not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

What will a Strike achieve?

04 Mar 2020, 19:17

Can someone enlighten me on what a strike will achieve at this time of year . My thoughts are most customers will not even realise we’re on strike as most address only receive letters 2 or 3 days a week , and any business will simply use another courier for their packets needs , there are many to chose from nowadays all just a click away on the internet . Also I’m sure RM have a plan , lockdown all entry of letters into the system during notice period, then have the casual parcel drivers they are advertising for deliver the most important tracked packets keeping those customers happy.

04 Mar 2020, 19:41

Scrumpy wrote:Can someone enlighten me on what a strike will achieve at this time of year . My thoughts are most customers will not even realise we’re on strike as most address only receive letters 2 or 3 days a week , and any business will simply use another courier for their packets needs , there are many to chose from nowadays all just a click away on the internet . Also I’m sure RM have a plan , lockdown all entry of letters into the system during notice period, then have the casual parcel drivers they are advertising for deliver the most important tracked packets keeping those customers happy.

So what do you suggest we do ? Bend over and accept all royal mails changes ?

04 Mar 2020, 19:47

Your oversimplifying,were the only people who deliver letters so the whole country doesnt get any letters for as long as the strikes last,and royalmail wont want to lose the parcel business to other couriers so they keep saying.

04 Mar 2020, 19:51

Interesting post in that you've answered your own question in the post,the threat of strike action could possibly prompt parcel sending customers to go elsewhere which is obviously not what RM want.
As far as the people who only receive a few letters a week not noticing that we're on strike, RM don't care as that's the business that they don't want.

04 Mar 2020, 19:52

Scrumpy wrote:Can someone enlighten me on what a strike will achieve at this time of year . My thoughts are most customers will not even realise we’re on strike as most address only receive letters 2 or 3 days a week , and any business will simply use another courier for their packets needs , there are many to chose from nowadays all just a click away on the internet . Also I’m sure RM have a plan , lockdown all entry of letters into the system during notice period, then have the casual parcel drivers they are advertising for deliver the most important tracked packets keeping those customers happy.

Oh they'll know about it when it hits the mainstream media. You're contradicting yourself Scrumpy, "any business will simply use another courier", but "have casual parcel drivers deliver the most important tracked packets".

I say again, the point isn't to strike, (most people wouldn't want to, but would do if necessary). It's to get both parties to come to a fair and amicable solution.

But if it does come to a strike, this WILL hurt Royal Mail. Bad publicity, falling share price, loss of business etc.

04 Mar 2020, 20:07

Is scrumpy Rico lol

04 Mar 2020, 20:08

Yes they don't want the letters side but they still have to be delivered unless Ofcom change the uso in a week.

What will a Strike achieve ?

04 Mar 2020, 20:21

richietns wrote:Yes they don't want the letters side but they still have to be delivered unless Ofcom change the uso in a week.

I feel the Union have lost focus and are chomping at the bit to strike to have the last say as the high court ruling truly damaged the Union reputation. I will strike as fortunate to be able to take the loss in earnings , it will be nice especially if over Easter as I couldn’t get the time off this year

04 Mar 2020, 20:35

The union have mucked it up a bit but there on the workers side,just look at the other delivery companys with no union they have no say what so ever and get walked all over.sorry about the pun.

05 Mar 2020, 21:55

Jeez, where do you work? This week,our office has been on a par with most days we saw late November.

06 Mar 2020, 06:39

Our grief is not with the customer it is with the RM. The aim is not to punish the customers its to focus the minds of our leadership. The very fact that our customers could quite easily use another currier should be enough to get management around the table and stop this madness. Once they go, will they come back? If the strike is sustained the chances of them ever coming back diminishes.

06 Mar 2020, 10:47

ted_e_bear wrote:Interesting post in that you've answered your own question in the post,the threat of strike action could possibly prompt parcel sending customers to go elsewhere which is obviously not what RM want.
As far as the people who only receive a few letters a week not noticing that we're on strike, RM don't care as that's the business that they don't want.

But then on the flip side of that if people go elsewhere to send parcels and then they're happy sending their parcels thru a new courier which will also probably be cheaper then they'll stick with said new courier thus reducing parcels sent thru RM which could lead to job losses. I voted "Yes" btw before you send the mob out.

06 Mar 2020, 11:14

Ren Hoëk wrote:If the strike is sustained the chances of them ever coming back diminishes.

And who is that going to hurt the most?
Rico? Who we are continually told has no attachment to this great institution and probably won't stay for long anyway.
Or the people who rely on this job to pay their mortgage and feed their kids? (And for some on a 25 hour contract it doesn't even do that)

Is the new mantra - let's lose work to save our jobs? (Doublethink at its purest)

06 Mar 2020, 11:53

clashcityrocker wrote:
Ren Hoëk wrote:If the strike is sustained the chances of them ever coming back diminishes.

Rico? Who we are continually told has no attachment to this great institution and probably won't stay for long anyway.
Or the people who rely on this job to pay their mortgage and feed their kids? (And for some on a 25 hour contract it doesn't even do that)

Is the new mantra - let's lose work to save our jobs? (Doublethink at its purest)

It will reflect poorly on Rico. Not working with employees, purveying a false offer that's not even guaranteed, and not part of the dispute. And it will be HIM resoponsible for losing business...

06 Mar 2020, 12:19

Problem is Rico is 66 years old all ready made his millions,he does'nt care about us just his targets and his ego to get his own way.
But if we dont strike we will never know,best we cant hope for is a watered down version of the management plans.

