ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postie jobs that are walking ONLY

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
Wells_91

Postie jobs that are walking ONLY

Post by Wells_91 »

Do these Postie jobs still exist? I don't drive and i may be mistaken, but i swear there used to be walking only jobs. Looking at vacancies it's all "Postperson with Driving" though and nothing else.

R5001

Re: Postie jobs that are walking ONLY

Post by R5001 »

No, not really. They don't want to employ anyone who can't drive now. The walkers you can see are usually old guard, injured / rehab or can drive, just their partner is doing it for their pairing.
Wells_91

Post by Wells_91 »

R5001 wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 01:33
No, not really. They don't want to employ anyone who can't drive now. The walkers you can see are usually old guard, injured / rehab or can drive, just their partner is doing it for their pairing.
Ahh alright. So even if you're paired with someone that's doing the driving, you still need to be able to drive yourself? They take it in turns to drive?
richietns

Post by richietns »

Wells_91 wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 00:01
Do these Postie jobs still exist? I don't drive and i may be mistaken, but i swear there used to be walking only jobs. Looking at vacancies it's all "Postperson with Driving" though and nothing else.
They want drivers because why employ non drivers to deliver more increasing parcels,back in the day it was more letter orientated and you would get your bags dropped off at drop boxes a mile from the office,you would do your round by yourself and go home,now its two to a van it just makes sense for both people to drive,I do fear for the non drivers at present.
R5001

Post by R5001 »

Wells_91 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 11:54
R5001 wrote:
Ahh alright. So even if you're paired with someone that's doing the driving, you still need to be able to drive yourself? They take it in turns to drive?
You likely won't take it in turns unless you and your partners agree to that, but they want drivers so they can mix and match easier. If 5 drivers go off sick, that's 5 pairings dead in the water if the "walkers" cannot drive. If everyone can drive (Or nearly everyone) they can shuffle staff about to get the job at least partly done.
Wells_91

Post by Wells_91 »

richietns wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 13:02
Wells_91 wrote:
They want drivers because why employ non drivers to deliver more increasing parcels,back in the day it was more letter orientated and you would get your bags dropped off at drop boxes a mile from the office,you would do your round by yourself and go home,now its two to a van it just makes sense for both people to drive,I do fear for the non drivers at present.
R5001 wrote:
Thank you both! I wonder if Parcelforce do walking only...will have to see about that.
P13

Post by P13 »

Wells_91 wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 13:09
richietns wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 13:02
Wells_91 wrote:
R5001 wrote:
Thank you both! I wonder if Parcelforce do walking only...will have to see about that.
Parcelforce only deliver parcels , they don't do any walking
Rve83ndxd

Post by Rve83ndxd »

Wells_91 wrote:
We have recently taking on non-drivers. They have all been ex-Agency. Might been an option.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Rve83ndxd wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 17:09
Wells_91 wrote:
We have recently taking on non-drivers. They have all been ex-Agency. Might been an option.
What does it say in their contracts about driving?
Rve83ndxd

Post by Rve83ndxd »

I'm not sure. Probably have a reference to driving but as they don't have a licence it is hard to apply.

It is probably a very local decision. Walkers were needed Christmas time and they were kept on after.
Wells_91

Post by Wells_91 »

Rve83ndxd wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 15:06
I'm not sure. Probably have a reference to driving but as they don't have a licence it is hard to apply.

It is probably a very local decision. Walkers were needed Christmas time and they were kept on after.
Yeah, i've noticed during the Christmas period in my area there's people delivering for Royal Mail, usually without uniform but with the hi vis. I'd always assumed they were Christmas temps, but i've never seen such vacancies. I've worked at a Mail Centre multiple times during Christmas, but never seen any Postie xmas jobs.
R5001

Post by R5001 »

Yes, there is the odd one taken through agency conversion, but that route is kind of try-before-you-buy for RM, they get to know if they got a good walker before they rely on them too much. Even a s**t driver can drive packets about and they would greatly prefer everyone being capable of driving.

I guess forgetting this means I was sort of wrong, but it's not an easy route in and being agency for x time won't mean you get the job at all, so it's not really "available" in the way you can directly apply for it and expect to keep the job.

While I'm sure there are cost issues, I'm unsure why RM doesn't sponsor people to learn to drive, much like with the lorries, tied in to company for x years or you repay x amount per month you leave early etc. It'd be a good thing and I reckon it'd pay itself off if they were smart with limits, like, 20 lessons and 2 tests paid for, must pass in 6 months (you can personally pay for more tests or lessons) or bye bye.
postslippete

Post by postslippete »

R5001 wrote:
26 Feb 2024, 14:23

While I'm sure there are cost issues, I'm unsure why RM doesn't sponsor people to learn to drive, much like with the lorries, tied in to company for x years or you repay x amount per month you leave early etc. It'd be a good thing and I reckon it'd pay itself off if they were smart with limits, like, 20 lessons and 2 tests paid for, must pass in 6 months (you can personally pay for more tests or lessons) or bye bye.

The company don't want to spend money on staff full-stop. Far easier to put up a job application of post person with driving.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.