ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Unsuccessful Application

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
Bugsy

Unsuccessful Application

Post by Bugsy »

Hello All,

Well after the 5th time of trying i finally got an interview last week for postman with driving. The interview went very well and the interviewer as an added extra(brought ALL documents with me including passport) photocopied my driving licence and i thought i was in with a good chance of getting the job. Well yesterday i got the folloiwng email:-

'We are sorry to inform you that on this occasion your application has not been successful.

You are eligible to reapply for a similar vacancy with Royal Mail Group in six months' time.'

I have a couple of questions to ask if anybody knows the answers. First of all why do they bother photocopying your drivers licence if they know they are not going to give you the job(they must have some idea) and secondly why do you have to wait 6 months to apply for similar jobs? The amount of jobs that would come up during that period that you are not allowed to apply for would be very fustrating.

shimano

Unsuccessful Application

Post by shimano »

same thing happened to me in November and I asked the same question on here as you and got no reply :confused
itinerant

Unsuccessful Application

Post by itinerant »

When I had my interview (last august) I was told there were 3 possible outcomes:

1. you are successful and are offered the job

2. you successfully passed the interview but someone else scored higher and so you are on a "waiting list" and can apply for other vacancies (within 3 months) using an email link RM HR sends you that means you are tagged as already having been successfully interviewed

3. you were unsuccessful in the interview

In my case I was successful in interview but someone else got the job ahead of me. I received a phone call 2 weeks later offering me a job in the same office as another vacancy had come up. After I started work my manager explained that they score all candidates based on their interview question responses and even though I passed, someone else had a higher score for the initial job I interviewed and so I was placed on waiting list.

Someone else may know more than me but I assume that maybe you did not reach the required "score" at your interview to pass that stage and so have to wait 6 months before you can try again (companies often put a time limit before you can reapply if they do not think you are currently suitable). Not sure why your license was photocopied, maybe the managers take copies of all documents for all people being interviewed irrespective of how the interview went.

Keep persevering though! I applied a few times over a 3 year period before i got in.
Bugsy

Unsuccessful Application

Post by Bugsy »

Thank you for your reply mike. The thing is i have been persevering for the last 2 years and this was the first time i got an interview which i thought went very well. When i finally got the email for the interview i thought 2 things. Number one.....at last and number two.....dont mess this up.

Most interviews i have given over the past 2 years have ranged from 'okay' to 'not good' but i rated this one as 'very well'.' My fear when i do interviews is that i sit there bumbling like an idiot whilst i try and think of answers but having looked up other people's experiences i was prepared for all the questions and gave all the answers after 1 or 2 seconds.

Looking back now maybe there were a couple of things where i should have read the signs that i was not going to be offered the job. First of all the person who was supposed to be conducting the interview met with me briefly and then said he had to go and asked someone else to do the interview. It wasnt so much the fact that he had to shoot off but more in the way of the look he gave me, he was definitely expecting someone younger. Also the interview itself did not last that long and i was not asked anywhere near the amount of questions some of the other people on here were asked. So whilst the interview itself went well it didnt last long. They are always telling us down at the job centre to get some feedback to find out why you wasnt offered the job but there is nobody to contact.

Also tried getting a job with RM via Angard Staffing. Back in October I was invited down for an interview and then 20 minutes before it was due i got a call from my brother when i was 5 minutes away from the address to say the person doing the security checks wasnt coming in so the appointment was cancelled. I got the train vack home and rang Angard to ask what happens now and was told someone would contact me in a weeks time to arrange another interview. A week later they contacted me to say the vacancy had been filled and they would be in touch but i have not heard anything since.

I was looking forward to working with the Royal Mail until the day i retire but i dont think its going to happen so i wont be applying for anymore jobs with them. I cant apply for the next 6 months anyway so its time to move on. Good luck to all the people on here who are still looking to get a job with the RM. Do keep trying as you will get an interview eventually.
NeilM

Unsuccessful Application

Post by NeilM »

Hi there.
I recently applied for a mail sorting job and was sent an email informing me I was unsuccessful. There was no indication included as to when it may be possible to reapply for similar roles (as in post #1 of this thread).
I did notice that in my application I was asked if I had applied for any position with Royal Mail during the last month and am wondering if that is an indication of the allowed period between applications after an unsuccessful application attempt?

