not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE



Communication why you should vote yes

16 Sep 2019, 16:08

CWU Dispute Update

Dear Colleague

Ballot for Industrial Action
From 24th September 2019 you will be receiving an industrial action ballot paper asking you to vote yes for industrial action.

This communication is designed to provide you
with the reasons why there is no other choice but
to fight to protect your terms and conditions and to vote yes.

What is the dispute about?
The new Chief Executive, Rico Back, has clearly
decided that the way forward for Royal Mail is to
have a cheaper more flexible workforce.

This is why Royal Mail, under Rico Back’s leadership, has developed a strategy which is designed to marginalise the CWU in order to create a cheaper more flexible employment model.

What is Royal Mail’s strategy?
• Royal Mail want to review the legal guarantees which the CWU secured when Royal Mail was privatised. This means they want to review, and possibly change, the legal guarantees which stopped Royal Mail from outsourcing, franchising, breaking up the company, creating a two-tier workforce as well as stopping Royal Mail from recruiting zero-hour contracts.

• Royal Mail have also chosen to set up a separate profit and loss Parcelforce company which will require all Parcelforce staff to be TUPE over to the new company. If they get away with this then they could do the same with processing, distribution, collections, delivery, logistics,
RDCs or International. It is important that members understand TUPE only protects terms and conditions for a year.

• Royal Mail want to separate larger parcels and stop them being processed in 37 mail centres and RDCs and 1,000 delivery offices.

• Royal Mail want to deliver the larger parcels in circa 300 LAT units. They would be delivered later in the day, up to 19:00. The plan Royal Mail want is that one walk in every six would become the late driver and the remaining five walks would absorb the duty which has moved to the late parcel driver.

• Royal Mail want to use PDA actuals to resource and also as a revision tool even though they know it does not give a true reflection of an OPG’s duty.

• Additionally, Royal Mail want to introduce a system called resource scheduler which produces different duty sets for an office depending on traffic variations and linked to PDA’s actual. This is a complete game changer.

• Royal Mail want to introduce automated hours data capture (automated signing in and out) and link it to what you are paid.

• Royal Mail want to cut 20,000 jobs.

• Royal Mail are not saying they will support the continuation of the USO (universal service obligation) when Ofcom reviews it next year. This possibly means the USO being cut to a five day service, and resulting in the loss of 20,000 jobs.

• Royal Mail are refusing to honour the commitment to a further hour off the working week in October. This refusal also stops part timers from achieving a 2.6% increase in pay. Instead Royal Mail want unrealistic budgeting savings.

• Royal Mail’s unacceptable management actions are creating flash points in too many offices in the UK. It is essential we have a resolution to poor culture in the workplace.
• Royal Mail want 30-minute flexibility 6 days per week on start and finish times.

So what happens next?
• Royal Mail and the CWU are due to attempt to resolve these fundamental differences via external mediation later this month.
• All CWU members in Royal Mail/Parcelforce will be balloted for industrial action from 24 September 2019
and the close of the ballot will be 15 October 2019.

What do I need to do as a member?
• As a CWU member it is vital that you cast your vote in the industrial action ballot.

• The Conservative Government in 2017 introduced new anti-trade union employment which stipulates that an industrial action ballot has to achieve at least 50% or over for it to be valid. This is why it is so important you vote in this industrial action ballot.

Why should I support the CWU?
The CWU have over many years not only defended members terms and conditions but also won significant new benefits for the members.

These benefits include:
Basic pensionable pay
London Weighting pay ranges
RRIS payments
Paid holidays
Paid meal reliefs
Shift allowances which are pensionable
5 day or less working
Sick pay
Christmas bonus

All of the above is because previous union
members have taken industrial action to achieve.

The CWU members have also stopped over many
years Royal Mail’s proposals on:
Monthly pay
Reducing sick leave
Cutting shift allowances
Introducing delivery duties from 09:00 in the
morning to 17:00 in the late afternoon
Introducing team working
Removing seniority
Removing MTSF

Only by voting yes will the CWU be in a strong
position to defend members terms and conditions.

Unless we get a massive yes vote then Royal Mail
will attack our hard-fought terms and conditions.

Vote Yes


Rise Up

Defend Your Future




Use Your Vote

Communication why you should vote yes

16 Sep 2019, 17:45

Why don't PDA actuals give a true reflection of an opgs work? I thought they did which is why they are good if used correctly to weed out all the short walks.

Communication why you should vote yes

16 Sep 2019, 18:03

rambo1 wrote:Why don't PDA actuals give a true reflection of an opgs work? I thought they did which is why they are good if used correctly to weed out all the short walks.



Yeah, I wouldn't mind the walk thats over 30 miles away from our parent office. It means I only have to do an hour of outdoor work and the rest of that time is spent driving to and from the location. :thumbup

Communication why you should vote yes

16 Sep 2019, 18:04

rambo1 wrote:Why don't PDA actuals give a true reflection of an opgs work? I thought they did which is why they are good if used correctly to weed out all the short walks.

The PDA actuals don't monitor indoor work or whether opgs have started before their start time or not bothered taking breaks or used the mandatory equipment or have been doorstepping parcels etc.

Communication why you should vote yes

16 Sep 2019, 18:21

If you want to fight for your job, pay, benefits etc.vote yes. If you don't want to fight vote yes also, as a strong yes vote will make industrial action less likely as it did in our last dispute.

Communication why you should vote yes

16 Sep 2019, 20:36

rambo1 wrote:Why don't PDA actuals give a true reflection of an opgs work? I thought they did which is why they are good if used correctly to weed out all the short walks.

PDA actuals do not record the whole duty time or accurately show how long the whole job takes to complete. All they do is show what time you finish which is RMs sole fetish and interest. What we need is an unquestionable and accurate means of recording how long it takes each day to complete the job. Then we can all get paid for all the work we do. As far as I know the CWU is preventing this happening. Removing unpaid work from RM should be seen as a good thing to happen.
I agree the fuss over engine idling and the 'yellow dot' are a lack of trust in us but an electronic method of showing how long the whole job takes to complete can only be a good thing?

Communication why you should vote yes

17 Sep 2019, 06:44

Celgar wrote:
rambo1 wrote:Why don't PDA actuals give a true reflection of an opgs work? I thought they did which is why they are good if used correctly to weed out all the short walks.

PDA actuals do not record the whole duty time or accurately show how long the whole job takes to complete. All they do is show what time you finish which is RMs sole fetish and interest. What we need is an unquestionable and accurate means of recording how long it takes each day to complete the job. Then we can all get paid for all the work we do. As far as I know the CWU is preventing this happening. Removing unpaid work from RM should be seen as a good thing to happen.
I agree the fuss over engine idling and the 'yellow dot' are a lack of trust in us but an electronic method of showing how long the whole job takes to complete can only be a good thing?

Well said,I totally agree for what they're using the PDAs for they might as well not bother,all they're doing is looking at the finish time,I'm certain the PDAs could be used properly judging by the amount of "map my walk/run" type of fitness tracking apps available.
At our place we've just had a minor tweak of a couple of walks that were genuinely too long but unbelievably also a couple who dawdle on purpose on their easy walks and come back late every day got some taken off as well making them even easier, so much for the red dot thing theirs must look like a dose of measles !

Communication why you should vote yes

17 Sep 2019, 13:58

P13 wrote:The PDA actuals don't monitor indoor work or whether opgs have started before their start time or not bothered taking breaks or used the mandatory equipment or have been doorstepping parcels etc.


That's called a manager doing the job they're paid to do and a lot have failed to do since van share came in and using trolley's showed that certain duties were too long and others were just taking the piss. Until RM get all of their own management in line and working as they should no amount of data or whizz bang monitoring will give them the long term savings that are possible.

Communication why you should vote yes

17 Sep 2019, 16:10

Martin Walsh wrote:CWU Dispute Update

Dear Colleague

Ballot for Industrial Action
From 24th September 2019 you will be receiving an industrial action ballot paper asking you to vote yes for industrial action.

This communication is designed to provide you
with the reasons why there is no other choice but
to fight to protect your terms and conditions and to vote yes.

What is the dispute about?
The new Chief Executive, Rico Back, has clearly
decided that the way forward for Royal Mail is to
have a cheaper more flexible workforce.

This is why Royal Mail, under Rico Back’s leadership, has developed a strategy which is designed to marginalise the CWU in order to create a cheaper more flexible employment model.

What is Royal Mail’s strategy?
• Royal Mail want to review the legal guarantees which the CWU secured when Royal Mail was privatised. This means they want to review, and possibly change, the legal guarantees which stopped Royal Mail from outsourcing, franchising, breaking up the company, creating a two-tier workforce as well as stopping Royal Mail from recruiting zero-hour contracts.

• Royal Mail have also chosen to set up a separate profit and loss Parcelforce company which will require all Parcelforce staff to be TUPE over to the new company. If they get away with this then they could do the same with processing, distribution, collections, delivery, logistics,
RDCs or International. It is important that members understand TUPE only protects terms and conditions for a year.

• Royal Mail want to separate larger parcels and stop them being processed in 37 mail centres and RDCs and 1,000 delivery offices.

• Royal Mail want to deliver the larger parcels in circa 300 LAT units. They would be delivered later in the day, up to 19:00. The plan Royal Mail want is that one walk in every six would become the late driver and the remaining five walks would absorb the duty which has moved to the late parcel driver.

• Royal Mail want to use PDA actuals to resource and also as a revision tool even though they know it does not give a true reflection of an OPG’s duty.

• Additionally, Royal Mail want to introduce a system called resource scheduler which produces different duty sets for an office depending on traffic variations and linked to PDA’s actual. This is a complete game changer.

• Royal Mail want to introduce automated hours data capture (automated signing in and out) and link it to what you are paid.

• Royal Mail want to cut 20,000 jobs.

• Royal Mail are not saying they will support the continuation of the USO (universal service obligation) when Ofcom reviews it next year. This possibly means the USO being cut to a five day service, and resulting in the loss of 20,000 jobs.

• Royal Mail are refusing to honour the commitment to a further hour off the working week in October. This refusal also stops part timers from achieving a 2.6% increase in pay. Instead Royal Mail want unrealistic budgeting savings.

• Royal Mail’s unacceptable management actions are creating flash points in too many offices in the UK. It is essential we have a resolution to poor culture in the workplace.
• Royal Mail want 30-minute flexibility 6 days per week on start and finish times.

So what happens next?
• Royal Mail and the CWU are due to attempt to resolve these fundamental differences via external mediation later this month.
• All CWU members in Royal Mail/Parcelforce will be balloted for industrial action from 24 September 2019
and the close of the ballot will be 15 October 2019.

What do I need to do as a member?
• As a CWU member it is vital that you cast your vote in the industrial action ballot.

• The Conservative Government in 2017 introduced new anti-trade union employment which stipulates that an industrial action ballot has to achieve at least 50% or over for it to be valid. This is why it is so important you vote in this industrial action ballot.

Why should I support the CWU?
The CWU have over many years not only defended members terms and conditions but also won significant new benefits for the members.

These benefits include:
Basic pensionable pay
London Weighting pay ranges
RRIS payments
Paid holidays
Paid meal reliefs
Shift allowances which are pensionable
5 day or less working
Sick pay
Christmas bonus

All of the above is because previous union
members have taken industrial action to achieve.

The CWU members have also stopped over many
years Royal Mail’s proposals on:
Monthly pay
Reducing sick leave
Cutting shift allowances
Introducing delivery duties from 09:00 in the
morning to 17:00 in the late afternoon
Introducing team working
Removing seniority
Removing MTSF

Only by voting yes will the CWU be in a strong
position to defend members terms and conditions.

Unless we get a massive yes vote then Royal Mail
will attack our hard-fought terms and conditions.

Vote Yes


Rise Up

Defend Your Future




Use Your Vote


Where are you getting all this from? How do you know in such detail what Royal Mails plans are?

Communication why you should vote yes

17 Sep 2019, 16:20

He's a big union guy in London!

Communication why you should vote yes

17 Sep 2019, 17:47

RobertT wrote:He's a big union guy in London!


https://www.facebook.com/martinwalshcwu/

Communication why you should vote yes

17 Sep 2019, 18:10

I wouldn't call him big, sure he's not exactly at his fighting weight but who is at his advanced years. :left:

Communication why you should vote yes

17 Sep 2019, 19:05

They might want Mon-fri,with Saturday being a shorter SA day for everyone just parcels and specials.
Also laspe jobs on our tills,would this be less then 20,000 jobs?.

Communication why you should vote yes

17 Sep 2019, 19:43

Rico Back better believe we're up for a fight. Our office isn't even that militant and we're all at our wits end with the way this company is currently run let alone how they want to run it! Very ready to send a strong message.

Serious question though. To win this fight we will need the backing of the general public. Fundamental changes to the service is as much a political issue as it is a business one. Royal Mail used to belong to all of us and was sold off on the cheap with certain guarantees this wouldn't happen. The general public deserve better than this. First it will be 5 days a week, then 4, then 3 and then what?

Who will be delivering the small packets everyday? The one to two sackfuls of them a day we get.
How will those customers feel that those small packets will not be delivered 6 days a week?
Talk of Tuesday delivery being removed. Will all that mail then be expected to be delivered with Wednesdays mail? Wednesday already being a busy day.
If delivery goes to every other day how will D2Ds be delivered as well as all the mail from the off days? Every delivery day the mail bags will be HUGE. Too heavy for even an LTC some days!
Collapsing one in six and absorbing? Even taking the larger than shoebox packets from us will not deliver the efficiency for this to be possible.
Has there been any material created aimed at the general public?
Are MP's (lets face it, Labour ones) being engaged with?

I feel and in not part helped by our managers that top brass have not a clue what is happening in delivery offices around the country. Managers allowing people to start early, skip breaks, Not use correct health and safety procedures (LTC, van checks etc), Mangers doing OPG work or having people start early (Throwing off d2d's and mech, IPS etc). Steaming of mail and not reporting the failures! All of which creates an unrealistic picture. Proven that when they go on leave it all goes to s**t. Cover managers will be able to attest to that!

Communication why you should vote yes

17 Sep 2019, 20:09

The problem the union has is that everything they expect us to fight for, we've already won.

This dispute is about getting an agreement to abide by the previous agreement.

The problem with that is even if we do win an agreement to abide by the previous agreement so that we can keep what we've already won, how do we guarantee they'll abide by that agreement?

Communication why you should vote yes

17 Sep 2019, 20:43

RM are dead set on these changes and have publicised their biggest idea - the new parcel strategy - all over the place. As Ren Hoek pointed out above possibly most of these new ideas will not actually work or will increase rather than decrease their costs and provide a decline in quality and performance. It actually makes trying to change our business name to Consignia a reasonable idea when it was actually total lunacy. I can see Rico Back going out with a bigger bang than Hiroshima.

Communication why you should vote yes

18 Sep 2019, 09:07

When all's said and done very little ever works properly in this company because managers and staff alike have failed to do the job correctly and made so much that's wrong look like it's working for decades. Those at the very top either know this and just turn a blind eye or they haven't got a clue how badly things are running and working at the coal face. The union should shoulder some of the blame for not sorting the culture issues out a long time ago. All well and good telling people to put in complaints but I know from conversations with local reps it's those reps above at branch or division that have been the ones falling short of their responsibilities to staff.

Massive failings on both sides and as usual it's the average Joe that suffers.

Communication why you should vote yes

19 Sep 2019, 19:56

Ren Hoëk wrote:........

Serious question though. To win this fight we will need the backing of the general public. Fundamental changes to the service is as much a political issue as it is a business one. Royal Mail used to belong to all of us and was sold off on the cheap with certain guarantees this wouldn't happen. The general public deserve better than this. First it will be 5 days a week, then 4, then 3 and then what?

..............


RH - agree with you there, but the general public know nothing about it amongst the s**t storm our politicians are creating.

Also the public demographic that would probably want to keep the 6 day a week delivery are the older generation who won't have
any idea how to respond to any consultation that OFCOM might put out about a change in the USO.

The demographic that would respond (or won't respond because they're in favour/or aren't bothered by a reduction in the USO)
are the generation who order the parcels over t'interweb and get all their bills online........

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 1