ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New postie starting soon looking for tips

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
smf333

Re: New postie starting soon looking for tips

Post by smf333 »

From a postie that's been with Royal Mail 35 years, the best tip I can give you is . . . . . . . LEAVE.

smf333

Post by smf333 »

twoloops wrote:
25 Aug 2023, 17:34
If you plan on staying 🙄 chuck a good £80+ on a good pair of walking shoes/trainers something like Merrells, the RM issue, not fit for purpose.

Do not feel or get pressured into joining the union, not worth the time & money, RM now do what they like unchallenged.
The only problem you have with that idea is that if you use your own footwear (unless it's medically advised) and have an accident you have no comeback, you might even be put on a warning/sacked. So, no matter how crap RM footwear is, if it's available use it.
guardianangel

Post by guardianangel »

smf333 wrote:
17 Dec 2023, 17:32
From a postie that's been with Royal Mail 35 years, the best tip I can give you is . . . . . . . LEAVE.
:chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :thumbup :thumbup
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Navalron »

twoloops wrote:
25 Aug 2023, 17:34
If you plan on staying 🙄 chuck a good £80+ on a good pair of walking shoes/trainers something like Merrells, the RM issue, not fit for purpose.

Do not feel or get pressured into joining the union, not worth the time & money, RM now do what they like unchallenged.
You can claim £44 from RM for footwear. The exact reasons and exceptions are online in RM intranet. I'm a union rep at DWP but as I worked at RM for years from posture to network driver I try and give advice to people on this site as some of the reps don't seem to know what's going on in their own jobs ffs. :thumbup
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Navalron »

TopperGas wrote:
12 Sep 2023, 22:10
PostieNoob wrote:
12 Sep 2023, 18:45
I am 2 weeks in now and have already been put on my own solo route (half industrial/half residential) after a few days training with a lovely co worker, I am struggling to get back to the office at similar times as the others but I guess that takes time, other than that I think my route is quite nice and easy.
Do you leave the office at the same time as that's half the battle? If you are taking hours longer than a regular postie then it will seem nice and easy but sooner or later the COM will be putting pressure on you to speed up get back on time.
Also make sure you take 30 mins break. As your on the new shitty contracts, you don't get paid for breaks unlike your fellow co-workers. There's a lot you will learn. The fact is your earning about £78 per week less, doing the exact same job as longer term posties. Also your Sunday's are still only £12.29 per hour as the new contracts don't get Sunday premium or Sunday overtime rate. The CWU are the laughing stock of most other unions at this time. SADLY.