ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

Post offices warned they could be axed in shake-up

Latest Post Office® news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier

Post offices warned they could be axed in shake-up

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.thisistamworth.co.uk/news/Po ... ticle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

THE axe could fall on all of Tamworth's post offices outside of the town centre, a letter warned sub-postmasters in the town this week.

The Herald has exclusively received a copy of the letter sent to all sub-postmasters in the town, which claims all post offices that make £60,000 or less will be converted to Post Office Locals, with staff asked to take a 75 per cent reduction in salary.

Alternatively, the letter said, postmasters would receive compensation and their office would be closed. One sub-postmaster in Tamworth, who asked not to be named, said: "This is the death of the Post Office service as we know it."

The letter claims that thousands of closures across the country are "inevitable".

According to sources, the town centre office and Wilnecote sub-postoffice would survive, but it could spell the end for offices in Amington, Stonydelph, Glascote, Coton Green, Bolehall, Polesworth and Austrey.

The news has been unwelcome among sub-postmasters in Tamworth that the Herald contacted.

Another unnamed sub-postmaster, said: "Cuts have to be made in the service, we accept that, but this seems to me to be a backdoor way of doing things.

"Most post offices which don't make £60,000 will close, and Tamworth will be left with branches in the town centre and probably in Wilnecote.

"Many of us won't be able to take the big pay cut so we will be compensated, but not as much as the three years' salary we would have got for closing during the cuts made under the previous government."

Another unnamed postmaster said: "The goalposts keep being moved, but as ever, we will stand up for our rights as we have done for the past 30 years.

"Splitting Royal Mail and Post Office Limited makes no sense whatsoever and the emergence of things like Pay-Point has taken away a lot of our business.

"It's all very disconcerting and we're fearing the worst."

Paul Madan, branch secretary for the South East area National Federation of SubPostmasters, (NFSP) confirmed the letter had been sent out as a "warning shot" from the South East and South West regional councils of the NFSP.

However, NFSP general secretary George Thomson said: "The claims within the letter sent to sub-postmasters are without foundation, and in no way represent the views of the NFSP."

The letter claims that the Postal Services Bill is being "bulldozed" through the House of Commons, which will see Post Office Limited separated from Royal Mail.

The Herald contacted the Royal Mail for a comment, but at the time of going to press none had been received
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
I am using an automatic grammar and spelling app, your original post if quoted may be amended by default. No judgement in your use of grammar or spelling is intended or meant.
subbie
POST OFFICE

Re: Post offices warned they could be axed in shake-up

Post by subbie »

George Thomson never speaks to his members so how would he know what his members want?

Subbie
fishtank

Post by fishtank »

subbie wrote:George Thomson never speaks to his members so how would he know what his members want?

Subbie
How does a federation work subbie?
Do you pay this guy to ignore you? :confused
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

Depending on how much they earn,they pay quite handsomely to be ignored...
How much does membership cost?
Full membership
The rate you pay for depends on your Post Office salary. As of 1 June 2009, the two subscription rates for standard NFSP membership are:
Higher rate: £15.93 per month (£191.16 per year) for offices with an annual salary of £8,498.01 or above.
Lower rate: £4.57 per month (£54.84 per year) for offices with an annual salary of £8,498.00 or below.
VERY IMPORTANT AND INFORMATIVE CORONAVIRUS THREAD HERE
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low life c***s they have always been.
fishtank

Post by fishtank »

POSTMAN wrote:Depending on how much they earn,they pay quite handsomely to be ignored...
How much does membership cost?
Full membership
The rate you pay for depends on your Post Office salary. As of 1 June 2009, the two subscription rates for standard NFSP membership are:
Higher rate: £15.93 per month (£191.16 per year) for offices with an annual salary of £8,498.01 or above.
Lower rate: £4.57 per month (£54.84 per year) for offices with an annual salary of £8,498.00 or below.
Well...look on the bright side,at least when they all get made into "locals" they will be paying the lower rate to get ignored.
Every cloud etc..... :whistle
subbie
POST OFFICE

Post by subbie »

That's the bit that puzzles me Fishtank, I do not think that they can represent this new type of PO Local contract. And wouldn't that just suit POL who would be glad to see the end of the NFSP.

Subbie
not me

Post by not me »

WTF is a post office local then?
fishtank

Post by fishtank »

custard wrote:WTF is a post office local then?

I would imagine it's a shop with about 3 square feet of "Post Office" jammed at the back containing 12 stamps,a small pile of A4 envelopes and a subbie/sales assistant..
I might be wrong...there might not even be a subbie/sales assistant...just a bell to ring for service.
Lounge Lizard

Post by Lounge Lizard »

custard wrote:WTF is a post office local then?
A Post Office that offers less than a normal Post Office, but it's a stupid name as all Post Offices are in a locality and so must be local. :shock: