not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

What do our contracts say regarding extending delivery

25 Jun 2019, 12:11

Is there anything in our contracts saying ‘we can force you to work past this time’ etc

25 Jun 2019, 12:24

Simple answer is no.

25 Jun 2019, 12:53

Just work your hours any overtime in any job is OPTIONAL !! if your feeling pressured by management then go see your union rep.

25 Jun 2019, 15:34

Has anyone seen the legal case that the PSNI and other Departments in Northern Ireland regarding unscheduled overtime and how it reflects on your Holiday Pay.

EG: your contracted on say 30 hours per week but due to the size of your duty you have to work 37 hours at single time

25 Jun 2019, 15:42

Holiday pay case could affect 'every worker' in NI
19 June 2019 Northern Ireland
Share this with Email Share this with Facebook Share this with Twitter Share this with Whatsapp
Image copyright GETTY IMAGES Cash
Any employee who works overtime - in the public or private sector - could be entitled to backdated holiday pay, a trade union has said.

The Court of Appeal ruled this week that Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) staff were owed money for a shortfall in pay going back 20 years.

Individual payments could be an average of £10,000, totalling about £40m.

Trade union NIPSA said the ruling could go beyond the public sector and affect private sector employees as well.

There are about 208,000 public sector employees in Northern Ireland, the latest official figures show.

PSNI facing £40m holiday pay bill
Antoinette McMillen, the assistant secretary of NIPSA, said: "NIPSA represents workers across Northern Ireland - in education services, in health services, in local government, in non-departmental public bodies and the voluntary sector.

"This case affects all those workers and not just those in the public sector. This case represents every worker in Northern Ireland.

"If you're someone who does overtime or you get allowances, you potentially could have a claim if your employer does not pay you when you go holidays."

Antoinette Millen
Image caption Antoinette McMillen said this case represents "every worker in Northern Ireland"
Stormont's Department of Finance told the BBC's the Nolan Show it was "in early discussions" with unions in the wake of the case.

The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service told the Nolan Show it was "actively considering the issue of overtime and holiday pay".

Image copyright PACEMAKER Police officers
Image caption The Court of Appeal ruled PSNI officers were owed money for a shortfall in pay going back 20 years
Northern Ireland Water, the publicly-owned water and sewerage services company, said holiday pay "has been the subject of substantive discussions" between it and trade unions.

It added it was "taking time to understand" the Court of Appeal decision and the "potential implications for NI Water and its employees".

The public transport provider Translink said it was also reviewing the ruling in the PSNI case.

Presentational grey line
Analysis: John Campbell, BBC News NI economics editor
The court ruled that miscalculations arose because holiday pay had been based on basic working hours, not the actual hours worked, including overtime.

As a result, the PSNI is facing an estimated bill of £40m to settle the claim.

But the implications could be much wider than that.

It could be a significant sum for Stormont budgets, which are under pressure.

Presentational grey line
Solicitor John McShane, who represented officers and civilian workers in the PSNI case, said the law had been clear since a case taken in 2014.

He said the PSNI case was more focused on how far the back pay ruling extended.

Mr McShane said the government introduced legislation for England and Wales in 2014 capping the back pay limit to two years but no equivalent legislation was brought in for Northern Ireland.

He added that the issue "goes to a fundamental situation of protecting workers".

Supreme Court
An employment lawyer at Pinsent Masons said the case confirmed Northern Ireland's divergence from the GB position on the potential liability for holiday pay claims.

Craig Patterson said it is possible Supreme Court judges could approve the NI Court of Appeal decision, in which case employers in Great Britain could also "be exposed to significantly larger claims".

SDLP leader Colum Eastwood described the ruling as "significant" and said he had asked to meet David Sterling, the head of the Northern Ireland Civil Service, to discuss its effect on budgets.

"This matter must be dealt with in a way that meets the needs of public sector workers, respects the ruling of the court and protects budgetary integrity so that public services are not impacted," he added.