Any help with this would be much appreciated.
Metalman

Unsuccessful Application

Post by Metalman »

I also recently applied for a mail sorter job with the Royal Mail, having worked there as a mail sorter through Angard Staffing just before Christmas. This is part of the reply I received:

"Unfortunately on this particular occasion your application has not been successful.
We appreciate that this may be disappointing for you however it may be that your skills are more suited to one of our other roles."

A peculiar response considering the skills I have are exactly what they are looking for ! Am I now being penalised for having registered with Angard?
NeilM

Unsuccessful Application

Post by NeilM »

Metalman wrote:I also recently applied for a mail sorter job with the Royal Mail, having worked there as a mail sorter through Angard Staffing just before Christmas. This is part of the reply I received:

"Unfortunately on this particular occasion your application has not been successful.
We appreciate that this may be disappointing for you however it may be that your skills are more suited to one of our other roles."

A peculiar response considering the skills I have are exactly what they are looking for ! Am I now being penalised for having registered with Angard?
Same response for me after starting as a Christmas casual and now doing three hours a day under Angard.
Did you have to do the 'aptitude' test?
Metalman

Unsuccessful Application

Post by Metalman »

Yes I did.
South_London_Postie

Unsuccessful Application

Post by South_London_Postie »

Sounds like you guys are failing the aptitude test.

Do a couple of applications from a phantom email to get to grips on how to complete the tests accurately as quickly as possible.

Good luck.
NeilM

Unsuccessful Application

Post by NeilM »

South_London_Postie wrote:Sounds like you guys are failing the aptitude test.

Do a couple of applications from a phantom email to get to grips on how to complete the tests accurately as quickly as possible.

Good luck.
Thanks for that good advice. Much appreciated.
After an aptitude fail can similar roles be applied for straight away or is it a one chance only type of thing?
South_London_Postie

Unsuccessful Application

Post by South_London_Postie »

Yep, you can re apply straight away.
NeilM

Unsuccessful Application

Post by NeilM »

South_London_Postie wrote:Yep, you can re apply straight away.
Nice one. :Very Happy
Bugsy

Unsuccessful Application

Post by Bugsy »

Just as i was starting to forget about this a couple of things have happened this past week which has brought me back to the boards.

First of all the Postman job in the town that i applied for has re-appeared and so they are once again looking for new Postman/Postwomen with driving. I cannot tell you how disheartening it is to see a job you applied for and actually thought confident of getting because you gave one of your best interviews and answered every single question almost immediately appear again a month later. I can even remember the interviewer saying to me that one of the questions i asked was an intelligent question and even he did not know the answer and that he would 'get back to me on that one,' another reason why i thought i had been successful. I am going to put this down to an age factor especially as my new Postwoman of should i say Postgirl looks about 17 years old.
My advisor at the job centre however keeps asking me to get some feedback regarding the interview as its the only job where i havent managed to get feedback this year. She even said i should go down to the depot and ask for the person who interviewed me and ask but i dont feel right about doing that. Does anybody here have an email address for the Royal Mail's Human Resources department or Recruitment Team? Basically somebody i could contact so i can put this to bed. Thank you.
NeilM

Unsuccessful Application

Post by NeilM »

Bugsy wrote:Just as i was starting to forget about this a couple of things have happened this past week which has brought me back to the boards.

First of all the Postman job in the town that i applied for has re-appeared and so they are once again looking for new Postman/Postwomen with driving. I cannot tell you how disheartening it is to see a job you applied for and actually thought confident of getting because you gave one of your best interviews and answered every single question almost immediately appear again a month later. I can even remember the interviewer saying to me that one of the questions i asked was an intelligent question and even he did not know the answer and that he would 'get back to me on that one,' another reason why i thought i had been successful. I am going to put this down to an age factor especially as my new Postwoman of should i say Postgirl looks about 17 years old.
My advisor at the job centre however keeps asking me to get some feedback regarding the interview as its the only job where i havent managed to get feedback this year. She even said i should go down to the depot and ask for the person who interviewed me and ask but i dont feel right about doing that. Does anybody here have an email address for the Royal Mail's Human Resources department or Recruitment Team? Basically somebody i could contact so i can put this to bed. Thank you.
Try myapplication@royalmail.com
Bugsy

Unsuccessful Application

Post by Bugsy »

Thanks