not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE



I'm voting no

14 Sep 2017, 18:57

A bit controversial I know but is anyone else considering voting no, I've worked as a postman for just over a year so I don't feel like I'm very affected by the big issues, I'm in my 40s so I wouldn't expect an amazing pension and very much doubt I will do this job until retirement anyway.
I have no idea what legacy payments are other than to know I don't get them, I wonder if the posties that have been there years went on strike when it was decided new starters would not get them.
The only thing that would possibly affect me is the change in the pipeline but change happens I would have to see how it fits into my life then decide if I could stay with the company.
My worry is how long could strike action drag on for if neither side is willing to back down.
Do any fairly new part time staff feel the same?

I'm voting no

14 Sep 2017, 19:19

Pretty daft post if I must say. You claim not to be effected or care about the Big issues. So why have you bothered to only join RM now in your 40's. Were you attracted by our superior terms and conditions compared to our competitors. Surely with this defeatist and roll over attitude you would be better placed trying your luck at management if you haven't already that is.

I'm voting no

14 Sep 2017, 19:19

It's your call , but a massive yes vote is really the only way to get this resolved, doesn't even mean we will go on strike but a massive yes vote will focus minds of Royal Mail and will work out better for you and every other postie .

I'm voting no

14 Sep 2017, 19:21

Plus I'm always a bit curious when the original poster has a history of 2 posts , I'm sure managers come on for a wind up .

I'm voting no

14 Sep 2017, 19:22

Are you a member of the CWU?

If so please support it, just like you would expect the union to support you in your hour of need! :thumbup

I'm voting no

14 Sep 2017, 19:30

I am a member of the cwu and I appreciate what they have done for our terms and conditions, I will go with the majority but I haven't really heard an argument that is relevant to a part time worker with 1 years service

I'm voting no

14 Sep 2017, 19:37

Walking boots wrote:A bit controversial I know but is anyone else considering voting no, I've worked as a postman for just over a year so I don't feel like I'm very affected by the big issues, I'm in my 40s so I wouldn't expect an amazing pension and very much doubt I will do this job until retirement anyway.
I have no idea what legacy payments are other than to know I don't get them, I wonder if the posties that have been there years went on strike when it was decided new starters would not get them.
The only thing that would possibly affect me is the change in the pipeline but change happens I would have to see how it fits into my life then decide if I could stay with the company.
My worry is how long could strike action drag on for if neither side is willing to back down.
Do any fairly new part time staff feel the same?


everyone is allowed their own take on our situation and respect your views apart from the legacy payments,and no, i don't get any either but it's an agreement that should be kept, most will be gone in a few years anyway due to retirement (or ill health)
but please don't vote either way without thinking long term because this is what it's about, it's usually a rolling wave of strike action from pick up to drop off, no full weeks off so although not ideal losing a day or 2 wages some could be clawed back in overtime or try some extra now if money tight in case.
of course newer staff maybe scared but that's the cards been dealt, you cannot be dismissed for striking even if you don't agree but not wanting to cross a picket line

I'm voting no

14 Sep 2017, 19:38

What about the part timers who joined because the hours suited their lifestyle. Mainly picking kids up from school. This will be out of the question when the pipeline moves back. Family friendly business my bottom. Even full timers will be stuffed. A cheap way to get rid of a large number of staff.

I'm voting no

14 Sep 2017, 19:41

If your working just your contract hours and not being exploited to do more you are in the 1%. Im part time. I have never worked just my contract hours for a single day here in 4 years. Regularly doing full time hours. Im voting yes because i want to be made up to reflect the actual work i do. Thats my reason to vote yes. RM need to stop this part time exploitation.

I'm voting no

14 Sep 2017, 19:50

You are bold to start a thread with such a topic and I commend the administrators for letting you have your say.

If you follow some of my comments, then I understand where you are coming from.

The whole might get very messy and ugly a d long drawn out ,-RM will not back down on operational changes - if they do now, they will still keep coming back to it...

The issue is that folks like you will lose money and what for? There is very little to gain for someone like you. You have arrived at the job when it is already shi**y and you have had other work experiences that has prepared you or hardened you to changes.

Even the pay rise will not benefit part timers because it is pro-rata and not based on average hours worked; other staff also lose out mind as it and scheduled attendance not included.

But RM might cede on money up front but on issues of Pensions and Operational changes including flexibility, modernisation, shift pattern changes, productivity and other changes, we might not win on those.

Hence, it might be time for people to go out for long (with all the negative consequences esp with Xmas coming). The alternative is to recognise that the world is changing and RM is now a private business.

Some will try to belittle you or question your sanity, I will advice those that every vote counts and you have to win the argument and convince that you are not just being selfish...

