ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Driving

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
Sgt1313

Driving

Post by Sgt1313 »

Am applying for a postie with driving position (30hrs with Sundays). Couple of questions...

A) will I deffo be driving? Surely it isn't a van to each postie? I can drive and have a manual license but have driven an automatic for years.

B) assuming I will be working every Sunday, are my other two days off rolling and will sometimes involve a sat?

C) how flexible is OT. I care for my parents and need to leave within the hours advertised. I can be flexible on this week by week but can't vary hours daily if that makes sense...

Thanking you

PDAHappy

Re: Driving

Post by PDAHappy »

1) All new positions on delivery are advertised as driving.But if you are doing park and loop, there will only be one designated driver per van and the other Postie will be the walker.Don’t worry you’ll be busy enough delivering the larger parcels and delivering your own mail if your the driver, but in all probability you’ll be a walker to start with.
2)The majority of RM vehicles are manual ( accept the electric ones).You should be going out on and getting assessed on your driving ability by an external examiner who will produce a report stating whether you are competent to drive for RM.(Don’t think I ever heard of anyone failing this).
3)I wouldn’t assume anything about days off .You might be in a D.O. where your days off are fixed, rotating or at the managers whim ie. You come into work and are then told your not required and it’s day off.Same with holidays if you have anything already booked make sure they know as soon as you start preferably by text or email in case they “forget”.
4)The OT situation is again an office by office case, but rest assured when a managers says it’s an hours work it’s two.
5) The manager in all likelihood will not be interested in your personal circumstances as you are just more cannon fodder who probably won’t last a month in the job.
TopperGas

Post by TopperGas »

If you can't be flexible with your hours you may well have chosen the wrong company to work for, see how it goes in your first week or so but it seems most new starters are expected to work an hour or more over there allotted time each day.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by fb1969 »

If you are working on a Sunday you can pretty much guarantee you will be solo in a van delivering parcels.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
Foxel
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Foxel »

A) You won't get away without driving, some days you won't some days you will. As a new starter, you'll more than likely be a reserve and all over the shop. You'll be covering drivers, walkers and trolly pushers.

B) Days off will be based on staff needs, don't expect a weekend off. Rolling days off are for duty holders.

C) They will push OT at you hard as a new starter. But remember, you can always say no.
I'm turning purple!
guardianangel

Post by guardianangel »

Dont bother ,move on, anyone with caring responsibilities Royal Mail is not for you,they break the 2010 equality act on a daily basis,government legislation means nothing to them.
Postie7997

Post by Postie7997 »

Sgt1313 wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 08:52
Am applying for a postie with driving position (30hrs with Sundays). Couple of questions...
As another poster said if its Sundays you will likely be doing parcels which is the better option, but you will be driving on your own in a manual van.