ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Royal Mail online assessments

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
mrpastry1958

Royal Mail online assessments

Post by mrpastry1958 »

I completed an online assessment regarding a job as Postperson (driver) in Alloa.
I was using my mobile phone (Samsung).
One of the assessments was 'Hazard perception'. Unfortunately whilst trying to complete it my phone stalled a few times, also each part timed out before the image was shown. Therefore the result will have looked like I could'nt identify driving hazards etc. This is annoying as I completed everything else.
I also have many certificates for completion of defensive driving courses {Aberdeen / Middle East / Australia) taken whilst working in the oil industry.
Will this have ruined my chances of at least getting an interview, seems pretty unfair ?
There's no one to contact in Royal Mail recruitment to discuss as all mails I've received appear to be non-contactable.

TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Royal Mail online assessments

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

It's unlikely that anyone on here is from recruitment as it's done centrally, so I don't think we can say with any authority whether its affected your chances or not.

However we have had various people say myapplication@royalmail.com is a working email, you could try them but be warned they can take a long time to respond.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
Norfolk 'N' Chance

Post by Norfolk 'N' Chance »

Thanks for putting that email up, Ill certainly give it a try, not that I expect a response.

For what its worth I applied for a part time postperson job at my local office, literally 200yards away. I filled in the questionnaire and uploaded my CV, did the online assessments within 24hrs as requested but have heard nothing since.

In the job advert it stated interviews were to be held week commencing 23/8, Looking on the vacancies page it now says position filled so Im guessing that as Ive not heard anything more, that the Applicant Tracking Software they use to screen CV's rejected me at the first pass? and the position has closed.

I know there must be hundreds of people applying for each job these days, its just id really built my hopes up on this being the one as so close to home and something that I know id be good at. Covid hasnt been kind to me, not a single penny in furlough so was hoping things might be on the up.

Any advice appreciated .... should I try again?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Any advice appreciated .... should I try again?

Yes, unless Royal Mail advises you to not apply for at least 6 months. It happens but is rare.
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
Norfolk 'N' Chance

Many thanks TrueBlueTerrier

I checked my application today just out of interest and it seems it was updated in the 23/08 and is marked as under review. Although the actual job post says its already been filled? so Im somewhat confused. Its probably that theres a lot of rejection emails to send and out and HR are just catching up, so although im slightly optimistic I feel ive missed it this time round.

I'll definately try again but id imagine that vacancies at the same delivery office dont come up that frequently, but i will definately Ill log on every few days to check. I have seen vacancies and other offices 30 to 40 miles away, but they are not quite as appealing as walking 200yrds the DO that Id applied for.

Just out of pure curiosity is there any merit in writing to the DOM and introducing ones self by letter saying that you've recently applied for a role but were not selected for interview etc. I wonder how busy they are and whether they would just dismiss my letter as laughable. I think if i were a hiring manager and received such a letter it would make me think that the person shows a willingness to work. Ill certainly wait to se what the final outcome of my application was, but I do wonder if a more direct approach would be frowned upon?

Having been out of work for a little while Id even go so far as offering to carry out an unpaid placement/training to gain an insight into the role. Again I guess this is probably logistically harder to facilitate than it appears.

Regards & thanks

Norfolk N Chance
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

is there any merit in writing to the DOM and introducing one's self by letter
Years ago I would have said popping down and introducing yourself would be a good idea. However even writing a letter is probably pointless, the recruitment is done centrally and the DOM has very little input as far as I am aware. Indeed when we get new starters its always a surprise to the managers.

However, if you have a Mail Centre close by it might be worth signing up with the local employment agency (Angard is an RM one) that sometimes gives an avenue to getting your foot in the door. Delivery Office use casuals rarely but it would be worth getting on Angards book just in case a chance comes up.
Norfolk 'N' Chance

Thankyou for your reply, and i kind of drew the conclusion that DOM's might not be that interested. reading between the lines its almost like the DOM's dont get much say in the choice of candidates selected for interview then? - I know im a bit out of touch as Ive been on a steep learning curve lately in undersrtanding how the ATS software works and how it scores CV's to select candidates. I just thought that the central HR team would send a pile of prospective candidates to the DOM and they'd have the final say on who they interviewed... i guess thats so last century!

I have previously looked at the Anguard, but thanks for mentioning it. I have registered my interest and also for xmas temp work. To be absolutely honest I would be open to a Zero hours contract on general availability. As i say im only about 200yrds from the depot, so hardly a long commute.