I'm voting no

14 Sep 2017, 19:53

Dear Walking Boots... You say the union are not doing anything for Part Timers... but this I'm pleased to say is incorrect and not the case...
The CWU are actively fighting your corner and demanding holiday pay for part-time staff that reflects hours worked per week in the real world... and is one of the reasons we are to balloted for Industrial Action :thumbup

I'm voting no

14 Sep 2017, 19:53

Walking boots wrote:I am a member of the cwu and I appreciate what they have done for our terms and conditions, I will go with the majority but I haven't really heard an argument that is relevant to a part time worker with 1 years service


Well you could look at it with the defeatist attitude that if it doesn't suit you you will just jump ship and leave at leave the mess for the other after you've voted no.

But to try and give you an answer to some of your queries then,
The CWU is fighting for a wage in retirement for all (Inc Less than full time staff) by getting everyone on a new DB scheme.

They are asking for a proper pay rise in line with the cost of living rises ( which also enhances Less than full time staff)

They are trying to negotiate a cut in the working week which will further enhance the Less than full time staff's houly rate as they would remain on the same hours but earn more.

They are fighting against the ridiculous changes to the pipeline and later delivery times which could force many staff to consider leaving the job they have been in for many years which again affects Less than full time staff.

They are fighting against the changes to the attendance procedure that will automatically issue you with 1st & 2nd stage warnings regardless of any mitigating circumstances (and change the period of the warning from 6 months back to 12 months) which will again affect all Less than full time staff.

Or of course you can just bury your head in the sand and ignore all this and just say I'm alright jack and if it does totally mess up I'll just leave and to hell with the rest of them...... :oops:

I'm voting no

14 Sep 2017, 20:13

Decky Boy wrote:Dear Walking Boots... You say the union are not doing anything for Part Timers... but this I'm pleased to say is incorrect and not the case...
The CWU are actively fighting your corner and demanding holiday pay for part-time staff that reflects hours worked per week in the real world... and is one of the reasons we are to balloted for Industrial Action :thumbup


i disagree with this, i spent 8/9 years as p/t working more or less f/t most weeks and kept asking management and cwu rep but nothing

I'm voting no

14 Sep 2017, 20:17

chrisj wrote:You are bold to start a thread with such a topic and I commend the administrators for letting you have your say.



if admin did delete this thread due to 99.9% disagreeing then the site should be shut down, nothing abusive or offensive, just someone's thoughts

I'm voting no

14 Sep 2017, 20:52

I am voting YES.

I pay the Union to spend their days understanding the issues which I don't have time for. They look out for me and my colleagues and try to work with our employer to help the company understand what we need and to help us to be more productive employees.
My Union has put a lot of time and effort into ensuring all goes as smoothly as possible, however they have come to a crux which is not going to be resolved adequately. They have called on me to vote YES in my own long term best interest and it is clear that voting NO is against my best interest and the long term viability of the Union.

You have been called to arms and it is appropriate to join with your fellow workers regardless of whether you can see the full layout on the table.

I'm voting no

14 Sep 2017, 20:54

Vote yes, give the union a stronger mandate in the negotiations, possibly averting any strike action.

I'm voting no

14 Sep 2017, 21:25

When you're not doing so well, vote for a better life for yourself. If you are doing quite nicely, vote for a better life for others.

I'm voting no

14 Sep 2017, 21:26

I understand the need for a strong mandate but how many of these brave motormouth will actually go on strike or maintain a strike?

We a few in my office that thinks they are above the rest and always shooting off their mouth but I heard that our current work place coach and senior loudmouth arrogant runner broke the strike the last time. Some even got the manager to change their days off.

Now most of them stand lose not just money but the inability to be home before 1pm on easy round; they go around urging people.

No one should be intimidated into voting one way or the other and certainly the days of intimidating and name calling of strike breakers are behind us. Some might find themselves out of the job with stupid behaviour and calling people s*abs.

I'm voting no

14 Sep 2017, 21:28

panch1989 wrote:If your working just your contract hours and not being exploited to do more you are in the 1%. Im part time. I have never worked just my contract hours for a single day here in 4 years. Regularly doing full time hours. Im voting yes because i want to be made up to reflect the actual work i do. Thats my reason to vote yes. RM need to stop this part time exploitation.


Yes you may be put under pressure to do more hours but you can say no!
You will be very unlikely to be put up to full time as hardly anyone is being put up these days regardless of the unions involvement or not.

I wish you well but if this is your reason for voting yes then I hope you have other reasons too.

I'm voting no

14 Sep 2017, 21:35

tommythreesheds wrote:When you're not doing so well, vote for a better life for yourself. If you are doing quite nicely, vote for a better life for others.

I'm not sure I'm doing well, I'm a part time Postie with no chance of being made full time, I worried about how much money I stand to lose by striking

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 6   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6