not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Delivery Industry and threat to our jobs

16 Oct 2019, 23:05

I believe the CWU have done a good job in protecting our terms and conditions since privatisation against the industry wide abuse of labour by courier companies.
Parcel deliveries are always going to be based on price and reliability.
Though we maybe able to complete with Courier companies on reliability in the long run they'll eat into our business.
I believe the only solution for this in the long term is through legislative intervention by restricting employers abusing working practices like zero hour contracts, self employed, franchises of routes.
The only way this will happen is by electing a Labour government. I know this isn't everyones cup of tea but it's the only way of achieving a level playing field and protecting our jobs, pay, terms and conditions in the long run.
As a general election is very likely in the coming months I believe the CWU should actively campaign our members and tell them a that jobs, terms, conditions, and a level playing field can only achieved through a Labour government. The CWU are after all affiliated to the Labour Party. It is my opinion that if we don't elect a Labour government then slowly but surely the industry standards will become RM standards. After a hard fought 4 pillars battle where RM took the DB pension we are back fighting. RM will come back next year and the year after that for all our terms and conditions. Let me hear your views and strategies for the short and long term.

17 Oct 2019, 06:04

If the government were to act upon the findings of the Taylor Review into the ''gig economy'' (as TM said they would) then our competitors might be a lot less competitive if they have to start paying better wages and improved T&C's... but I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen as long as the Tories remain in charge.

17 Oct 2019, 06:30

I'm a life long Labour voter, but I would rather loose my job than vote Corbyn.

17 Oct 2019, 07:06

twoloops wrote:I'm a life long Labour voter, but I would rather loose my job than vote Corbyn.

I'm not a huge fan of Corbyn but the reality is he's not really anymore ''far left'' than many other Labour leaders prior to Tony Blair(aka Tory Lite, aka Thatchers ''greatest achievement'', her words, not mine)...

We've just become so indoctrinated by the right wing/corporatist media in this country to believe that Corbyn is on a par with Mao and Stalin.

17 Oct 2019, 09:36

twoloops wrote:I'm a life long Labour voter, but I would rather loose my job than vote Corbyn.

Some people don’t have the luxury of being able to junk their job like that, for those without work or in casual employment electing a Labour government’s their best chance of survival, it’s really a matter of life and death, you ignorant fool.

17 Oct 2019, 17:00

Any working class person who doesn't vote labour is deluded.the Tories hate the Unions

17 Oct 2019, 23:18

The Labour party are incapable of running the country. We will likely never recover from the mess Brown & Bliar left behind them. I do agree we need legislation to prevent fake self employment and to ensure the minimum wage or more is paid to workers. The TUC should probably have lobbied for this as without this being secured the CWU will have the devils own job trying to stop the 'new parcel strategy' being implemented.

17 Oct 2019, 23:59

What party if not Labour do you think is going to deliver this legislation

18 Oct 2019, 05:44

Mike1259 wrote:Any working class person who doesn't vote labour is deluded.the Tories hate the Unions

Agreed, there's only two types of people vote Tory... millionaires and idiots (take a look at your bank balance if you need to figure out which you are).

Anyone who is vaguely working class and votes Tory is suffering from delusions of grandeur.

18 Oct 2019, 05:47

Celgar wrote:The Labour party are incapable of running the country. We will likely never recover from the mess Brown & Bliar left behind them.

Brown and Bliar weren't Labour, they were New Labour aka Tory Lite.

18 Oct 2019, 14:33

wacko74 wrote:
Celgar wrote:The Labour party are incapable of running the country. We will likely never recover from the mess Brown & Bliar left behind them.

Brown and Bliar weren't Labour, they were New Labour aka Tory Lite.

WHATEVER geezer...they sure ain't Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson :coolr
OR...RMG CEO RICO BACK, Back (Born Hamburg, Germany 1954) was a founding member and managing director of German Parcel, bought in 1999 by Royal Mail and subsequently rebranded as GLS.
As of June 2018, Back was head of Royal Mail's European subsidiary General Logistics Systems (GLS). As CEO he will receive the same £790,000 pay and benefits package - plus a possible £1.3 million bonus (and a £6 million golden hello). As of 2018, Back and his family live near Zurich, Switzerland, where they have been resident for more than ten years and where he is legally domiciled...so DOES NOT PAY TAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DIRTY DODGER :shock: :coolr

19 Oct 2019, 00:38

Well if this so called BREXIT deal goes through he and the conservatives will have free reign over us all this deal is just a stop gap from a penal Colony in the Atlantic ocean from the EU!

19 Oct 2019, 03:56

Same, won't vote Tory, cant stand Corbyn, Lib Dems getting my vote at this point.

19 Oct 2019, 10:49

Vote Lib Dem, get a Tory majority government, very smart.

It’s hilarious to me that Labour voters are often accused of being members/victims of a personality cult yet it’s only folk who can’t stand Corbyn basing their decision on who to vote for on one guy lol, if we held our noses to vote for Blair Brown and Miliband the least anyone who thinks of themselves as vaguely on the left can do is return the favour now.

19 Oct 2019, 11:00

There’s a bit in Johnson’s deal that says the Tories will ensure “our employment practices keep pace with modern ways of working”, this should terrify all workers, the Tories love the gig economy and see its growth as a good thing partly because it’s enabled workers’ rights to be diminished without government actually having to get its hands dirty by reducing the minimum wage or slashing maternity and paternity rights, etc, they’ve let companies like Amazon and the platforms like Uber do it via the backdoor, the only hope of trying to stop this is to vote Labour.

Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/Lafargue/sta ... 76/photo/1

19 Oct 2019, 16:56

wacko74 wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of Corbyn but the reality is he's not really anymore ''far left'' than many other Labour leaders prior to Tony Blair(aka Tory Lite, aka Thatchers ''greatest achievement'', her words, not mine)...

We've just become so indoctrinated by the right wing/corporatist media in this country to believe that Corbyn is on a par with Mao and Stalin.

That's right. The 'middle ground' in politics now is actually a corporate-friendly, 'low tax' (actually just low income tax and corporation tax, other taxes, especially fixed rate ones that disadvantage the less well off tend to rise) 'free' market ideology which is sometimes mitigated by social conscience (Liberals, New Labour) but still actively undermines the post-'45 settlement that gave us the NHS, decent state pensions, unemployment insurance and the like.

We shouldn't forget that it was Blairite policy to privatise us and that the Lib Dems and Conservatives were enthusiastic for it too.

However it's true that we get the governments that we deserve . . .

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1