ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE



Post Office urges CWU to withdraw strike ballot

Latest Post Office® news.This is an open forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
TrueBlueTerrier
Posts: 62805
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: Proud to be part of the Union
Contact:

Post Office urges CWU to withdraw strike ballot

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.news.royalmailgroup.com/news ... ce_network" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


The Post Office today said it was disappointed at the CWU’s plans for an industrial action ballot in the 373 Crown Post office branches.

Paula Vennells, the Post Office’s Managing Director, urged the union to withdraw its ballot notification.

She said: "The Crown Post Office network is losing £55 million a year. We regret the fact that the CWU is unwilling to engage in a constructive dialogue about tackling this unsustainable financial position.

"We know having no pay increase is a very difficult message for our staff. The unfortunate reality, however, is that the Crown Post Office network is loss-making. Right across the country, difficult choices are being made by many public and private sector organisations and we are no different.

"Any form of industrial action will only harm our customers and do nothing to resolve the urgent need to reverse the losses in the Crown network."

The first half of the current financial year, 2010-11, saw a drop of £28 million in Post Office revenues compared to the same period a year earlier. Without the £150 million annual Government subsidy to support loss-making smaller branches, the Post Office would have recorded an operating loss last financial year. The Government has made clear its funding for the whole network going forward depends on a clear plan to eliminate the losses in the Crown network.

Ends

Issued by Post Office Ltd:
100 Victoria Embankment
London
EC4Y 0HQ
http://www.postoffice.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Notes to Editors
The 373 Crown office branches comprises 3% of the Post Office network of around 11,800 branches. The remaining 97% of branches are run by subpostmasters and agents and are not part of the ballot planned by the CWU. In the event of any industrial action, these privately run branches will remain open.




http://www.postoffice.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
I am using an automatic grammar and spelling app, your original post if quoted may be amended by default. No judgement in your use of grammar or spelling is intended or meant.
BELIAL
Posts: 6623
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Location: Somewhere in the Milky Way

Re: Post Office urges CWU to withdraw strike ballot

Post by BELIAL »

"Any form of industrial action will only harm our customers and do nothing to resolve the urgent need to reverse the losses in the Crown network."
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Since when has that been an objective? :shock:
User avatar
DGP1
Posts: 15552
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Post Office urges CWU to withdraw strike ballot

Post by DGP1 »

As someone once said - strikes are the fault of bad management not the staff, nobody wants to go on strike but the overly aggressive managers we now have and the complete failure in communication will always lead itself to strikes. :sad:
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
Post Reply