ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New Starter few questions..

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
Postie7997

New Starter few questions..

Post by Postie7997 »

Hi all, im a new starter at Royail Mail delivering parcels. I am employed by RM not an agency on a permanent contract 5 days on 2 off.

I have a few questions , I have been told my days off will rotate every week on the following pattern. For example Mon - Tues off this week followed by Weds -Thurs off next week. I assume this cant be correct as this would mean working 7 days in a row before having any days off.

Most likely the manager in question is probably incorrect so is it more likely its Mon - Tues off this week followed by Tues-Weds off next week? Is it normal to work 6 days in a row but technically because its a different week it still counts as 5 on two off?

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by Postie7997 on 25 Jul 2023, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.

clashcityrocker

Re: New Starter few questions..

Post by clashcityrocker »

Your manager is probably correct.
It means every third week you have Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday. A super long weekend every 3 weeks.
5 days off in a row, a lot of people would kill for that.

If you are a newstart and you don't have compulsory Sunday in your contract it is a miracle.
Why not phone up Robin Hood
Postie7997

Post by Postie7997 »

Thank you for your reply but how does that make sense suddenly having 5 days off in a row? She made no mention of that happening just the 2 days off would go forward each week by 2 days so im not sure how that results in 5 consecutive days off.
clashcityrocker

Post by clashcityrocker »

week 1 - Mon Tues
week 2 - Weds Thurs
week 3 - Fri Sat (Sun)
week 4 - Mon Tues
Why not phone up Robin Hood
Postie7997

Post by Postie7997 »

Thanks again, sorry I see what your saying now but pretty sure Sunday is a working day for me so that wont apply. At least on my contract it states all days of the week are working days.

So if she is right

week 1 - Mon Tues
week 2 - Weds Thurs
week 3 - Fri Sat
week 4 - Sun Mon

then Tues Weds, Thurs Fri etc.

Still doesnt make sense to me as far as I know working 7 days in a row without a 24 hour period off illegal.
cheerful

Post by cheerful »

Until very recently posties got Sunday + 1 rotating day off, so Monday one week, then Tuesday the next... and every six weeks you'd get a Saturday at the end of the week off and a Monday at the start of next week, so a long weekend.

I'm assuming your manager is just trying to convert that system to a 2 days off, while including Sundays as a working day.

I'm also assuming the manager has probably only received a brief memo about the changes to the contract, and is unaware of any legal requirements.

I'm on a (rare) 4 day contract, I get Sunday + a rotating day off + whichever day they need me least (which is usually Monday or Tuesday, the absolute easiest days of the week).

If you mention to your manager about the legal requirements (maybe with a printout of them, since they probably won't know), then you'll likely end being given the easiest day of the week off.

Have a think on whether you'd rather do the wonky hours the manager thinks you should do, or have one rotating day+easiest day of the week off.
Postie7997

Post by Postie7997 »

Thanks for your help your probably correct in what your saying. Obviously I would prefer 2 days off in a row but it equates to working 7 days on, 2 off as opposed to 5 days on 2 off so cant even see how the numbers would work out correctly.

Ill try to clarify when im next in, thanks again
garrilla

Post by garrilla »

New-starts have been told they will be a 7-day 6 week rota.

Basically, you should get 2 days off each week, and it will shift forward by 1 day each week.

This will mean you work 5 days every week, but a different set of days each week.

In the 6th week, when the cycle returns, you get a block of 4 days off - two in wk 6 and 2 in wk 1

Wk 1 Mon/Tues
Wk 2, Tues/Weds
Wk 3, Weds/Thurs
Wk 4, Thurs/Fri
Wk 5, Fri/Sat
Wk 6, Sat/Sun
Wk 1, Mon/Tues
Etc

That's my understanding of it.

If your Office isn't open Sunday, you'll be assigned to an office that is.
Postie7997

Post by Postie7997 »

Yes garrilla I think your correct in what your saying, thank you for explaining it.
Wallsince70

Post by Wallsince70 »

Is there an upper age limit when RM recruit now for post person with driving ? And what is the retirement age now with RM ? is it in line with the state pension retirement age as in my case at 67 ? Many thanks in advance for any help .
P13

Post by P13 »

Wallsince70 wrote:
26 Jul 2023, 12:04
Is there an upper age limit when RM recruit now for post person with driving ? And what is the retirement age now with RM ? is it in line with the state pension retirement age as in my case at 67 ? Many thanks in advance for any help .
There is no retirement age anymore
Wallsince70

Post by Wallsince70 »

Thanks , so work till you die then basically?
ted_e_bear

Post by ted_e_bear »

Wallsince70 wrote:
26 Jul 2023, 15:09
It's 67 in line with state pension, I think the other comment relates to that ruling that your employer can no longer force you to retire when you reach normal retirement age.
Wallsince70

Post by Wallsince70 »

Many thanks for your help , are they allowed not to employ anyone if they’re in their late fifties? I’d guess not as you could go down the age discrimination road otherwise. Asking for someone I know that was all and he’s late fifties but as fit as a butchers dog .
P13

Post by P13 »

Wallsince70 wrote:
26 Jul 2023, 15:09
No, it's up to you when you want to retire, I know of colleagues still on deliveries in Royal Mail who are over 70.