not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Christmas casual registration event

24 Sep 2019, 09:07

Hi, I'm new to the forum and couldn't find anything on this subject so sorry if this has been asked before or if I've posted in the wrong place.

I applied for a Christmas casuals position and was offered to attend a registration event, I was very excited but saw the time slots were during the only day of the week I could not attend, so I declined as the email said you would still be considered for any other registration events.
I was wondering if anyone knew how frequent these registration events are? I would really like this position but now I'm worried I've missed my only chance of attending.

24 Sep 2019, 14:33

With Registration Events, it pays to go to the earliest (FIRST) time slot & be one of the first through the door! IF there is another event, it will be "waiting list"

24 Sep 2019, 15:10

Britvic55 wrote:With Registration Events, it pays to go to the earliest (FIRST) time slot & be one of the first through the door! IF there is another event, it will be "waiting list"

Oh no! Does this mean it's over for me? :sad:

Just to clarify by "waiting list", this means that if I get invited to another event I won't be offered a job but put on a waiting list if someone else quits for example?

30 Sep 2019, 17:45

Profez wrote:
Britvic55 wrote:With Registration Events, it pays to go to the earliest (FIRST) time slot & be one of the first through the door! IF there is another event, it will be "waiting list"

Oh no! Does this mean it's over for me? :sad:

Just to clarify by "waiting list", this means that if I get invited to another event I won't be offered a job but put on a waiting list if someone else quits for example?

This happened to me the first year applying for Christmas Casual work. There was one document (Birth Certificate) they wouldn't accept and I had to wait to get a new full one. I went back to a second registration event and was put on a waiting list. I received a phone call asking if I wanted to start but it was only for a couple of days very close to Christmas.
As has been said it pays to keep regular checks on emails and book your interview on the earliest time/ day.
I had my Event interview today and have been offered work. I think the interviews go on for a few days.

Bit disappointed by the choice of shifts and start times this year at my Mailing Centre. I would have liked to have started as early as possible but could not get my preferred shift "Nights" and paid hours up to 32 hours minimum until the last week in November.
Last year I started on November 5th with reduced hours the first few weeks but much better after that. The shifts on offer usually cause some confusion. This year lots of "Various shifts" options but hours up to 18 hours max earlier in November but I expect you would not be able to switch to preferred shifts and better hours 3 weeks later. No one could explain that.
It's a gamble what you opt for and, as far as night go, be prepared for numerous starting times from 20:00 to lots of 02:30. Last year this resulted in lots of people dropping out due to public transport problems and getting lifts.
Many will think they will work exactly what the hours say on the acceptance letter. It's not until you start to work your contract you find out the level of flexibility the Mail Centres now require.

01 Oct 2019, 17:19

Ive applied for a Xmas casual position as well but have not heard anything as of yet. Does that mean that i have not been selected or is it still ongoing depending on which town you applied for?

03 Oct 2019, 16:50

Hi my Son attended The Casual registration event Today .The only shift Available 4hrs on the night shift with a Start time of 0200 til 6am working At Manchester Mail Centre.20hrs in total per week
Not great if you have no means of Transport .
You usually get an email asking to to attend for Registration 1 week before.

07 Oct 2019, 04:08

Ive just done my paper work, for Casual this year, but I do have a concern. My drivers license is with the DVLA to have some points added to it, obviously im not going to get it back in time, so it might not happen for me this year.

Not keen on these part times hours im reading about.

11 Oct 2019, 15:11

o.k i received this email yesterday 'I am pleased to invite you to attend a registration event for the waiting list for Christmas Casuals - X Mail Centre -

The position to which you applied has now been filled. The Registration Event you are being invited to is for Waiting List positions only. Please be aware that there is a high likelihood that you will be asked to work if you are placed on a Waiting List.'

There were only 4 time slots available on the same day so i signed up for the earliest one and will see how things go.

Naturally i have a few questions which are:-

1. Is it still casual dress or do you have to dress up smart?
2. It states that there will be a 15 minute interview. Is this the same sort of interview that you have to do when you apply for a full time position?
3. On my second email when i confirmed the time i will be attending it says refer to the first email for what documentation to bring but the first one does not say anything so what documents do i need?
4. What are the reasons that you wouldnt be put on a waiting list? I mean is there still a chance that you wont make the waiting list and once you do make the list are you guaranteed a job albeit at a different location at different times from the one you selected?

Any replies asap would be appreciated.

Thanks

14 Oct 2019, 08:48

Can anybody help with this please as the event takes place tomorrow, thanks.

14 Oct 2019, 09:50

got a DBS in the post today, do I need to send it off to the Royal Mail?

30 Oct 2019, 22:32

wamdue wrote:got a DBS in the post today, do I need to send it off to the Royal Mail?

No. That's your copy, Royal Mail gets one too

01 Nov 2019, 11:11

I got my DBS letters but still waiting on the Welcome letter, which according to the email confirms correct bank details & other info you need to start.

Do they usually come later or should I ring them up if not come by a certain point?

03 Nov 2019, 14:43

Well I went to the event and everything seemed to go through fine. I have since singed into my account and can see that there is an update on the application saying 'missing information.' Does anyone know how to find out what the missing information is or who to contact to find out what it is that is missing because right now i am at a complete loss because i saw 2 people that day and both ticked off my application as complete.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1