ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Working Permanently

An 'unofficial' forum for those who either work for Royal Mail or are looking to work for Royal Mail through the Angard Staffing Agency.This is an open forum.
sameer1haq

Working Permanently

Post by sameer1haq »

Is there anyway you can work permanently through the Agency or work through Royal Mail on a full time or part time basis? It is okay working through the agency but I rather have fixed hours and shifts instead of a zero hour contract
How do people get jobs through Royal Mail?
Thanks

Lockardian
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Working Permanently

Post by Lockardian »

All you can do is keep an eye on the Royal Mail website for vacancies. There aren’t many for mail sorters though.

You can apply for internal vacancies too so keep an eye on the noticeboard at your site.
paulus103
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Working Permanently

Post by paulus103 »

With any jobs that do come up - you will have to complete an online test prior to getting an interview
A certain score needs to be achieved to get an interview
Massive cheating takes place with the timed online tests so plan accordingly
I speak from experience on this
Best of luck
sameer1haq

Working Permanently

Post by sameer1haq »

So u still get interviewed even though you work through the agency?
dodado

Working Permanently

Post by dodado »

how come you can cheat the online tests?
NW11851

Working Permanently

Post by NW11851 »

Get a Manager/pal to sit with you Whilst you do the online assessment.

Happens
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL

Working Permanently

Post by Navalron »

NW11851 wrote:Get a Manager/pal to sit with you Whilst you do the online assessment.

Happens

If you need help with those tests you really need to go back to school. They are BASIC .
NW11851

Working Permanently

Post by NW11851 »

I was thinking about years ago in particular when Manage was reprimanded for completing the old manual forms on behalf of friends/relatives &c.

As for the present, last night I work with a young Angard lady from foreign parts who was sorting parcels. Repeatedly, she asked me “Where does the ‘GB’ postcode go?”. Words failed me!
paulus103
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Working Permanently

Post by paulus103 »

Navalron wrote:
NW11851 wrote:Get a Manager/pal to sit with you Whilst you do the online assessment.

Happens

If you need help with those tests you really need to go back to school. They are BASIC .
Absolutely basic but RM score them so the more accurate you are and quicker the better.
One job run had 2000 applicants for my office - I failed to get an interview but passed the test but was told I didn't pass it well enough
Took me 3 attempts to get an interview

I know of numerous cases where people have teamed up to answer the questions - normally family members or even managers/admin staff using RM offices and fill in tests together
paulus103
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Working Permanently

Post by paulus103 »

sameer1haq wrote:So u still get interviewed even though you work through the agency?
RM recruit two ways

1. Open to everybody - both agency and outside of RM / agency
2. Within agency staff only

Much harder to get a job with method 1 as normally lots more applicants

Both methods require passing a test and interview (although some RM family members might bypass this completely)

I got a job via method 2 and having worked for Angard for 2 years e.g. I knew questions to research before the test e.g. safe systems of work, managing change etc
I think RM is always looking to downsize agency usage but if the surge in parcels continues they might think about staffing
But
RM does want to increase automatic parcel processing but who knows if they will hit their targets on that
sameer1haq

Working Permanently

Post by sameer1haq »

How frequently do they put on perm jobs on Royal Mail? I’ve checked since Christmas Time every now and then and not seen anyone in Leeds. Do they usually recruit sorters at Delivery offices or just Mail centres?
paulus103
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Working Permanently

Post by paulus103 »

Fairly random I'd sign up the with the Royal Mail site and set up email alerts
"Do they usually recruit sorters at Delivery offices or just Mail centres?" - for me locally there was a lot of DO recruitment last year but only once at my mail centre
Warbo

Working Permanently

Post by Warbo »

Working at a Delivery Office D/O may give you more scope depending on where you live. Cities have multiple D/Os and depending how far you want to travel most towns have a D/O. Good luck and I hope you get sorted.
sameer1haq

Working Permanently

Post by sameer1haq »

Warbo wrote:Working at a Delivery Office D/O may give you more scope depending on where you live. Cities have multiple D/Os and depending how far you want to travel most towns have a D/O. Good luck and I hope you get sorted.
I have a few around 5 miles radius from me so there’s a few. I am currently 18 and have worked for around a year with Royal Mail but I’m considering an apprenticeship with RM cause surprisingly I do like working at Royal Mail and the pay is great and the work is not hard and it’s basic. I’ve gained tons of experience working through a mail centre etc. Is there usually any apprenticeships linked to Mail Centre or are they usually office based or mainly vehicle type apprenticeships

Thanks
paulus103
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Working Permanently

Post by paulus103 »

sameer1haq wrote:
Warbo wrote:Working at a Delivery Office D/O may give you more scope depending on where you live. Cities have multiple D/Os and depending how far you want to travel most towns have a D/O. Good luck and I hope you get sorted.
I have a few around 5 miles radius from me so there’s a few. I am currently 18 and have worked for around a year with Royal Mail but I’m considering an apprenticeship with RM cause surprisingly I do like working at Royal Mail and the pay is great and the work is not hard and it’s basic. I’ve gained tons of experience working through a mail centre etc. Is there usually any apprenticeships linked to Mail Centre or are they usually office based or mainly vehicle type apprenticeships

Thanks
Check the RM site and sign up for alerts - recruitment is a bit stalled at the moment, however - RM don't want to run training sessions or do face to face interviews