Doctors certificate confirms otherwise.

Your 14 day isolation period could start five days before a strike day. Tell me RM will happily be seen as putting all those responsible members of public who are following the governments advice down as strikers. The headlines would be worth it.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1