25 Jun 2019, 15:52

Royal Mail will tell the uninitiated a pack of lies about what is in their contract. Annex 1 of the Conduct Code explains the protracted and frustrating routine you must follow to work to your finish time and not beyond. Otherwise we would be under enslavement, which was outlawed some time ago I believe. The whole system needs review, too many workers do not wish to go on extended delivery on busy days, but despite having rights do not have the stomach for the bullying/harassment brought down on them by linos. It's cruel to witness.

25 Jun 2019, 16:08

Hi,
I'm out of Royal Mail quite a while and it seems nothing has changed.
I have looked through quite a number of topics and it's still the same issues over the last 20years +.
When are the union going to stop this bullying and harassment once and for all.
In my previous post I have gave you a copy of legislation from the Courts and unfortunately for postie's in England, Scotland and Wales can only go back by 2 years.
For Postie's in Northern Ireland the rebate can be backdated upto 1998 as the Legislation was not adapted into Northern Ireland's assembly.
Get your CWU representative to ask questions regarding this and get the part time Postie's a few pound and slap this onto your local politicians.

26 Jun 2019, 13:31

We have no obligation to work beyond our contracted hours and management have no obligation to allow us to go home before our contracted hours are worked.

26 Jun 2019, 15:11

Acca Dacca wrote:We have no obligation to work beyond our contracted hours and management have no obligation to allow us to go home before our contracted hours are worked.

Exactly work your hours and don't moan if you finish early but will have to stay can't have it both ways

26 Jun 2019, 15:51

jd9442 wrote:Is there anything in our contracts saying ‘we can force you to work past this time’ etc
definitely a big NO but don't come to our office our DOM wont pay the overtime if you do go over, he did exactly the same at his old office, he owes the workforce over 100 hours in unpaid overtime, which I am very sure is against employment law.

26 Jun 2019, 16:31

RoyP wrote:
jd9442 wrote:Is there anything in our contracts saying ‘we can force you to work past this time’ etc
definitely a big NO but don't come to our office our DOM wont pay the overtime if you do go over, he did exactly the same at his old office, he owes the workforce over 100 hours in unpaid overtime, which I am very sure is against employment law.

You don't have to put up with this Roy.

26 Jun 2019, 18:10

Search the Blue Shirts Forum for: "Over running Procedure" this will set out the procedure for informing your Manager you will be finishing at your contracted finish time, without you getting into any trouble :cuppa

26 Jun 2019, 20:45

Election material is usually forced overtime. You have no choice but to go over, unless you are lucky enough to have an easy day, or an easy duty, and you can absorb the extra work into your day.

27 Jun 2019, 04:04

RoyP wrote:

Well you DON'T work overtime then or do anything to help him out. Do the job exactly the way RM themselves say they want it done, the place will go to s**t and he will be forced to pay you overtime, if that's what you want. Either that or use the cut of procedure. Sounds like a complete wank, laughing at his staff while getting his 10% bonus, off the hard work of posties. :evil/mad

27 Jun 2019, 15:56

redneck wrote:Royal Mail will tell the uninitiated a pack of lies about what is in their contract. Annex 1 of the Conduct Code explains the protracted and frustrating routine you must follow to work to your finish time and not beyond. Otherwise we would be under enslavement, which was outlawed some time ago I believe. The whole system needs review, too many workers do not wish to go on extended delivery on busy days, but despite having rights do not have the stomach for the bullying/harassment brought down on them by linos. It's cruel to witness.

Spot on my friend well put,it’s cruel to witness indeed and a culture of fear,some on here have no concept of it,and rant about what we should do etc,a constant battle indeed,maybe worth getting him to do a fairness action plan and pay extra for working extra if they choose to,or it comes back when everyone has gone home ,who delivers it? I certainly am not engaging in lengthy chat on the phone as to why I can’t complete in the time given,part timers who get loaned out never have a problem with overtime to complete if they want it,our boss seems to be intent on saving every penny himself to point score ,etc.and certainly not aware of the we don’t bank hours statement,I’m going to have to have a conversation with him about it,of course it only effects a few in the office and not all the time,so I think me him and union rep need to clear the air,and confirm what’s correct and separate fact from fiction

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2