ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Do you need driving experience?

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
rupyred05

Post by rupyred05 »

Hello, Just want to ask some questions when applying for a postman/postwoman driving role...

Do Royal Mail want to know how many driving experience you have on the interview? I am a Learner Driver, hoping to pass my driving test this year, and wanted to try a driving job. :hmmmm

Should I just at least get myself a few months real driving with my car before getting ready to become a postman/woman? :hmmmm

pex

Post by pex »

I would apply for a job as soon as you have passed your test, if you pass then you are good to go.. You will have to produce your full driving licence at the interview and it will be checked by recruitment with the DVLA to see if you have been banned before or have points on your licence. The recruitment process can take months so do not wait around. Good luck.
rupyred05

Post by rupyred05 »

I have passed my test 2 days ago! :nana

I don't know, I am just a new driver, can they take me on just recently passed? I need motorway driving as experience as well. :Sick

Do they train you for recently pass drivers? Like show you basic routes to deliver for the start?
I really want to do a driving job in a few months, can anyone share your insight for sombody like me interested to work as a postman/postwoman.
pex

Post by pex »

Whilst you need a licence to get the job, if your local office is small you will most likely be pushing a trolley not driving.
If the office is large then it is usual for a walk/delivery to be done by van paired up with another postman/women. As they will have the
greater knowledge regarding the route, they will do normally do the driving, deliver less letters but drive to deliver the larger parcels while you
are finishing your letters. In time when you get used to the walks you may take over the driving.
gimba

Post by gimba »

rupyred05 wrote:I have passed my test 2 days ago! :nana

I don't know, I am just a new driver, can they take me on just recently passed? I need motorway driving as experience as well. :Sick

Do they train you for recently pass drivers? Like show you basic routes to deliver for the start?
I really want to do a driving job in a few months, can anyone share your insight for sombody like me interested to work as a postman/postwoman.

if you become a postman you wont be driving for them for a few months minimum anyway
Youll be sharing a van with someone until you pass royal mails "exam", even when you do the exam it's very rarely youll be out on your own

and when you are, load google maps and away you go

You passed a driving test because you can drive, so dont start thinking you need more experience, because you don't, otherwise you wouldn't have passed your test
Donna1234567

Post by Donna1234567 »

Hi I need help I've been a postman for 32 years and never took a driving test.
Didn't need to.
But now I need a internal transfer all the jobs advertised are postman with driving.
I'm still on the old contract but I am worried as I dont drive thx
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Donna1234567 wrote:Hi I need help I've been a postman for 32 years and never took a driving test.
Didn't need to.
But now I need an internal transfer all the jobs advertised are postman with driving.
I'm still on the old contract but I am worried as I don't drive thx
We have had a few [psties who transferred in who can't drive so it is possible, but it would be a lot easier if you can as Royal Mail will think that you are more flexible if they can use you in multiple roles.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
Waqasat40

Re: driver change over

Post by Waqasat40 »

Hi I’m new recruited to Royal Mail for post person with delivery. What is a driver change over?
Jefferson Starfish

Re: driver change over

Post by Jefferson Starfish »

Waqasat40 wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 07:51
Hi I’m new recruited to Royal Mail for post person with delivery. What is a driver change over?
It's an assessment of your driving.
Waqasat40

Re: reapplying after failing probation

Post by Waqasat40 »

Can I reapply to Royal mail after failing my probation period?

If so, after, how much time can I reapply?
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Do you need driving experience?

Post by POSTMAN »

Na you should be fine...

I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Re: reapplying after failing probation

Post by POSTMAN »

Waqasat40 wrote:
30 Nov 2023, 09:38
Can I reapply to Royal mail after failing my probation period?

If so, after, how much time can I reapply?
I think it's 6 months, what happened?
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Waqasat40

Post by Waqasat40 »

I failed my driving assessment twice, both assessments were with the same instructor, which to me is unfair.
world class male

Post by world class male »

whilst failing the change over by the same instructor may seem unfair, ours has the same 1 or 2 guys doing it, did they explain their reason?
scoobydo79

Post by scoobydo79 »

Waqasat40 wrote:
01 Dec 2023, 15:15
I failed my driving assessment twice, both assessments were with the same instructor, which to me is unfair.
What did you fail on each time?