ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

application unsuccessful due to security?!

An 'unofficial' forum for those who either work for Royal Mail or are looking to work for Royal Mail through the Angard Staffing Agency.This is an open forum.
mcr88

application unsuccessful due to security?!

Post by mcr88 »

i worked for royal mail last christmas and i applied to do so again this christmas.

i took my assessment in september and i passed with 95%, gave them all the relevant security documents, considered it done and i was waiting to hear back.

i just checked my application online and i'm amazed to see it says unsuccessful!

i called angard who were as surprised as i am. they checked my application and it says unsuccessful due to security.

i have no idea why this is! i have sent copies of my passport, insurance number and proof of address to their security place in sheffield, as instructed by angard to be double checked.

the only thing i can think of is a ridiculous caution i got for not having a £2 train ticket on a train in january. seems ridiculous for that to be the problem...

any ideas?

thanks

arnold cheshire

Re: mdec security fail?!

Post by arnold cheshire »

ive =once worked with a postie who was done for assualt and got 150 hrs community service before he was a postie who knows how it works ! :evil/mad
Luther101

Re: application unsuccessful due to security?!

Post by Luther101 »

Man that sucks, I was charged with fare evasion for not having the correct train ticket and I didnt think to include that on the application form since this was years ago. Apparently if you don't state it in the application no matter how minor the caution or charge is it comes back as security failed as you wasnt upfront about it, since they view this as you been dishonest.

Let us know how you got on, hopefully its a misunderstanding.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

mcr88 wrote: the only thing i can think of is a ridiculous caution i got for not having a £2 train ticket on a train in january. seems ridiculous for that to be the problem...

any ideas?

thanks
Yes I am afraid that the caution is possibly the reason.

Did you disclose the police caution on application because it can be disclosed on even a standard CRB check.

Also as its technically an "Honesty" offense (theft etc) they have taken a certain view as to the non disclosure.

However, I am not a legal expert so I may be wrong.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
Now retired
kuli

Post by kuli »

Can someone tell me what the security checks entail please?
fishtank

Post by fishtank »

kuli wrote:Can someone tell me what the security checks entail please?
The CRB check searches your details against criminal records and other sources, including the Police National Computer. The check may reveal convictions, cautions, reprimands and warnings.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
kuli

Post by kuli »

how far back do they do the crb checks, i was caautioned back in feb 2001 for a minor offence. Will this effect my application?
NWpostie

Post by NWpostie »

A Caution is almost the same as a Criminal conviction when it comes to CRB clearance, being cautioned means you have accepted your Guilt and got a bollocking instead of a court case, as far as the Police concerned its good for their crime statistics with less hassle.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
kuli

Post by kuli »

So thats my xmas job chance gone down the drain then?!
MinisterofCucumber

Post by MinisterofCucumber »

"Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 a person with a criminal record is not required to disclose any spent convictions unless the position they are applying for, or are currently undertaking, is listed as an exception under the Act."

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publicatio ... iew=Binary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RMG are not listed as an exception under the Act and that is why they can only ask you to agree to them carrying out a basic disclosure check.

"Basic Disclosure contains only convictions considered unspent under The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974."

http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/what-is-disclosure/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RMG's security checks form asks applicants for information RMG are not entitled to ask for, i.e. cautions and motoring offences.

Mcr88 did not have to disclose her spent caution but because she did, she has been punished.
"You wanna f**k with me? Okay. You wanna play rough? Okay. Say hello to my little friend!" - Tony Montana
fishtank

Post by fishtank »

kuli wrote:So thats my xmas job chance gone down the drain then?!
As long as it's spent it won't show up on the basic disclosure Royal Mail use.
Standard and Enhanced do show spent convictions.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
mcr88

Post by mcr88 »

i disclosed it on the forms after taking my assessment. i was completely upfront about it.

i paid a fine for it. it was in january 2011. so it is a spent conviction.

not sure if i am being paranoid, i hope it is a mistake. seems very unfair.

when i questioned it, i was asked to send copies of my passport/proof of address etc to royal mail security vetting in sheffield. i am still waiting to hear back after 6 days.
mcr88

Post by mcr88 »

i'll add too, that the guy at the assessment made a very big deal about owning up to any convictions, as big or small as they are. it is why i wrote it, just to be sure.
mcr88

Post by mcr88 »

it seems i am being punished either way. if i didn't admit it, and because i have admitted it.
Diane39

Post by Diane39 »

I was in the same position as yourself, when at Uni i recieved a caution for drinking in a puplic place, i did not disclose this on the application and i passed the security checks. I don't know what they exactly look for however it looks like with you disclosing the caution they have possibly held it against you. :sad: