not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

National Ballot - Part-timers just don't care

05 Sep 2019, 16:50

Part-timer here. Came in half an hour early today for our CWU Gate Meeting, arranged specifically for a time at which part-timers could attend. Unfortunately, I was unaware of the fact that the meeting had been re-scheduled for next week!

I arrived at my DO at the same time as one of my part-time colleagues, who reacted as though I was speaking Martian when I asked if she was attending the Gate Meeting. Clearly uninterested when I attempted to explain the purpose of the meeting, she went inside to start work. A few minutes later, another of my PT colleagues turned up and I asked if he was there for the meeting. A look of bewilderment on his face, he replied "You're not going to THAT, are you?!". I said "Yes, aren't you?". His response? "F**k that!". He then also went into the DO to start work.

I wonder if this sense of apathy is typical of the attitude of part-timers throughout the organisation. And why on earth are they routinely turning up to start work half an hour before the beginning of their shift? Only today I heard from another PT reserve that they had been chastised by management for refusing to drive their own vehicle to another DO when sent there at short notice and for cutting off when unable to complete a walk with which they were completely unfamiliar.

It seems that a lot of part-timers are giving management the idea that they can do whatever they want to their staff. Does anyone else get that impression?

05 Sep 2019, 16:56

PTers in my office do not care about the ballet either, as long as they can come in early (unpaid) and finish by 1 they're happy.

05 Sep 2019, 16:58

FirstPost wrote:PTers in my office do not care about the ballet either, as long as they can come in early (unpaid) and finish by 1 they're happy.

It is completely the opposite here.
While the full timers went out for a curry, all the part time staff went to watch Swan Lake.

05 Sep 2019, 17:25

Hmm, smacks of Cambridge Analytica this. I'm a part timer and i am 100% behind the CWU on this issue. All posties regardless of contract need to stick together here otherwise the future does not bear thinking about.

05 Sep 2019, 17:51

grumpazoid wrote:It seems that a lot of part-timers are giving management the idea that they can do whatever they want to their staff. Does anyone else get that impression?

I don't know of any Part-Timers coming in early in my office. Though I know many Full-timers start an hour early for free.

05 Sep 2019, 17:55

Our office had two gate meetings with the CWU rep, one for the full timers & one for part timers, which I found quite strange?
I was under the impression the union was stronger together?

05 Sep 2019, 18:01

clashcityrocker wrote:
FirstPost wrote:PTers in my office do not care about the ballet either, as long as they can come in early (unpaid) and finish by 1 they're happy.

While the full timers went out for a curry, all the part time staff went to watch Swan Lake.

Brilliant. Just brilliant. :Applause

05 Sep 2019, 18:19

twoloops wrote:Our office had two gate meetings with the CWU rep, one for the full timers & one for part timers, which I found quite strange?
I was under the impression the union was stronger together?

Our DO had a gate meeting at 0615, so that people could attend before starting work. In recognition of the fact that any part-timers who attended would be left waiting for two hours for their shift to start, a second meeting was scheduled for 0800.

05 Sep 2019, 18:24

Same here :thumbup

05 Sep 2019, 18:57

I'm a part timer, I think for alot of us this isnt a forever job, more of a stopgap, I like being a postman but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I got laid off, I will do this job for as long as it works for me, if changes get made I will decide if I still want the job.
Having said that I will vote yes in support of the union and my colleagues, if it goes to a strike I will enjoy the time off and not be anywhere near the picket line.

05 Sep 2019, 19:08

Walking boots wrote:I'm a part timer, I think for alot of us this isnt a forever job, more of a stopgap, I like being a postman but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I got laid off, I will do this job for as long as it works for me, if changes get made I will decide if I still want the job.
Having said that I will vote yes in support of the union and my colleagues, if it goes to a strike I will enjoy the time off and not be anywhere near the picket line.

Funnily enough I was having this conversation with my P&L partner yesterday. I get the feeling that most people who have come into the business in roughly the last 5 or so years don’t really see RM as a long term job. Unlike longer serving FT who (even though many won’t admit it) are probably in for the long haul the PT see it more as a stop gap job. This obviously suits RM as the one one thing they detest is long serving staff - they want a high turnover of people where the employee stays for maybe a year or two at most. As has been mentioned in other comments, under these circumstances most recent recruits who will be PT are not going to feel the same anger towards RM as they don’t have such a long term investment in the company.

05 Sep 2019, 19:26

crimson king wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:

Brilliant. Just brilliant. :Applause

:Very Happy

05 Sep 2019, 20:07

I wonder if this sense of apathy is typical of the attitude of part-timers throughout the organisation

Well you need wonder no more because the answer is no.

05 Sep 2019, 20:11

Gasman11 wrote:Hmm, smacks of Cambridge Analytica this. I'm a part timer and i am 100% behind the CWU on this issue. All posties regardless of contract need to stick together here otherwise the future does not bear thinking about.

Well said

05 Sep 2019, 22:03

PTer here & do care but probably wouldnt come early for any meeting as I struggle to get to work in time. I just put a x where i'm told to and let the details be sorted by union.

This has been stopgap job for me for nearly 15 years. Maybe the next 15 too.

