ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Waiting Game, Is this situation normal ?

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
Varboss

Waiting Game, Is this situation normal ?

Post by Varboss »

Hi all,

I applied for a postman job with driving 2 weeks ago.
Completed the assessments that were emailed to me.

While at work a few days later I recieved a call, It was royal mail.
I was basically asked some questions regarding what I do in my spare time, am I fit etc. After 20 minutes I was told congratulations you have been offered the job subject to pre employment checks. You will recieve emails as soon as the call ends.

I received the emails, 1 was confirming the offer of employment. Then there was another one asking if I could attend the delivery office a few days later. Taking with me ID.

I took my documents that were photocopied and shown around. I also had to read a number plate for my eyesight test. I couldn't believe how quick this all happened.

I then got home to an email to fill out address history and employment history. I also had a medical questionnaire which has all been completed.

Then I recieved a phone call asking me when I can start. I have now been given a date for induction which I do on my laptop and then the next day I start work. This has all been emailed to me.

However I had to put in my notice for my current job. Because I now had this start date. I'm just concerned that my security checks have not cleared yet and if they don't before the start date then what.

I queried this with rm and was told I would be allowed to start but they believe they should be through before this date. I've now seen the job I applied for reposted today and I'm stuck on pre employment checks.

Is this a normal process because I've given up a job and obviously I'm now concerned that there might be a problem somewhere.

Il just add I have already been asked what sizes for uniform and to select what shoes and etc I want. Also to supply a photo for my ID which has also been completed.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

I

R5001

Re: Waiting Game, Is this situation normal ?

Post by R5001 »

The job will have been re-posted because they need far far more than just you, and plenty of others will have dropped out or otherwise been unable to take the job, don't worry on that part.

Unless you have reasons you should have mentioned for the CRB checks that might prevent you from getting the job, or reasons you might fail to pass right to work, then I wouldn't worry about them being a bit slow, sometimes those things just take time, especially when they're running a lot of them at once.

So if you haven't lied anywhere and don't have a criminal record, I wouldn't worry about the timing too much. The repost is because people don't want this job any more, and I personally hope you haven't given up a reasonable job for this. If it's a stepping stone or your current job sucks, then that's fine, but I wouldn't hold my breath on this being a job to retire within, those days are gone.
Varboss

Post by Varboss »

Thank you for the reply, No I have a completly clean record and have been a good boy lol.

My current job is toxic. Basically when the manager isn't happy he sacks someone. I have a family to support so I don't want this worry, its horrible being expected to work in -19 temp for 4 hours at a time. Anything is better than this.

This doesn't really matter to me but il ask as someone might know. On the advert when I applied it said that £1500 maybe payable after 3 and 6 months if eligible. What is the eligibility for this?.
Noseatbelt

Post by Noseatbelt »

Take your notice back and stay put.
Technician14

Post by Technician14 »

I was “lucky” I got accepted and straight in. I’m semi retired and thought it would be perfect, part time and keep me active. After day 1 I knew I had made a mistake. No training , thrown right in at the deep end. No meal break , hope you can hold your urine for hours at a time coz there’s no toilet break😂. First day guy I was out with says I’m best to leave my phone in depot incase I “ lose it” when I said it’s ok it’ll be fine he said “well there’s no time to make phone calls😂 place is an absolute joke😂 lasted 3 weeks then left . Unless you really need a job don’t touch it with a barge pole 👍
Noseatbelt

Post by Noseatbelt »

Technician14 wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 00:29
I was “lucky” I got accepted and straight in. I’m semi retired and thought it would be perfect, part time and keep me active. After day 1 I knew I had made a mistake. No training , thrown right in at the deep end. No meal break , hope you can hold your urine for hours at a time coz there’s no toilet break😂. First day guy I was out with says I’m best to leave my phone in depot incase I “ lose it” when I said it’s ok it’ll be fine he said “well there’s no time to make phone calls😂 place is an absolute joke😂 lasted 3 weeks then left . Unless you really need a job don’t touch it with a barge pole 👍
Sounds very similar to my experience.
Technician14

Post by Technician14 »

I’d imagine to quite a few others as well. Why don’t they realise that just a couple of hours on site training and you would be all set? No disrespect but it’s not rocket science 🤷‍♀️ I actually enjoyed the job when out and about but there were too many times I just felt stupid . Shame on them for that. Pathetic really .