ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

agency staffer, hours, problems at work

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
simonpostie

agency staffer, hours, problems at work

Post by simonpostie »

Hello,
I am new to royal mail, through an agency a few months. I am enjoying it but the hours thing is getting a bit daft. Job ad said, 1pm-7pm Mon-Fri. Got there, nope whatever days they ask apparently. "I can choose my days", said the agency and people at work. I use an online thing called joined up. I choose the days I am available and they put in what they need. This week I had three days. Now my supervisor is saying I HAVE TO do all Sundays. I spoke to my agency and guess what, they said speak to the manager. I have to go in Saturday and so will speak then. My supervisor is very pushy and says, "I have booked you for Sunday, so YOU ARE coming in Sunday". I mentioned the app and the text I got from a manager saying my hours/days which did not meniton Sunday. The supervisor said, "ignore the app, do the hours marked on the board". So a supervisor is telling me to ignore a manager???
What could I do about this besides finding a job elsewhere. I dont want to leave, I enjoy the job.

TopperGas

Re: agency staffer, hours, problems at work

Post by TopperGas »

What did you do yesterday? Seems you had two choices, call the manager's bluff and not work but risk not being given any more hours, or work yesterday in order to keep the manager happy?
ted_e_bear

Post by ted_e_bear »

Have a look at this thread

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=110706

Looks like royal mail are recruiting permanent staff so if the office your currently working at is advertising then they might not need you at all if they become fully staffed, obviously the other option if that's the case is maybe apply for the job but unfortunately of course that would come with the same issues.
Basildon Bond

Post by Basildon Bond »

simonpostie wrote:
14 Jul 2023, 13:56
Hello,
I am new to royal mail, through an agency a few months. I am enjoying it but the hours thing is getting a bit daft. Job ad said, 1pm-7pm Mon-Fri. Got there, nope whatever days they ask apparently. "I can choose my days", said the agency and people at work. I use an online thing called joined up. I choose the days I am available and they put in what they need. This week I had three days. Now my supervisor is saying I HAVE TO do all Sundays. I spoke to my agency and guess what, they said speak to the manager. I have to go in Saturday and so will speak then. My supervisor is very pushy and says, "I have booked you for Sunday, so YOU ARE coming in Sunday". I mentioned the app and the text I got from a manager saying my hours/days which did not meniton Sunday. The supervisor said, "ignore the app, do the hours marked on the board". So a supervisor is telling me to ignore a manager???
What could I do about this besides finding a job elsewhere. I dont want to leave, I enjoy the job.
Agencies (like Manpower? etc.) don't really control nor know what you'll be doing. Hence you cannot go with what they say. Delivery offices near each other may operate completely differently, with different hours and days you are needed. And the agency contact will not know the differences so they can only suggest general hours. They'll say anything to keep you engaged right up to the moment the gig is up - trust me.

The JoinedUp app is really just a way of you logging what you have worked so you get paid - make sure you fill in your hours daily and as soon after your shift as possible so there is no delay in you getting paid. Also look ahead in the work calendar and make sure they have booked you in to potentially work all the days your RM manager is asking you to work - you cannot submit hours if they haven't added you to the days first. Do not look at the work calendar like you have banked those days - they (or the gig) can get cancelled immediately.

If you enjoy the job look to get taken on as a member of staff - either at the local DO or one nearby. As an agency worker believe that it is just a temporary gig and you may be told you're not required at a moments notice (like being told in the morning that today is your last day without much of a thanks). Be prepared to be released at any point. You could be booked by the agency for the next month and think it's all good only to be told by your RM manager you're no longer required. It doesn't have to be because of your attitude or attendance either - it could just be a manager juggling numbers on a spreadsheet who has never met you.
Foxel
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Foxel »

Honestly, if you don't do the Sundays they will just stop giving you hours.
I'm turning purple!