not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

This strike vote is about more than Royal Mail

16 Oct 2019, 07:58

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article ... royal-mail

A NINETY-SEVEN per cent vote for strike action by Royal Mail workers against attacks on pay, pensions and conditions agreed only last year is an emphatic warning to CEO Rico Back to back off.

A turnout of 76 per cent sweeps Tory strike ballot thresholds aside like straw. Since giving notice of its intention to ballot for a strike, the Communication Workers Union has shown how effective trade union organisation can overcome the repressive hurdles placed before our movement by a government keen to make strikes impossible.

It has combined relentless workplace-level agitation by reps with a sharp comms operation to mobilise massive depot gate meetings.

That operation has kicked into gear to ensure news and images of these meetings have spread round the workforce like wildfire, allowing staff to realise their strength in numbers.

From intensive phone-banking that ensured tens of thousands of CWU members were called directly, to a squad being sent to the shores of Lake Zurich to project the union’s message onto Back’s luxury lakeside pad, this was a campaign that pulled out all the stops.

There are reasons why we all have a stake in Royal Mail workers winning this battle.

Back’s plan to hive off Royal Mail’s parcels delivery wing Parcelforce as a separate limited company is, as CWU leader Dave Ward has warned, a form of asset-stripping.

The rise in online shopping and increase in parcel traffic have partly offset the long-term decline in letter-posting caused by changing communication habits as email and instant messaging become the norm.

A rationally planned and wholly public postal network could adapt for this, but Royal Mail has already been handicapped by undercutting from companies not bound by the universal service obligation — the requirement for same-price delivery to any part of the UK that underpins Royal Mail’s nature as a public service.

Creaming off the most profitable parts of services to allow private “investors” to make a killing while running down the rest of the operation is a tried and tested technique that has allowed corporate parasites to grow fat off our health and transport systems.

Attempts to split Parcelforce and to transfer its workers using the Tupe regulations are clearly a bid to evade the commitments made by Royal Mail to the workforce under the Four Pillars Agreement in 2018.

The agreement was noteworthy not just for its protection of pay and pensions but for its recognition that technological change ought to result in a shorter working week — a principle the CWU has been influential in pushing throughout the movement, where it is now TUC and Labour Party policy.

Ward is correct to hammer home the message that our whole economic set-up is not designed to deliver a future worth living in.

CEOs’ astronomical pay cheques — typical pay has soared from 20 times to 120 times the average over 30 years — do not reflect any value they add to the companies they lord over.

Back, who was lured to Royal Mail with a £6 million golden handshake from its own GLS subsidiary, a Dutch-based private parcel delivery firm notorious for provoking strikes by its super-exploited European workforce, is typical of a breed of corporate execs who maximise short-term shareholder profit by extracting as much as possible before discarding their companies and workforces.

But technological change will not remove the need for universal, affordable deliveries. Royal Mail's existing network, a committed workforce and trusted identity are national assets that could be deployed to address the slow-motion death of communities.

Royal Mail’s management refuses to innovate or imagine a different future because it has been captured by an elite that’s doing very well out of a failing status quo.

This isn’t just a strike for postal workers. It’s a strike against a corporate culture of managed decline and for a more productive, more rational and more sustainable future.

16 Oct 2019, 18:52

Discussing this situation with Non-Royal Mail Friends I find it very frustrating to see the ammount of Ignorance in this country amongst the Working Men & Women. It's not hard to understand as some of the Posties in my own DO seem to know bugger all about the Big Picture, provided it doesn't Rock their own little world. :arrrghhh

I find it even more infuriating as a lot of my Friends have only ever worked in Public Sector jobs. Now Retired early with Good Pensions (some of which were even Non-Contrubutory :shock: ) they keep spouting out the Old Cliches about The Unions being too strong, and ruining British Industries. :crazy: God knows what it'll take to wake up the British Public to what's going on in their own Country! :hmmmm

16 Oct 2019, 21:28

Dorset Plodder wrote:Discussing this situation with Non-Royal Mail Friends I find it very frustrating to see the ammount of Ignorance in this country amongst the Working Men & Women. It's not hard to understand as some of the Posties in my own DO seem to know bugger all about the Big Picture, provided it doesn't Rock their own little world. :arrrghhh

I find it even more infuriating as a lot of my Friends have only ever worked in Public Sector jobs. Now Retired early with Good Pensions (some of which were even Non-Contrubutory :shock: ) they keep spouting out the Old Cliches about The Unions being too strong, and ruining British Industries. :crazy: God knows what it'll take to wake up the British Public to what's going on in their own Country! :hmmmm

:pray :pray :pray THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU...solidarity is strength...the panic is ongoing now as the management get 1% and £1000 bonus from UNITE (on the same day as the cwu ballot result!). Buying 'em 'onboard'. sold out for a few pieces of silver...UNITE you are dogshit on my shoe :coolr

16 Oct 2019, 22:45

As well as being with Angard I work one day a week at another parcel firm, was chatting to some of the staff there about the strike last week, the general sentiment was ‘why, they’ve got it good’. Tried to explain that while conditions at RM are better than most places RM’s pay and conditions are what we should expect across the board in this industry, that RM staff rightly don’t want the business eroded to the point where it becomes just another company riddled with zero hours, casual labour, exploiting platform capitalism to the max, selling out what’s profitable and leaving the rest of it to rot, that workers in other firms should be organising to demand more from their own employers, not turning a blind eye to fellow workers in their industry fighting a race to the bottom because those workers might earn a bit more. But it was like I was speaking French, they couldn’t see why they should care. Unfortunately I think the days when that sort of understanding and solidarity would be shown are gone, at least for now.

17 Oct 2019, 09:50

26l34 wrote:.... was chatting to some of the staff there about the strike last week, the general sentiment was ‘why, they’ve got it good’. Tried to explain that while conditions at RM are better than most places RM’s pay and conditions are what we should expect across the board in this industry....... that workers in other firms should be organising to demand more from their own employers.

I do believe that the CWU were trying to talk to these kind of Couriers and encourage them to join the CWU. Although I haven't heard anything for a while. Perhaps the CWU could provide us Posties with Flyers that we could give out to these guys, perhaps explaining a few facts and encouraging them to phone the CWU? :hmmmm

I agree we should all be in this fight together, and it would stop us being undercut by unscrupulous Businesses. I personally don't have a problem with these Couriers, they're trying to earn a crust. Sometimes I even give them directions to a difficult address. :cuppa

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1