ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

'Your Day off is a Bank Holiday'

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
jonatkins

'Your Day off is a Bank Holiday'

Post by jonatkins »

Hi All

This maybe a stupid question but can you be allocated a bank holiday (such as 25th or 26th Dec) as your day off and then expected to work the other 5 days of next week including Sunday?

I would have thought that as a bank holiday is a paid day off it can't also be your allocated day off? If that's the case then should I be claiming overtime for at least one of the other 5 days (Weds - Sunday)?

Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on this for me :confused

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

R5001

Re: 'Your Day off is a Bank Holiday'

Post by R5001 »

You need to talk to your manager, they should swap your day off, or if that isn't possible, give you a day in lieu, as in, add a day of holiday to you to spend whenever there's is space. The third option is to claim it as overtime, but technically, that should be a last resort, you should get the time, somewhere.
ted_e_bear

Post by ted_e_bear »

It's one of rm's crap management favourite methods of getting as many people in as possible, if you're a reserve they give you bank holidays as your day off knowing full well that when you ask for the day off in lieu that gets added to your leave allocation the answer will be no there's too many already off.

As someone else said you should have the choice to get it paid as overtime instead of a day in lieu.
rogersh
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by rogersh »

From UNION ROOM
LTB 314/23 - Royal Mail - Christmas Arrangements 2023
Post by POSTMAN » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:37 am

https://www.cwu.org/ltb/ltb-314-23-roya ... ents-2023/

3.13 Rest days will apply in line with normal year-round arrangements. Attendances may be varied by local agreement to take account of workload forecasts and service requirements. Where workload requires, (and subject to currently agreed working time limits) people can volunteer in advance to work their normal rest day in return for a day in lieu or the resourcing/remuneration options contained in Section 1. Where a rest day falls on a Bank Holiday (i.e. on 25th, 26th December, 1st January (& 2nd January in Scotland) and it is not operationally sensible to transfer the rest day to another day in the same week, people will receive an additional day holiday (including those working ‘a week off in six’ or other variations on this theme) in the form of a day in lieu or alternatively the excess hours can be taken as normal overtime.
Constance
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Constance »

God I don't miss this BS.
ted_e_bear

Post by ted_e_bear »

Constance wrote:
23 Dec 2023, 23:36
I know it's ridiculous how they actually have systems in place but they get ignored/abused just like the staff.
mwalker88
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by mwalker88 »

ted_e_bear wrote:
24 Dec 2023, 09:28
Constance wrote:
23 Dec 2023, 23:36
I know it's ridiculous how they actually have systems in place but they get ignored/abused just like the staff.
It's intensional.