ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Anyone have problems getting hold of their office manager?

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
Strangethingie

Anyone have problems getting hold of their office manager?

Post by Strangethingie »

To cut a very long story as short as possible .... I started in September and I've had problems from the get go! From getting virtually no training to having to chase up my own uniform to trying to report my concerns with the van I'd been allocated and god know what else!!!

After 7 weeks on the job I ended up in quite a serious RTA with a tractor (tractor driver admitted they were at fault, and my van wasn't the best maintained van in the world) and ended up with a fractured ankle, a head injury and various other injuries. I've been off sick coming up 10 weeks and have bearly heard anything from my manager or anyone at work. Obviously I have had to put sick notes in, but everytime I try contacting my manager he either doesn't answer his mobile, he's never in the office when I ring there no matter what time of day, he never returns my calls when I leave messages. I resorted to emailing him, and if I'm lucky to get a reply it's just 'can you please give me a call' and then I'm back to square 1!

I've been in touch with HR a few times asking if there's someone else I can contact. They just tell me everytime it's a local issue speak to your manger! :arrrghhh

Sorry for the rant but I'm getting to the point where I'm at a complete loss of what to do or who I can speak to other than HR and their scripted answers or my manager who appears to be better at disappearing than hudini!!

BenacreNick

Re: Anyone have problems getting hold of their office manager?

Post by BenacreNick »

Well done for reaching out for advice.

I would start by logging every single attempt at contacting them/him.

If possible, you could make an unannounced visit to your work-place, or (god forbid) write a letter to them/him.

I would also involve your union rep if you have a decent one and keep them up-to-date with your recovery progress.

Alternatively you could bypass them completely and deal with the office book-room/duty-room instead, regarding your recovery and also your anticipated return to work and so on.
TopperGas

Post by TopperGas »

Or just take the time whilst your off looking for a new job as will you really want to work for the same manager when you return to work?

If you weren't to blame what are you doing about seeking compensation for your injuries and other associated losses as it sounds like you will have a sizeable claim where you need good legal advice i,e, not just from the typical ambulance chasers?
Strangethingie

Post by Strangethingie »

BenacreNick wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 16:38
Well done for reaching out for advice.

I would start by logging every single attempt at contacting them/him.

If possible, you could make an unannounced visit to your work-place, or (god forbid) write a letter to them/him.

I would also involve your union rep if you have a decent one and keep them up-to-date with your recovery progress.

Alternatively you could bypass them completely and deal with the office book-room/duty-room instead, regarding your recovery and also your anticipated return to work and so on.

I've made sure I've kept all the call logs everytime I ring, and I've made sure I've got all emails I've sent and received.

I didn't actually think to get intouch with the union to be honest! The union thing is all very new to me!!

I'm just really frustrated with my manger, I shouldn't have to be constantly trying to chase him down!! I might just be that extra bit frustrated as well, because my last 2 previous jobs before starting at Royal Mail I managed staff. So I know the ins and outs and procedures for long-term staff sickness and returning to work and general welfare ect .... There just seems to be no duty of care towards the staff at our office, and the manager seems like he couldn't give a toss!!!

Thank you very much for the advice!! :Very Happy I shall contact my union rep ASAP!!
Strangethingie

Post by Strangethingie »

TopperGas wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 21:24
Or just take the time whilst your off looking for a new job as will you really want to work for the same manager when you return to work?

If you weren't to blame what are you doing about seeking compensation for your injuries and other associated losses as it sounds like you will have a sizeable claim where you need good legal advice i,e, not just from the typical ambulance chasers?
Yeah I've been seriously considering finding a new job to be honest! And if (that's a very big IF) I go back I don't think I'll be back very long!! I'll either be sacked or I'll walk out the way things are at the moment!! Lol

I've had a few bits of advice about making a compensation claim. My sister-in-law works for a solicitor so she's been very helpful, she said under no circumstances go with a no win no fee company!! I've had advice from a friend who's been through something similar as well. Also had some advice from my GP and the hospital to wait a few months before making a claim, so I know what exactly the extent and the impact of my injuries are. So I'm pretty well sorted there!!
Noseatbelt

Post by Noseatbelt »

Similar problem but a different situation.

I left the company and was paid around £500 shy of what I am owed. I've contacted my manager countless times via email, phone and ringing the depo but had zero response. (I finished in October) I've been chasing the money since completing the form online to claim any money back that was paid short but am told its a managers issue they have to resolve it.

https://view.pagetiger.com/rmleaver - is what I have filled in countless times as I was instructed to but nothing has come from it.
BenacreNick

Post by BenacreNick »

Would the small claims court be able to help ? :cuppa
TopperGas

Post by TopperGas »

Strangethingie wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 13:18
TopperGas wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 21:24

Yeah I've been seriously considering finding a new job to be honest! And if (that's a very big IF) I go back I don't think I'll be back very long!! I'll either be sacked or I'll walk out the way things are at the moment!! Lol

I've had a few bits of advice about making a compensation claim. My sister-in-law works for a solicitor so she's been very helpful, she said under no circumstances go with a no win no fee company!! I've had advice from a friend who's been through something similar as well. Also had some advice from my GP and the hospital to wait a few months before making a claim, so I know what exactly the extent and the impact of my injuries are. So I'm pretty well sorted there!!
I wouldn't wait to put in a claim as you need to get liability resolved, and hopefully agreed, whilst you recover from your injuries.