ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Newbie looking for some advice on overtime

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
Groot

Newbie looking for some advice on overtime

Post by Groot »

Hi, I accepted a role this afternoon. It's only 20 hours a week but I've been told there's overtime available (apparently paid at 1.25)

Are both things true, is there usually a good amount of overtime available and will it be paid at a higher rate?

I just noticed that another depot posted an add today offering 30 hours. Would I have been better taking that or this one at 20, theory being if there was overtime available it'll be at the slightly higher rate.

Any advice will be appreciated

BenacreNick

Re: Newbie looking for some advice on overtime

Post by BenacreNick »

Yes you will soon be offered overtime, so I wouldn't worry :cuppa

And in the 3 week run up to Christmas you can work 80 hours if you so wish.

I used to......... but not anymore.
ted_e_bear

Post by ted_e_bear »

Sorry not a constructive answer but.....20 hours, what sort of piss are they taking ?

Presumably they didn't offer a 3 day week.
Groot

Post by Groot »

BenacreNick wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 17:27
Yes you will soon be offered overtime, so I wouldn't worry :cuppa

And in the 3 week run up to Christmas you can work 80 hours if you so wish.

I used to......... but not anymore.
Cheers for that.
Groot

Post by Groot »

ted_e_bear wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 20:55
Sorry not a constructive answer but.....20 hours, what sort of piss are they taking ?

Advert was 20 hours spread over 5 days, could be any days, to be honest i've no idea what to expect.
Scointer

Post by Scointer »

Hi, you will find that the new contracts only pay the overtime rate when you have worked over 40 hours in a week. Up to that everything is paid at normal rate (even though you are contracted for 20) including Sundays 😭
ted_e_bear

Post by ted_e_bear »

Groot wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 22:27
ted_e_bear wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 20:55

Advert was 20 hours spread over 5 days, could be any days, to be honest i've no idea what to expect.
Just wow, well in that case there'll definitely be overtime available.
richietns

Post by richietns »

Groot wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 17:18
Hi, I accepted a role this afternoon. It's only 20 hours a week but I've been told there's overtime available (apparently paid at 1.25)

Are both things true, is there usually a good amount of overtime available and will it be paid at a higher rate?

I just noticed that another depot posted an add today offering 30 hours. Would I have been better taking that or this one at 20, theory being if there was overtime available it'll be at the slightly higher rate.

Any advice will be appreciated
I would go for the 30 hours if its still there (20 hours over 5 days)...you might as well do 30 you will be going over your time anyway on 20 hours but will get better holiday pay etc on 30.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Scointer wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 22:30
Hi, you will find that the new contracts only pay the overtime rate when you have worked over 40 hours in a week. Up to that everything is paid at normal rate (even though you are contracted for 20) including Sundays 😭
Spot on except I think its 37 hours now not 40.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
Groot

Post by Groot »

Thanks for all the advice.

I’ve got an application i for the 30 hours so let’s see what happens.
Scointer

Post by Scointer »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 07:53
Scointer wrote:
Sadly not in the new contracts

Overtime pay will be paid at a rate of 1.25 (1.5 for public bank holidays in the country where you work). RMG calculates a standard full time week to be 40 hours. Pay up to full time hours (40) will be paid at your standard hourly rate. Overtime pay, beyond full time hours (40+1min) will be paid at a rate of 1.25 (1.5 for public bank holidays in the country where you work).

Along with paid monthly, unpaid meal break etc etc 😭😭😭
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Navalron »

it's 40 hours before overtime kicks
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 07:53
Scointer wrote:
It's 40 hours that overtime kicks in for All new contracts, at ££11:59 per hour, paid monthly, unpaid break, no delivery supplement, no Sunday premium. Yes the union have really f****d up big time.
Woody Guthrie

Post by Woody Guthrie »

Yes the union have really f****d up big time.
Royal Mail brought these contracts in while we were in dispute.

The union has at least commited the business to a review of the contracts.

The reality is whether we like it or not existing members have allowed the degradation of new entrants terms and conditions for as long as I've been here from pension provision to sick pay to compulsory Sundays.

We have all had the opportunity to make our voices heard over the years and have collectively stared at our shoes.

Even now very few of the no voters are interested in new entrant terms and conditions, just their own.
Only dead fish follow the current
Mrpmrp

Post by Mrpmrp »

Typical baby boomers. Stuff ur face at the trough, then leave it a mess for any youngers guys coming through
Noseatbelt

Post by Noseatbelt »

You won't get paid the overtime rate until you've worked full time hours for the week.