ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Monthly pay period for new starters

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
T00the

Monthly pay period for new starters

Post by T00the »

Just received my first pay slip and it doesn't look right. Are we being paid from the 1st to 31st Aug or is there an earlier cut off?

Also I did my induction online at home, were they suppose to pay me for induction?

Many thanks

Scointer

Re: Monthly pay period for new starters

Post by Scointer »

You are paid in arrears so you should be paid from when you started till 31st August (if this is your first pay slip). The way it is done though is you will be given an annual pay which is divided into 12 equal amounts which means you get paid the same amount every month (obviously this doesn’t include any OT worked). Your first pay will be the monthly amount divided by the amount of days in that month and then times the amount of days from your starting date (this will be the full amount if you started on the 1st August). Your contract should state your official starting date and probably won’t include the induction course.

You should see a ‘pay rate’ in a header on your payslip, this is the 40 hour amount. Depending on how many hours your contract is for you should divide that by 40 and times how many hours you are contracted to get your monthly amount you should get every month for your base pay. For your first months pay divide that by the number of days in the month (31 in August) and time it by the days from the start of your contract date till 31st.
ted_e_bear

Post by ted_e_bear »

I'll add a tip, you need to ensure whatever overtime you've done is recorded accurately, keep a diary, maybe there's an option to ask the manager for a weekly print off so you can compare, they're notorious for underpaying overtime and it's bad enough for weekly paid staff never mind having to wait a month to discover it's still wrong.
T00the

Post by T00the »

ted_e_bear wrote:
25 Aug 2023, 06:06
I'll add a tip, you need to ensure whatever overtime you've done is recorded accurately, keep a diary, maybe there's an option to ask the manager for a weekly print off so you can compare, they're notorious for underpaying overtime and it's bad enough for weekly paid staff never mind having to wait a month to discover it's still wrong.
Thank you so much. It all make sense now. :thumbup
ted_e_bear wrote:
25 Aug 2023, 06:06
Thanks, yep I'm taking notes of the o/t. If the cut off for o/t is the 16th then I've been paid correctly.
PostMasterGenetal

Post by PostMasterGenetal »

You absolutely should be paid for the online training day of 6 hours speak to the finance guy in your office
PostieNoob

Post by PostieNoob »

I’m starting as postie soon, is it monthly or weekly pay? Keep seeing different answers online :nervous
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by fb1969 »

New starters since the end of last year are on different Terms and Conditions to those employed before then. One of those T&Cs is that you will be paid monthly.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
jonatkins

Post by jonatkins »

Quick question relating to pay...Is the hourly rate on the new contracts lower than the rate on old contracts?
I've recently rejoined and seem to be receiving a lower hourly rate than before and no delivery supplements etc...

Thanks
P13

Post by P13 »

jonatkins wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 19:03
Quick question relating to pay...Is the hourly rate on the new contracts lower than the rate on old contracts?
I've recently rejoined and seem to be receiving a lower hourly rate than before and no delivery supplements etc...

Thanks
Yes, lower hourly rate, no delivery supplements and no paid breaks unfortunately.
jonatkins

Post by jonatkins »

How does the no paid breaks work then, as surely you have to have a break by law and then finish when you finish so how can they differentiate between what I'm doing and what a colleague on an older contract is doing regarding breaks...? It doesn't make sense.
Valentina@1

Post by Valentina@1 »

Ask Dave ward👍
P13

Post by P13 »

jonatkins wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 19:09
How does the no paid breaks work then, as surely you have to have a break by law and then finish when you finish so how can they differentiate between what I'm doing and what a colleague on an older contract is doing regarding breaks...? It doesn't make sense.
You are legally entitled to a break, your not entitled to be paid for them though .
Racingpostie

Post by Racingpostie »

jonatkins wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 19:03

Thanks
Not to seem rude but didn't you look at the contract/job description before re-joining? Sundays are no doubt part of your shift pattern too then if they wasn't the last time you was with RM.
jonatkins

Post by jonatkins »

Yes I did, was rushed through a couple of weeks ago as I was temping and they were stopping temps that week. Aware of possibility of Sunday working and monthly pay etc but obviously no mention of removal of paid breaks and delivery supplement etc. Will have to look elsewhere I think as it seems grossly unfair to have such different conditions than colleagues doing the same job...