not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Royal Mail accused of leaving Xmas temporary staff short of promised work

24 Dec 2019, 10:41

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris ... ol-3671049

"People had counted on this job and were completely misled and let down by Royal Mail."

Royal Mail has been accused of acting like Scrooge this Christmas.

The partner of a casual worker taken on at Patchway Delivery Office this month claims they have been left short of money as a result of a reduction in "guaranteed hours".

She told Bristol Live: "People had counted on this job and were completely misled and let down by Royal Mail."

The company has responded, saying it "employs people through agency arrangements when required".

The source, who lives in Filton with her partner and step-child, said her partner signed up to start work on December 9, with a "guaranteed" 31.5 hours a week ending on December 27.

She says there was also talk of work being available long-term for staff who performed well as Christmas temporary workers.

But after being told shifts would be 2-10pm, it transpired there would only be 6-10pm shifts running only up to Christmas.

It means that workers in that team will receive a week's pay of £190 before Christmas.

The source, who does not wish to be named, said: "After receiving the pay slips, there were mothers crying because they wouldn’t be able to afford Christmas.

"The whole team was generally upset. The workers had believed that they would have been given enough hours in the run up to Christmas.

"People had counted on this job and were completely misled and let down by Royal Mail.

"The managers on site were unsympathetic and told workers to call the Christmas helpline number.

"The helpline is automated and unmanned and no one responds to emails.

"For many, Christmas has been ruined.

"If they knew that they were cutting hours and laying everyone off before Xmas, they could have at least ensured that the workers were paid for their full two weeks' work before Christmas.

"These workers signed up for full time hours and waited weeks for the work to start.

"Everyone said that they would have sought work elsewhere had they known that Royal Mail would do this."

A Royal Mail spokesperson said: "Royal Mail recruits temporary workers to help deal with fluctuating volumes of work at different times of the year.

"This recruitment is particularly high at peak periods such as Christmas where temporary workers deal with increased volumes of Christmas post and parcels generated by online Christmas shopping.

"Like many other businesses, Royal Mail employs people through agency arrangements when required.

"We deploy temporary workers across different shift patterns and days depending on the fluctuation in work that comes through or unexpectedly high levels of sickness.

"Royal Mail also permits agency workers to work for other companies if they wish to do so.”

27 Dec 2019, 18:00

yeah right
Last edited by PROPERMONKEY on 28 Dec 2019, 11:46, edited 2 times in total.

27 Dec 2019, 18:23

It's not unusual for xmas casuals to get sent home early if less work comes in than forecast

27 Dec 2019, 19:12

I think that being hired on the basis of 14:00 to 22:00 shifts and upon arrival being told that the shifts were actually only 18:00 to 22:00 is slight different.

They weren’t being sent home early due to lack of work; they were being told not to go in, no matter what work was going to be available. RM Managers using their well-known crystal balls to foretell work yet to arrive!

Having agreed contracts for 2 to 10pm, it is arguable that RM should have honoured the START time.

Must have been dispiriting for the RM Christmas Casuals there.

At ‘my’ MC, I was not aware of this happening. BUT loyal Angard staff definitely received far few shifts through Christmas as the over-supply of RM Casuals pushed us to one side.

The Angard casuals who were certain of receiving shifts were ‘the usual 12’, paying rent for accommodation to a Senior Manager and those reputed to be paying back-handlers to junior management to be given shifts.

It’s all very nasty.

27 Dec 2019, 19:59

favoritism nepotism corrupt to the core thats royal mail

27 Dec 2019, 21:03

NW11851 wrote:I think that being hired on the basis of 14:00 to 22:00 shifts and upon arrival being told that the shifts were actually only 18:00 to 22:00 is slight different.

They weren’t being sent home early due to lack of work; they were being told not to go in, no matter what work was going to be available. RM Managers using their well-known crystal balls to foretell work yet to arrive!

Having agreed contracts for 2 to 10pm, it is arguable that RM should have honoured the START time.