06 Mar 2020, 16:42

billie2 wrote:Problem is Rico is 66 years old all ready made his millions,he does'nt care about us just his targets and his ego to get his own way.
But if we dont strike we will never know,best we cant hope for is a watered down version of the management plans.

Agreed, but hopefully we can achieve this with another massive yes vote, without having to strike.

06 Mar 2020, 16:48

I hope you guys don’t mind me posting on your message board, but it will hopefully give a perspective from ‘the other side of the fence’ and help me understand a few points. I am the owner of an eCommerce company and we ship approximately 50k parcels per month. 90% of our parcels are sent by Royal Mail. I joined this forum, when industrial action (IA) looked possible before the four pillars agreement was made, so that I could keep abreast of what was happening in order to protect my business against the disruption that IA would create for us.

Firstly, I’m trying to understand why people are against the business evolving to become first and foremost a parcel business, given that Royal Mail have guaranteed any cuts will come from Voluntary Redundancy?

Secondly, given the rate of change in the industry, what do you hope to get out of the threat of IA, or indeed IA itself. I have asked with sincerity the guys that do our collections what would be a good outcome for them, and they can't give me an answer. It seems that they are leaving everything in the hands of the CWU and will accept whatever they achieve on their behalf? However, to my knowledge, the CWU has't made clear what they would agree to?

As the dispute grew and the ballot last year achieved a mandate for IA we HAD to start looking elsewhere otherwise our business would very likely have been adversely affected had it gone ahead. Fortunately for us it didn’t, and we delayed the implementation and integration of Hermes until after Christmas to get an idea of which way things were going to go.

Of course, my preferred choice of supplier is Royal Mail, but as soon as the re-ballot was announced we were effectively forced to move a large portion of our shipments to Hermes so that IF IA is taken, we can simply channel all of our business through them. We are now in contract with Hermes for 12 months, so no matter what happens Royal Mail have lost a large portion of our business. If IA does go ahead then we will move the rest.

Please understand that my questions and comments are genuine. Perhaps there is some things that I have missed or not privy too. I also understand that ultimately, we look out for number 1, just as we have had too do. But I'm really interested to understand what people consider a win, and how IA will achieve it?

Thanks, Lee

06 Mar 2020, 17:24

If we do not strike, then the business will move forward on the new premise that engaging the union / workers is not necessary.

If we do not strike, change will be brought in by force rather than collaboratively.

If we do not strike, it means agreements between the employer and employees do not mean anything and cannot be relied upon.

We are threatening to strike because the board and the union are at loggerheads.

The reason why is because they have different visions for the RM brand of the future. One is cheap cheap labour with little union involvement (which is seen as unnecessary cost and delay) to compete against Hermes / Yodel.

The other is a premium brand competing against DPD / UPS, with an expanded public role to that which we have now. I know which I’d rather work for.

Edit: also, if we did not threaten strike a few years ago, we’d be on route ownership and not employees. So I’ll add another:

The past tells us that if we do not threaten to strike, we’d be worse off.

06 Mar 2020, 17:33

leemg wrote:I hope you guys don’t mind me posting on your message board, but it will hopefully give a perspective from ‘the other side of the fence’ and help me understand a few points. I am the owner of an eCommerce company and we ship approximately 50k parcels per month. 90% of our parcels are sent by Royal Mail. I joined this forum, when industrial action (IA) looked possible before the four pillars agreement was made, so that I could keep abreast of what was happening in order to protect my business against the disruption that IA would create for us.

Firstly, I’m trying to understand why people are against the business evolving to become first and foremost a parcel business, given that Royal Mail have guaranteed any cuts will come from Voluntary Redundancy?

Secondly, given the rate of change in the industry, what do you hope to get out of the threat of IA, or indeed IA itself. I have asked with sincerity the guys that do our collections what would be a good outcome for them, and they can't give me an answer. It seems that they are leaving everything in the hands of the CWU and will accept whatever they achieve on their behalf? However, to my knowledge, the CWU has't made clear what they would agree to?

As the dispute grew and the ballot last year achieved a mandate for IA we HAD to start looking elsewhere otherwise our business would very likely have been adversely affected had it gone ahead. Fortunately for us it didn’t, and we delayed the implementation and integration of Hermes until after Christmas to get an idea of which way things were going to go.

Of course, my preferred choice of supplier is Royal Mail, but as soon as the re-ballot was announced we were effectively forced to move a large portion of our shipments to Hermes so that IF IA is taken, we can simply channel all of our business through them. We are now in contract with Hermes for 12 months, so no matter what happens Royal Mail have lost a large portion of our business. If IA does go ahead then we will move the rest.

Please understand that my questions and comments are genuine. Perhaps there is some things that I have missed or not privy too. I also understand that ultimately, we look out for number 1, just as we have had too do. But I'm really interested to understand what people consider a win, and how IA will achieve it?

Thanks, Lee

Its because we are going to get unachievable levels of work, and as proud workers we dont want the customers to have to accept that.

For example, most of the parcels you send will only be delivered by around 300 offices instead of the current 1400. They will be done between 1pm and 7pm and if your customers arent in we wont be able to leave them at the nearest delivery office or post office as they will be closed when we finish. They will need to go back to the delivery office that ' parcel postie' is operating from (lat hub) which could be up to 40 miles away from the recipient, forcing your customers into an 80 mile round trip if they arent in when we call to collect the parcel, hardly ideal is it!

06 Mar 2020, 17:50

clashcityrocker wrote:

You're right. Lets do nothing :arrrghhh :arrrghhh Every strike, Ever, the ultimate goal is to show management that without its workers the business will fail.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 3   1, 2, 3