05 Sep 2019, 22:36

I'm a PTer and I will support the union and my FT work collages when the ballot comes. I've only been in the job 4 months and I enjoy it and the work hours suit me, but what I have seen in the short time I've worked for RM is that management like to take liberties with PTers and have bullied, lied and withheld information to myself and other PTers to achieve their own ends. Never have I seen such blatant abuse to staff, it’s a shame as the job is quite enjoyable… :no no

06 Sep 2019, 00:29

Jamesfr3man wrote:I'm a PTer and I will support the union and my FT work collages when the ballot comes. I've only been in the job 4 months and I enjoy it and the work hours suit me, but what I have seen in the short time I've worked for RM is that management like to take liberties with PTers and have bullied, lied and withheld information to myself and other PTers to achieve their own ends. Never have I seen such blatant abuse to staff, it’s a shame as the job is quite enjoyable… :no no

Agree. It really has become an "us" "them" and "them" scenario. And union really has to take some of blame.
A part-timer starts nowadays and all they have to go on is manager lies. They wont have start times, breaks, overtime, union or cutting off explained. Most full-timers will avoid working with them for as long as possible. They'll mostly work with other part-timers and when they do work with a full-timer they're very often treated as some sort of burden. The only time they even see their full-time colleague for more than a minute is in WTL where all they get is moaning and people rushing to get out. The only people that have asked me to start early are full-timers, because they don't want to wait on us, which I refuse.
I still don't know the names of quite a few of the full-timers in my office because I've never worked with them.
If it wasn't for this website I wouldn't even know about potential strikes or reasons why.
We don't get invited to any social events and get bugger all at Christmas. Usually left with walks no-one wants or papped off to other office or MC.
Most people at RM I consider friends are Part-time like me and I don't see it changing anytime soon. Don't get me wrong, most full-timers are sound but I personally don't feel any solidarity with them. Mainly because they are treated different by management.
Maybe we should think about forming our own union.

06 Sep 2019, 07:01

Newbie001 wrote:A part-timer starts nowadays and all they have to go on is manager lies. They wont have start times, breaks, overtime, union or cutting off explained.

Most full-timers will avoid working with them for as long as possible. They'll mostly work with other part-timers and when they do work with a full-timer they're very often treated as some sort of burden.

This is true for me too. I wasn't told any details about breaks, overtime, union, cutting off......I feel management remain silent as they just hope to get more out of me than they should.

I understand full-timers seeing part-timers as a potential burden. I think if I was full-time and I was being put with a part-timer who was new, then I'd worry about how slow they'd be. That said....they can cut off. I find it's 50:50 as to whether a full-timer feels it's a burden working with a part-timer. I come in sometimes and I'm put with a full-timer who is ready for me, they have the frame sorted and I just bag up, we go out and have a very relaxed time and finish on time. Whereas others, I come in and they are not prepped and I have got to prep for 30 minutes to an hour and they are stressing, they get in a huff if you make a mistake which takes sub 2 minutes to rectify..... then they typically end up making a mistake which costs us 5 minutes and I say nothing.

Aren't rounds supposed to be prepped by the time the Part-Timer gets in?...... if so - then these full-timers that complain you are too slow out on the walk who didn't have your round prepped when you came in....they are as much to blame for being behind on the delivery.

06 Sep 2019, 09:41

norris9 wrote:
Newbie001 wrote:A part-timer starts nowadays and all they have to go on is manager lies. They wont have start times, breaks, overtime, union or cutting off explained.

Most full-timers will avoid working with them for as long as possible. They'll mostly work with other part-timers and when they do work with a full-timer they're very often treated as some sort of burden.

This is true for me too. I wasn't told any details about breaks, overtime, union, cutting off......I feel management remain silent as they just hope to get more out of me than they should.

I understand full-timers seeing part-timers as a potential burden. I think if I was full-time and I was being put with a part-timer who was new, then I'd worry about how slow they'd be. That said....they can cut off. I find it's 50:50 as to whether a full-timer feels it's a burden working with a part-timer. I come in sometimes and I'm put with a full-timer who is ready for me, they have the frame sorted and I just bag up, we go out and have a very relaxed time and finish on time. Whereas others, I come in and they are not prepped and I have got to prep for 30 minutes to an hour and they are stressing, they get in a huff if you make a mistake which takes sub 2 minutes to rectify..... then they typically end up making a mistake which costs us 5 minutes and I say nothing.

Aren't rounds supposed to be prepped by the time the Part-Timer gets in?...... if so - then these full-timers that complain you are too slow out on the walk who didn't have your round prepped when you came in....they are as much to blame for being behind on the delivery.

Double prep is a broken system & I doubt it works anywhere in RM. We certainly wouldn't be able to do it in our DO. I guess where it is possible to do the walks must be much shorter than in other offices.
RM expects too much of posties and have no idea how long the job actually takes to complete. The latest advert for 25 hour duties in London is an example of this with all the prep and up to six hours of delivery supposedly being able to fit into a five hour duty slot. What happens if these posties have children to collect from school but read the advert and think this is a job for them?

06 Sep 2019, 10:42

Same old, how sad the RM hierarchy are rubbing their hands ,this is what they wanted a massive division between the ranks, RM and CWU both know eventually the
outcome will be even if it takes a few more years even the amount specified for the RM changes [giant parcel sorting depots etc.] that we will go down the route to zero hours contracts etc. an aging workforce , more and more part time workers creating more and more divide, you don't have to be Einstein to se it coming , rico back knows this , so even if he loses some of what he wants implemented , its only a matter of time ..................

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4