not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Can't even get an interview!

04 Feb 2016, 23:38

Hi,

Applied for 5 postman positions in my local area and got the "we regret to inform you" email for everyone.

I'm a 39 year old physically fit person with a clean driving license and no criminal record. Although only high school educated I have a 20 year work experience working in the building trade and engineering offshore. I'd love to work in my local community as a postman so any advice on how I could even get to the interview stage would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

05 Feb 2016, 11:43

Apart from the Building trade part, your profile is me to a T when I started 12 years ago. However, the recruitment process is different up to the interview stage. If you submit your CV then get someone to look at it and, if possible, include stuff RM are looking for/

Which is basically, a team worker than can work on their own, someone who can work to a tight schedule, someone who can work both on their own initiative and under the instruction of another, and who can also train people. A people person who doesn't mind working alone etc. At the interview stage, they asked me for instance where I took orders when I gave orders when I worked as part of a team and an individual. the also asked the usual what did I think were my weaknesses and strength and to give them an example of something I was proud of doing.

All pretty standard stuff to be honest, but as with most job applications, sometimes tweaking (but not exaggerating) your CV will help.

05 Feb 2016, 12:09

Hi,
All I can suggest is keep applying. I've just got my first interview after applying 4 or 5 times. Tbh I'm not exactly sure at what stage and actual person looks at your application, I presume a lot are filtered out based on the tests. I feel your frustration as they don't say whether you've been rejected based on the test or purely due to volume of applicants, etc.
Cheers

06 Feb 2016, 13:59

Thanks for both of your replies. It is very helpful and makes me feel less useless in not being successful in getting an interview.

It is very frustrating not being given any feedback on to how your application went and where it failed to meet there criteria!! I really do feel I'd make a good RM employee and if I could just get to the interview stage I could prove it to them.

I'll certainly tweak my cv for my next attempt.

After you few failed attempts at getting an interview did you change anything to then become successful?? If you did I'd be interested as to what you did do different.

One last thing - do RM give preference to the long term unemployed? I have been unemployed for nearly a year but I'm yet to sign on. Just wondered if it made a difference??

Thanks again.

06 Feb 2016, 19:27

I didn't really change much, but a few of my answers on the personality test may have been slightly different. I actually thought about the answers less this time and ended up with an interview but as I said before I'm really not sure whether it's anything to do with that or not. I was always confident that the number checking test was fine but who knows without feedback? I'm currently in a job so not sure on the unemployed factor.

09 Feb 2016, 06:49

When I first applied I got the auto-reject email straight away saying I didn't meet the criteria. I applied using a different email address and had the same response. I then used another email addresss and I got through. Bizarre I know and my details were exactly the same on every application. My advice would be to just keep trying. I've been in the job for 6 months now and love it.

25 Feb 2016, 16:42

Just keep on applying mate. It took me 11 applications to get to the interview stage. Started May last year and it's the best job I've ever had. Currently have my own duty and van and work alone. It can be hard at times and exhausting on heavier days but once your done your done, and there's no reason to even think about your job when you've finished!

09 Jun 2016, 14:29

Just a quick update. I did as you suggested and kept applying which has paid off as I got an offer and I start a week next Monday. Happy days!!!

09 Jun 2016, 17:00

There has been a noticeable change in recruitment strategy at my office. Previous years good mix of ages/people & characters. Last 12 months dozen early 20's without an inch of fat on them. Decent lads but all very, very quiet , two already asking about deputy managers course :nervous

22 Jan 2018, 11:40

Hi.

I have been applying for about 5 years and had about 30 rejections. No Luck.

13 Nov 2018, 12:51

I know this thread was a while ago but I am also very frustrated. Like you, I am physically fit, intelligent and would be perfect for a postman's role. I have applied 6 times now and never been invited for an interview. I have wanted to be a postman since I was a teenager but life circumstances didn't fit but now they do. It's so frustrating that I cannot get feedback on where I am going wrong. There is no contact number for recruitment. They are hiding instead of helping potential brilliant staff. They say the personality test doesn't impact on your application, then why give it! I know I am doing ok with the speed accuracy test because I deal with figures, speed and accuracy in my current job and I've kept that for 10 years!! If anyone could help, that would be great. I've even spoken to my local depot and all I get is 'gotta apply on line luv'. Gone are the days where you prove yourself as a person. Now you are judged on paper.

04 Dec 2018, 18:53

Evie wrote:I know this thread was a while ago but I am also very frustrated. Like you, I am physically fit, intelligent and would be perfect for a postman's role. I have applied 6 times now and never been invited for an interview. I have wanted to be a postman since I was a teenager but life circumstances didn't fit but now they do. It's so frustrating that I cannot get feedback on where I am going wrong. There is no contact number for recruitment. They are hiding instead of helping potential brilliant staff. They say the personality test doesn't impact on your application, then why give it! I know I am doing ok with the speed accuracy test because I deal with figures, speed and accuracy in my current job and I've kept that for 10 years!! If anyone could help, that would be great. I've even spoken to my local depot and all I get is 'gotta apply on line luv'. Gone are the days where you prove yourself as a person. Now you are judged on paper.

I persona;;y reckon its just luck of the draw, they probably get xx amount apply, and randomly accept x amount
I applied for about 12, all different stages, and got asked for interview 3 times, unfortunately had to decline the 1st, 2nd time on the waiting list, and now 3rd time passed and going through security checks

04 Nov 2019, 16:27

I left Royal mail about 18 months ago to care for my father who had terminal cancer,i have since applied to various local delivery offices for a position without success,to date i have applied to nearly 100 jobs advertised,done the tests and not even made it to a interview,i initially worked for royal mail for nearly 10 years with a exemplory record,no sick,no stage warnings,all i can put it down to is my age 58.

06 Nov 2019, 17:36

rob smith wrote:I left Royal mail about 18 months ago to care for my father who had terminal cancer,i have since applied to various local delivery offices for a position without success,to date i have applied to nearly 100 jobs advertised,done the tests and not even made it to a interview,i initially worked for royal mail for nearly 10 years with a exemplory record,no sick,no stage warnings,all i can put it down to is my age 58.

it's probably because you're white man royal mail rather take on someone from the middle east or from the third world because diversity our strength apparently :thumbup

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1