When i looked at the main RM website is says that they are an inclusive employer and support diversity having all types of people from all backgrounds. So that was inspiring. As a older worker (30+ years in safety critical industry) and what I think is strong accademic qualifications, I did wonder if maybe I was too qualified or even viewed as threat. Ive certainly had other interviews whereby the employing manager is half my age and clearly is rattled by some of the responses i have given and questions Ive asked at the end.

Anyway your response was much appreciated and I will stay positive and reapply as soon as the next opportunity comes up.
TopperGas

Post by TopperGas »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 08:33
Years ago I would have said popping down and introducing yourself would be a good idea. However even writing a letter is probably pointless, the recruitment is done centrally and the DOM has very little input as far as I am aware. Indeed when we get new starters its always a surprise to the managers.

However, if you have a Mail Centre close by it might be worth signing up with the local employment agency (Angard is an RM one) that sometimes gives an avenue to getting your foot in the door. Delivery Office use casuals rarely but it would be worth getting on Angards book just in case a chance comes up.
When my office recruited postie recently it seemed my DOM was directly involved in the recruitment including interviewing the candidates. If you only live 200 yds from the DO it might be worth calling in and handing in your CV personally. I don't believe Angard deal with the DO temps they are done via different job agencies?
Norfolk 'N' Chance

TopperGas wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 16:50
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
When my office recruited postie recently it seemed my DOM was directly involved in the recruitment including interviewing the candidates. If you only live 200 yds from the DO it might be worth calling in and handing in your CV personally. I don't believe Angard deal with the DO temps they are done via different job agencies?
Thanks I'll probably do that. I was errring on the side of caution after reading in another post how an ex employee was marched off the premises by the DOM. I certainly dont want to cause an issue, however in the current job market and being an older worker, I find that you really have to try everything to sell yourself and show willingness to work.
Correo

Post by Correo »

How long ago did you do the assessment? I heard nothing for weeks at each stage, so was genuinely surprised when I ended up getting the job. Took 2 months from initial application to starting employment.
Norfolk 'N' Chance

Correo wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 19:16
How long ago did you do the assessment? I heard nothing for weeks at each stage, so was genuinely surprised when I ended up getting the job. Took 2 months from initial application to starting employment.
Only just over a week since I did the assessment, so maybe Im too impatient. It said on the website that interviews would be week commencing 23/08 but i looked again today and my application just says its still under review?

Id just like to know one way or the other, but it would be nice to get an interview, at least that way Id feel that I was good enough to get past the ATS computer and state my case as to why Id like a job.

From what Ive read it seems like 90% of peeps get rejected by the ATS?

Despite the pleathera of info I have found on here about how everyone is being over worked and duties/targets being missed right left and centre, Im still pretty keen to work and give it my best shot.
TopperGas

Post by TopperGas »

Norfolk 'N' Chance wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 18:40
TopperGas wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 16:50
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Thanks I'll probably do that. I was errring on the side of caution after reading in another post how an ex employee was marched off the premises by the DOM. I certainly dont want to cause an issue, however in the current job market and being an older worker, I find that you really have to try everything to sell yourself and show willingness to work.
The best option for "older" workers seem to be to prove yourself as a Christmas temporary worker, then get taken on as a temporary or full time postie once the temporary contract finishes.
Norfolk 'N' Chance

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
24 Aug 2021, 08:59
It's unlikely that anyone on here is from recruitment as it's done centrally, so I don't think we can say with any authority whether its affected your chances or not.

However we have had various people say myapplication@royalmail.com is a working email, you could try them but be warned they can take a long time to respond.
I gave that email address a try this morning mate. Was worth a shot but I got an immediate reply saying;

Message blocked
Your message to myapplication@royalmail.com has been blocked. See technical details below for more information.
The response from the remote server was:

550 5.4.1 Recipient address rejected: Access denied. AS(201806281) [DB5EUR03FT010.eop-EUR03.prod.protection.outlook.com]

Maybe they switch it off when theres a lot of traffic being sent to them? - no pun intended, but answers on a postcard?

Regards Norfolk
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Norfolk 'N' Chance wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 09:38

Maybe they switch it off when theres a lot of traffic being sent to them? - no pun intended, but answers on a postcard?

Regards Norfolk
:left: :left: :left: :left: