ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Been agency for nearly 8 months now....

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
Ste.Mc

Been agency for nearly 8 months now....

Post by Ste.Mc »

Hi guys,

Not sure if I've posted this in the right place?

I started with Royal Mail back in October as agency knowing full well it was just temp cover work due to covid and xmas.

Myself and another 2 agency that started similar times came in and smashed it, worked all the hours thrown at us, done all the work required and more.... basically I've been working mostly 6 days a week since started (unless I ask for a day off)

There has been a lot of agency that started but as things started to wind down a little after xmas etc... majority of agency has been let go...

Myself and the 2 others mentioned above have all been promised permanent jobs by the depot manager, who we all get on with great and have absolutely zero reason not to believe that there are jobs available for us.

The 3 of us are working more hours than your normal posties (I'm averaging 45hrs a week) and know that if and when the contract does come in it will drop down to either 25 or 30 part time with the option of overtime if available instead of us just being expected to do the over time now (trying to keep them happy by doing what they require as still agency)

Long story short, as it's getting a bit quieter now.... the shielding have come back, long term sickness have started to come back etc.... the work just doesn't seem to be there.....

The union rep who has weekly meetings with the depot manager has said there is a quota for jobs that need fulfilling and that we are getting contracts soon, and the depot manager has been saying the same.... but we've been hearing this for months now.

Does anyone have any experience with agency being kept on permanently? Are we just been pulled along with the promise of a contract so that we do go that extra mile and do all the hours they want to get backlogs done etc.... then once it goes quiet they just get rid of us?

I'm off for a week after a small op and the other 2 agency have no work on today, 1 has been sent to another depot and 1 doing bits and bobs left over from what the regular posties haven't took out.... what are the chances of us being let go soon or being kept on, what does it sound like to others and anyone else experienced similar?

WalkerX

Re: Been agency for nearly 8 months now....

Post by WalkerX »

I started in a similar fashion and have been taken on a 25 hour contract a month ago as a reserve postie. It depends on the DO I think, but I can sympathise how you feel, as I did the same myself. The other guys that were taken on did n`t want to become posties, so I think they do part-time at other offices. Hope it all goes well for you. :wink:
Smir

Post by Smir »

no such thing as permanent jobs it seems, they come up, but they are all "until 2022" its a total joke, how is anyone meant to make a living, makes it even more of a job you do while you wait for a better one. I'd recommend you get your self a proper career, avoid RM.
TopperGas

Post by TopperGas »

There's a number of permanent jobs advertised on the RM jobs website, whilst they usually state that they are initially for 6 months it seems most new starters are then made permanent, unless they fail to meet a reasonable standard.

Perhaps there are no vacancies in your DO but that doesn't mean it's the case nationwide.