not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

What is statutory sick pay? : Zero hrs workers/self employed ect

17 Mar 2020, 14:43

You probably know all these guys but anyway...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51628524

18 Mar 2020, 10:53

I have just spoken to Angard payroll and asked the question regarding SSP/sick pay and was told if I send in a fit note from a GP I *may* qualify, but without a fit note SSP will not be considered. I explained that you don’t get a fit note if self-isolating and was told “we have no information yet about what to do”.

So, I assume that in normal circumstances you can’t claim SSP unless you’ve been sick for more than 7 days as they don’t appear to accept self-certification (unless you can get your GP to backdate a fit note to your first day of sickness), and if self-isolating you’re buggered for now until they get this “information”!

Or more likely Angard are talking out of their arses as usual.

EDITED TO ADD: I’ve since seen in that link that fit notes may be available via 111, so that’s something. Hopefully Angard allow you to claim SSP from your first day of sickness/isolation.

18 Mar 2020, 12:51

To get SSP people need to be earning at least £118 a week. Many people such as those on zero-hours contracts - who work variable hours every week - may earn less than this. The Trades Union Congress (TUC) has calculated that there are two million workers who are not eligible for SSP and Labour has asked the government whether they will now be covered.

18 Mar 2020, 14:09

How do they calculate whether you earn £118 a week or not in our case? Some weeks I earn £600, some weeks £60, some weeks zilch. Is it an average over a certain number of weeks?

18 Mar 2020, 14:27

Angard would know, tossers, possibly would be an average why they being awkward!

Statutory sick pay (SSP) is money paid by employers, so self-employed workers are not eligible, but casual or agency workers are.

18 Mar 2020, 16:38

Lockardian wrote:How do they calculate whether you earn £118 a week or not in our case? Some weeks I earn £600, some weeks £60, some weeks zilch. Is it an average over a certain number of weeks?

It's averaged over the previous 8 weeks, If you don't earn enough you can claim ESA or Universal Credit which basically means most people won't bother if they are just off for a week or two. Angard do not seem to understand self certification for the first 7 days and they insist on you sending them a fit note but never return them although they are only meant to take a copy and should not keep the original. Just send payroll this link if off for a week and they are asking for a fit note. https://www.gov.uk/taking-sick-leave

26 Apr 2020, 18:03

In the current climate, if you are sick for seven days or less - and would normally self certify - can you claim SSP from
Angard?

I don’t qualify for an isolation note as I did not appear to have COVID-19 symptoms (according to 111) but I was asked by RM to take 7 days off. Apparently it’s their policy that any staff member who they consider *may* have had COVID-19 (regardless of any medical diagnosis) must not attend for 7 days. Of course, their own staff would be paid, but where does that leave Angard staff?

26 Apr 2020, 18:41

This may help in the current situation.

Be patient, my case depended on some (possibly) fortuitous circumstances and I wasn’t actually seeking SSP but for a Angard to extend the 6-week break period, should it have become necessary.

Months ago, my GP surgery attached themselves to the LIVI video consultation service.
You can Google it.

With all of the extra and extremely long shifts worked during the last few weeks, mainly shifting (very) large and heavy Inward Large parcels, I strained the cartilages and ligaments in my chest. It was agony.

On and extended 14:00 to 22:00 shift, I had to tell my manager that I had to leave at 18:30. I could barely walk.

As I gained little respite at home on the following day, I cancelled all my Angard shifts for the next week.

On the Saturday I contacted the LIVI service and received a video consultation with a medic who agreed to issue a a sick Note.

The e-Sick Note arrived in my secure LIVI Inbox on Monday morning.

I saved it to my laptop hard drive then e-mailed details of my incapacity plus the Sick Note to Angard.

A few hours later, I received an email saying, almost plaintively, ‘We don’t know what to do with this. We’ve neve seen one before. It’s not on headed notepaper. It doesn’t have a wet signature.’

I replied drawing their attention to the present CV19 situation, that doctors were refusing to meet patients face-to-face and suggested that the matter be referred to a Senior Manager.

I heard nothing further but, on the following Friday pay day, £94 less income tax, arrived in my bank account marked ‘Statutory Sick Pay’.

So.......it can be done!

26 Apr 2020, 19:14

Thanks, that’s interesting.

My issue is that I can’t get an isolation note because I haven’t been told to self-isolate by a medical professional. I’m also unlikely to get any sort of sick note/fit note from a GP unless I have been ill for over 7 days, because you would normally self-certify for the first 7 days.

Do we know for sure that Angard do not accept self-certification? Would it be worth sending a self-cert form in to them?

27 Apr 2020, 08:37

Try it

27 Apr 2020, 15:54

NW11851 wrote:Try it

I have. I’ve filled in a self cert form and emailed it to them.

I also spoke to 111 again who told me I could have an isolation note as my employer had asked me to take sick leave.

Sent that too. Let’s see what happens.

06 May 2020, 01:43

Surprisingly I have received some SSP on this week’s payslip, but only £38.34.

How do they calculate this? I was absent for 7 days and submitted both a self-cert form and an isolation note I managed to get.

I worked on the Monday two weeks ago and was absent the rest of the week, resuming work the following Tuesday. So my absence spanned two weeks. Do they deduct money earned from shifts those weeks or anything?

Or is it an error? I’m still awaiting payment for two shifts from over a month ago, despite being told I would be paid them. Seems there are issues with payroll due to home working as someone else explained.

06 May 2020, 08:19

Their payroll systems probably automatically didn't pay the first 3 days for SSP as they are more than likely not set up for the current isolation 3 day exemption. You will have to contact payroll and get them to manually adjust the payment for the 3 days of SSP you are missing.

09 May 2020, 17:50

Thanks. I became so fed up with more and more errors with my pay week to week, and the unpaid shifts from weeks ago not being paid as promised, I emailed a manager from payroll directly about this and the SSP query. I had forgotten I had the contact details of this manager, but months and months ago I was asked to contact him directly about a query and found I still had the relevant emails, so figured it was worth a shot. Received a response within the hour, stating all back money and the remaining SSP would be paid this coming Friday. So whether the SSP situation was an error or just due to the way payroll was run, I don’t know. Will be interesting to see what the balance of the SSP will be.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1