not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Is not striking going to work?

12 Sep 2019, 16:21

Its been made clear RM will attempt to break agreements, what would stop them coming after everything else we currently have without us saying no and standing our ground? Pay rate, holidays, paid breaks, sick pay - are any of those in very real danger of being removed or reduced to legal minimums with a company thats looking to drastically cut costs?

12 Sep 2019, 16:24

Postie45 wrote:Its been made clear RM will attempt to break agreements, what would stop them coming after everything else we currently have without us saying no and standing our ground? Pay rate, holidays, paid breaks, sick pay - are any of those in very real danger of being removed or reduced to legal minimums with a company thats looking to drastically cut costs?

Everything is on the table, there is profit in all that you mentioned and they will stop at nothing.

13 Sep 2019, 09:18

On the subject of whether we end up striking or not, I've never understood the unions lack of enthusiasm for a complete overtime ban.
The whole business runs on OT, surely that is our main strength in a dispute.

13 Sep 2019, 09:30

Lock the front door & don't let anyone in until start time/lock the front door & don't let anyone back in until finish time.

13 Sep 2019, 12:01

ihatedogs wrote:On the subject of whether we end up striking or not, I've never understood the unions lack of enthusiasm for a complete overtime ban.

So only those that rely on overtime are affected? That’s fair isn’t it! You tell those on 20hr contracts that usually work 40/50 hrs that they can only work 20 whilst you work 38

13 Sep 2019, 13:31

number one wrote:
ihatedogs wrote:On the subject of whether we end up striking or not, I've never understood the unions lack of enthusiasm for a complete overtime ban.

So only those that rely on overtime are affected? That’s fair isn’t it! You tell those on 20hr contracts that usually work 40/50 hrs that they can only work 20 whilst you work 38

Overtime is disappearing. What will those who rely on it do then?
Now would be a good time to coordinate an O/T ban to protect O/T in the future.

13 Sep 2019, 13:47

number one wrote:

What if the whole office worked 20 hrs. That would make it fair and hardly anything would get done :hmmmm

13 Sep 2019, 15:30

How many times do we have to cover the same ground?
You can't monitor overtime, you can't tell if someone is working overtime or if their hours have been changed to suit the business, you can't tell if someone is working their day off or if their day off has been changed or if they need another day off for a hospital appointment next week. You can't tell if they're in early or their hours have been increased... and if you start asking questions you're likely to get done for harassment.

You can't hold together an overtime ban more than a couple of days at national level.

13 Sep 2019, 15:38

twoloops wrote:Lock the front door & don't let anyone in until start time/lock the front door & don't let anyone back in until finish time.

I don't personally see a problem with that scenario but a lot of other posties wouldn't like it.

13 Sep 2019, 15:42

Rumple wrote:
number one wrote:

Have heard ot is dissapearing for last 20 odd years yet rm still depend heavily on it..

13 Sep 2019, 15:46

Simple

Because part timers suffer disproportionately in that case

13 Sep 2019, 15:55

aiden01 wrote:
Rumple wrote:
number one wrote:

Have heard ot is dissapearing for last 20 odd years yet rm still depend heavily on it..

I can definitively say that O/T has been drastically reduced in the last 6-12 months in the office I work at, through staff being pressured into doing more and more absorb.

13 Sep 2019, 16:32

Rumple wrote:
number one wrote:

On the flip side of that the people who came into the business on 20 hour contracts surely shouldn't have expected their hours to be made up with non guaranteed overtime? They would have known the hours before they applied. Whatever has happened that they need more money since they signed a 20 hour contract is on their own back and they shouldn't rely on non stop overtime.

No one in our office has been made up for 2 years despite full timers leaving and yet overtime is through the roof and I keep telling the other part timers I work with they are their own worst enemy for as long as they keep working the overtime they will never get made up to full time because it benefits the business not to make them full time. They haven't not got to work any over time again just perhaps not work any for a month to show the business how much s**t it would be in without them.
Last edited by smok3y666 on 13 Sep 2019, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

13 Sep 2019, 17:23

It's a divided work force, just how RM want it, the only fair way to organise a strike is around a complete shutdown for everyone for that period. Part of the eventual agreement should be ALL employees on a 35 hour week as in 4 Pillars. The differences in contracts within the same office is mind boggling sometimes, all doing similar work. The business could run perfectly well on this working week for everyone, the company have got away with this adversarial system for too long.

13 Sep 2019, 18:11

may not appear popular but i agree with smok3y666
i was 30hrs for years and did work overtime and days off but i always cut my cloth to suit my 30hr wage
when you take any job you look at the basic pay
i could argue that some p't staff here have been on higher wages than f't this summer period, plenty got asked in daily to start earlier with me getting virtually nothing indoor for 3 months, coupled with working days off which i never do, they are on a decent scratch
i'm not too fussed, take it or leave it, it upset a few though
you also can argue that f't will lose more pay than p't but that's petty, we all must back each other

14 Sep 2019, 03:43

world class male wrote:may not appear popular but i agree with smok3y666
i was 30hrs for years and did work overtime and days off but i always cut my cloth to suit my 30hr wage
when you take any job you look at the basic pay
i could argue that some p't staff here have been on higher wages than f't this summer period, plenty got asked in daily to start earlier with me getting virtually nothing indoor for 3 months, coupled with working days off which i never do, they are on a decent scratch
i'm not too fussed, take it or leave it, it upset a few though
you also can argue that f't will lose more pay than p't but that's petty, we all must back each other

Yes for there is more to lose already today someone on this site was refused ED basically going over your time If said manager said that to me he better get his walking boots on! But this is not an individual case you all know away some guy at the top has his snout in the trough and it gets worse for all of us he has invested his whole future in turning us all over. This guy has an empire in Europe leaving Europe will not help but we can defeat this man for that is all he is one man one individual but a tough one at that we call upon the unity of all of you and we can make a difference for all our futures!

14 Sep 2019, 12:27

number one wrote:

Using that logic one could argue whether its fair that FTs lose more money when we strike.

14 Sep 2019, 18:03

ihatedogs wrote:
number one wrote:

Using that logic one could argue whether its fair that FTs lose more money when we strike.

Strikes don't benefit anyone in the short term we need to look where we came form ie in 1970 7 day weeks to now 5 day weeks we need an objective and that is the four pillars why they cannot abide by an agreement only 2 years ago and we must defend this agreement!

14 Sep 2019, 20:31

Getting 20 hrs pay is better than no pay that's why I think an overtime ban will be most supported, how many people can afford no money for a couple of weeks, the bill's will keep on mounting.
On another point do general public know anything about a strike, if I didn't work for RM I wouldn't know about it or what it was for. The union need to let outside people know whats going on.

14 Sep 2019, 21:17

grchpo wrote:Getting 20 hrs pay is better than no pay that's why I think an overtime ban will be most supported, how many people can afford no money for a couple of weeks, the bill's will keep on mounting.
On another point do general public know anything about a strike, if I didn't work for RM I wouldn't know about it or what it was for. The union need to let outside people know whats going on.

It was on the news here is a link as always it is about pay but not this time the boss will not honour the last agreement https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49441049

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2