Probably a lot of it was down to budget, if there wasn't any budget for them then they probably weren't brought in no matter what work was available

27 Dec 2019, 21:22

True. But, then, they were hired under false pretences that work would be provided at 14:00

28 Dec 2019, 08:23

PROPERMONKEY wrote:dog s**t organisation scum of the earth

I see from other posts you are seeking employment from Royal Mail. They are aware of this site and do peruse it regularly if you were struggling before you just made it even harder now.

28 Dec 2019, 18:48

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:

I see from other posts you are seeking employment from Royal Mail. They are aware of this site and do peruse it regularly if you were struggling before you just made it even harder now.

good i hope the high command is reading this. i burn my bridges i didn't have any bridges to burn and i will tell you why i work for royal mail on and off for last three years as a angard casual (scar for life) and as a royal mail christmas casual and in that time god knows how many times i've applied in my local delivery office and just outside my home town and yet i can not get one single interview at the same time there people who can't speak english they get a job straight away oh i forgot diversity is our strength yeah right but it's just me it's other casual who get treated like s**t can you understand why i my so PISSED OFF

28 Dec 2019, 20:47

PROPERMONKEY wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:

good i hope the high command is reading this. i burn my bridges i didn't have any bridges to burn and i will tell you why i work for royal mail on and off for last three years as a angard casual (scar for life) and as a royal mail christmas casual and in that time god knows how many times i've applied in my local delivery office and just outside my home town and yet i can not get one single interview at the same time there people who can't speak english they get a job straight away oh i forgot diversity is our strength yeah right but it's just me it's other casual who get treated like s**t can you understand why i my so PISSED OFF

Understand why you are pissed off.. so why do you keep coming back for more s--t treatment :hmmmm

28 Dec 2019, 20:51

PROPERMONKEY wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:

Hopefully im not reading too much into your post but does seem like bit rascist..

31 Dec 2019, 00:29

Please don't raise the racism flag.

This is happening all over RM and whether you work for ANgard of RM it is becoming obviouos that, racxism or not, there is certainly a clash of cultures where Middle and Far Eastern employment practices are taking place to the detriment of tjhose not from those parts of the world.

In some cases, I understand that specifics have been reported to the Whistleblowing Line.

It's not racist to report on things that are being seen to be taking place almost every day/week, which go against previously accepted standards of behaviour.

11 Jan 2020, 16:41

When you go for Christmas Casual interview (early Oct this year) beforehand you are able to read the full term & conditions in the 11 page document available to you as an attachment.
In one WORK section it states:
Notwithstanding anything stated in your offer letter, it is entirely at Royal Mail’s discretion whether to offer you work and it is under no obligation to provide work to you at any time. Royal Mail may offer you work from time to time in the job title set out in your offer letter but these hours of work are not fixed and are likely to increase or decrease depending on Royal Mail’s demand for work at a particular time. Therefore, there may be days on which you are offered longer hours and there may be days on which Royal Mail has no work for you to do. You are under no obligation to accept any work offered by Royal Mail at any time but if you accept an engagement, you must inform Royal Mail immediately if you will be unable to complete it or will be unable to attend work on any day for any reason and you will not be paid in respect of any period when you do not work.

For the Christmas 2018 provisional offer of employment mine read 5 nights (Mon) 00:00 - 06:00 & Tues - Friday 22:00 - 06:00.
In 35 shifts I only worked those hours once with about a dozen different starting times from 20:00 (1 night overtime), 21:30 to 02:30.
The first couple of weeks there were quite a few 02:30 - 06:30 (4 hour shifts) and as a result my Mail Centre experienced a high drop out rate with people messed up with lifts, or relying on public transport to get them there and back.

The previous Christmas (2017) my contract finished on Dec 19 (05:00) without ever getting to Dec 23rd scheduled end.

This year my Christmas 2019 provisional offer of employment read 5 nights (Mon-Fri) 23:15 - 06:15. This Royal Mail largely adhered to with a reduced drop out rate of Casuals. There were a few earlier starting times and some later 00:15.
This year I have been lucky being called back for extra nights after being told my finish was Dec 20. I was at home able to receive phone calls about extra shifts and did not refuse any so am very grateful of the extra money.

It certainly pays to read the full original Terms Of Employment but is disappointing for that person at Bristol on what they thought they might get but didn't.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1