ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Post Office scandal: Jo Hamilton calls for compensation at Brit Awards

Latest Post Office® news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post Office scandal: Jo Hamilton calls for compensation at Brit Awards

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h ... e-68463237

A former sub-postmistress affected by the Horizon IT scandal presented singer-songwriter Raye with her first trophy at the Brit Awards.

Jo Hamilton was falsely accused of stealing £36,000 from a Post Office in South Warnborough, Hampshire.

On stage at the ceremony, she called for compensation to be sped up for those wrongfully prosecuted.

She was joined by the actress who played her in ITV's Mr Bates vs The Post Office, Monica Dolan.

The hit drama has been credited with creating mass public interest in the scandal.

Mrs Hamilton, 66, told the crowd at the O2 Arena: "I want to thank everyone in the country for the love and the support they have given the postmasters.

"Please can you keep on supporting us because, despite what the government says, they're not paying the postmasters."

The mother-of-two was prosecuted for a shortfall of £36,000 in 2006 and was persuaded to plead guilty to a charge of false accounting.

She took up a cleaning job, had to mortgage her house twice, borrowed money from friends, and received donations from the local community to pay back the funds.

Her conviction was overturned in 2021 when it was discovered more than 700 sub-postmasters and postmistresses were prosecuted because of a faulty accounting system.

Mrs Hamilton presented the Song of the Year award to Raye for Escapism, a track which also featured the artist 070 Shake.

Raye made history on the night, winning six prizes and beating Blur, Adele and Harry Styles' record four wins at a single ceremony.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."