not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Horror stories

02 Mar 2019, 22:49

Hi,
Been on the wait list for a month or so and was over the moon to get 'the call' last week to say I'm in,
Just going through security checks etc at the moment and then expect to get formal offer in the coming weeks. Have been floating around the site since late last year and have read some horror stories of B&H towards both newbies and long standing posties.
Just hoping some of you can put my mind at ease before I burn my bridges and leave the job I've been doing for the last 7 years please. AM I just a lamb to the slaughter ?
Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Horror stories

03 Mar 2019, 09:20

I'd say it's pot luck
I'm due to start tomorrow, I've heard good and bad
Some come in and absolutely love it, some hate it and leave asap

Depends on yourself, The newbies that start and then leave asap seem to say the same thing "for a big company they are unorganized bla bla bla", but to me I don't care about that

Only way to find out is to actually do it yourself, I'm taking a gamble too, left a secure office job but I just want to be out and about
I certainly don't want to sit here wondering so I'm just going for it, if its good, then fantastic, if it's bad, then so be it and i'll get another job somewhere, even something like Ocado delivery driver or similar, they're always advertising

Horror stories

03 Mar 2019, 11:57

Thanks, I'm gonna go for it and do my absolute best, I think I just got the wobbles a bit, leaving a secure job (pharmacy) and switching to something totally different. I'm leaving the job I have because the company I work for is being systematically wrecked by the massive American chain that moved in and started throwing their weight around 3 years ago. Sick of waking up every morning thinking 'oh no not again' and seeing ppl going home in tears. So I guess I've got nothing to lose. Looking forward to being out & about, getting to grips with the job, I've just seen so much B&H at current place I didn't want to jump out of the frying pan ..blah blah !
Only one way to find out I guess !
Good luck btw !

Horror stories

03 Mar 2019, 12:01

gimba wrote:I'd say it's pot luck
I'm due to start tomorrow, I've heard good and bad
Some come in and absolutely love it, some hate it and leave asap

Depends on yourself, The newbies that start and then leave asap seem to say the same thing "for a big company they are unorganized bla bla bla", but to me I don't care about that

Only way to find out is to actually do it yourself, I'm taking a gamble too, left a secure office job but I just want to be out and about
I certainly don't want to sit here wondering so I'm just going for it, if its good, then fantastic, if it's bad, then so be it and i'll get another job somewhere, even something like Ocado delivery driver or similar, they're always advertising

I have my induction tomorrow, and also took a gamble leaving a secure job.
I agree with Gimba though, the only way to do it is to just give it a go and see how it goes.

I figure life's too short for what ifs

Horror stories

03 Mar 2019, 13:23

Thanks ! Let me know how you both get on please !

Horror stories

03 Mar 2019, 17:27

I’m 2 weeks in. Had the same worries as you but so far so good. No issues as of yet. Main bit of advise I would give anyone who gets as far as the security checks is get walking. I started doing 5 miles a day for 5 days a week from when I got to that stage and built it up to around 10 miles a day. Best thing I could have done as it’s not been a huge shock to my body doing anywhere between 8 and 14 miles every day. Lots of people who started at the same time as me across various DOs have already left because they can’t take the physical side of it.

Fingers crossed you get a decent Manager/DO :thumbup

Horror stories

03 Mar 2019, 18:28

I'd better start walking, I start in 2 weeks time. I have been doing a short work out in the mornings to prepare my knees.
I'm not all that worried about possible bullying because like gimba said, it depends on the person.
Thanks misstmac for the advice, best of luck for tomorrow Foxy85 and gimba and congratulations and good luck Cliffy12, I'm sure that you'll be fine.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1